Kitsworld 1/72 Lancaster Decals

AndrewMi

Hi

I recently bought a Second hand Raf Bomber command which comes with A Lancaster and the resupply set. It came without the decal sheet and while I was looking for a new one for the Lancaster which came with the stencils and I saw this one by Kit world. I have never heard of them before and I was wondering if the where good quality decals. The last decal set I bought disintegrated, so I want to make sure that this one won’t do this. I was also wondering if there is a decal sheet for the resupply vehicles.

y4m2ocX2vF84Ch_aGr7NUKGUiSIzldurr5YAiadG

I've used a few Kits World sheets and they've always gone on okay. Have also never had break-up / adhesion problems with Xtradecal, who have lots of Lancaster options e.g.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php?adv=1&product_category_id=&product_division_id=&manufacturer_id=8274&product_type_id=&code=&scale_id=956&keyword_search=lancaster

Edited by Work In Progress

The Kits World decals work well enough.

Having a photograph of the actual aircraft at the actual time you wish to portray it is helpful and often a difficult task to achieve.

Kits World decals tend to a looser interpretation of aircraft.

Their Ploesti B-24D decals exhibit ball turrets that were not present.

Several of their B-17G decals freely mix Boeing and Cheyenne modification tail turrets that are contradicted by the photographic evidence.

Your Nick the Nazi Neutralizer artwork looks okay, particularly if you check it against photographs of the aircraft. The one I am looking at is in Garbett and Goulding's Lancaster at War, p.120.

Still, they can get loose with their interpretation of Lancs too. Their decal set KW172030 shows Keith Parsons' 460 Sqn Lancaster devoid of an H2S blister which it had at the time it was lost, (along with AGLT rear turret and almost certainly paddle bladed props - in earlier correspondence with hovering ).

As for Xtradecals from Hannants, they may well have mistakes, but if they have, I am yet to find or hear of them and they work very well.

Michael

• Like 1

I have one of their other Lancaster sets.  When compared to other Lancaster decals, I found that the red color is too vibrant.  I plan to use a combination of aftermarket roundels and code letters, but will use the decal sheet's nose art.

• Like 1

What decals do you have in the box the kit came in?

If no walkways there, have a look at your local ebay site for someone else's spares.

Or go with the Kits World ones,

Michael

Even my old 1979/1980 Airfix Lancaster kits came with the walkway markings.  I am pretty sure that even the new Airfix and recent Hasegawa and Revell kits came with those markings are well.

The only other decals that I recall coming with those markings were the Arrow Graphics and Zotz's Sexy Lancs sheets - both of which are long out of production and difficult to come by.  I believe that the Sky Models Lancaster sheet also has a set of those markings.

13 hours ago, Michael51 said:

What decals do you have in the box the kit came in?

On 6/1/2020 at 1:41 PM, AndrewMi said:

It came without the decal sheet

The forthcoming re-issue of the Lancaster I/III kit is currently on pre-order and will soon be available new ex stock from Airfix - https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/avro-lancaster-b-i-b-iii-1-72.html - and in my experience they are usually happy to sell decal sheets separately for kits they have available in numbers. If you are not in a rush you could wait until it comes in, which probably will be in the next moth or two, and then  contact them via https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/contact explaining you bought a kit which came with no decals and asking if they will sell you a set for A08013A separately.

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 1

On 02/06/2020 at 03:41, Wm Blecky said:

I have one of their other Lancaster sets.  When compared to other Lancaster decals, I found that the red color is too vibrant.  

+1 for your comment.

I too feel that the red is too bright with their code letters

SD