1/72 WW2 Dutch Aircraft

2996 Victor

I've got one of those MPM T.VIII's. I can't comment on it as I haven't had it out of the box since I bought it 10 years ago. It is one of the older MPM releases.

49960767267_ee16aac890_o.jpg

Chris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alt-92 said:

Every now and then, a single 1/72 T-8W from MPM makes it to some well-known auction site.

The model represents the early short-fuselage R-1 to R-6 aircraft for the MLD*.

However, being rare as hen's teeth, be prepared to see prices of 70/80€.

(which incidentally means the included markings can't be used but hey-ho it's a T-8W)

Hope you'll forgive my ignorance, but is the T-8W the Douglas DB-8, or have got the wrong end of the stick?

Thanks and kind regards,

Mark

Edit: I've got the wrong end of the stick. Lol!

Edited by 2996 Victor

Does yours have the decal correction sheet?

@seahawk : looks like an odds'n ends lot:

reduced price due no boxes left

No.  The T-VIIIW was a Fokker design, the Douglas DB8 was a single-engined attack aircraft designed by Jack Northrop, and perhaps better known for the retractable undercarriage version the A-17, or Nomad.  I have a feeling that someone, obviously MPM, did the experimental land version the T-9 but I may be imagining this.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Graham Boak said:

I have a feeling that someone, obviously MPM, did the experimental land version the T-9 but I may be imagining this.

You may be thinking of this one:

• Like 1

Any views on the Pioneer 2 or PM 1/72 Fokker D.XXI kits viz a vis accuracy?

Thanks in advance and kind regards,

Mark

Edited by 2996 Victor

9 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Any views on the Pioneer 2 or PM 1/72 Fokker D.XXI kits viz a vis accuracy?

Thanks in advance and kind regards,

Mark

PM and Pioneer 2 are the same kit. The same plastic also came out as a Matchbox kit.  The Frog kit was a Frog original.  There is a comparison of the two kits here:

https://modelingmadness.com/review/allies/dutch/bakerd21.htm

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

PM and Pioneer 2 are the same kit. The same plastic also came out as a Matchbox kit.  The Frog kit was a Frog original.  There is a comparison of the two kits here:

https://modelingmadness.com/review/allies/dutch/bakerd21.htm

Hi WiP,

many thanks for the link - there's a great deal of info contained there and it's helped with making a semi-informed D.XXI choice, at least I think it has!

As both the Frog and PM/Pioneer 2 kits have their limitations in various areas and aren't that cheap to pick up I think I'm going to go with the MPM kit, but as the Dutch versions of that are rarer than hen's teeth and the Hi-tech issue of Finnish version is still available, that's what I think I'm going for. As far as I can gather from the ModelingMadness link, the primary differences between the Dutch and Finnish machines are:

• cowling blisters
  • vee-shaped tailplane struts
  • a small venturi tube on the fuselage port side ahead of the cockpit
  • a landing light faired into the starboard wing leading edge
  • wingtip navigation lights
  • two under-fuselage air scoops
  • different pitot location
  • different gunsight

The description of the MPM Hi-tech Finnish version states that the skis are resin parts, so I'm hoping 🤞 that the parts for the spatted wheel undercarriage are still included among the mouldings..... Apart from that, to my untutored eye at least, a little judicious sanding and fettling should do the trick.

Am I setting myself up for a fall? Thoughts, please!

Kind regards,

Mark

4 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

The description of the MPM Hi-tech Finnish version states that the skis are resin parts, so I'm hoping 🤞 that the parts for the spatted wheel undercarriage are still included among the mouldings

They are. There is a review of that kit showing the sprues here

http://kits.kitreview.com/sh72526reviewbg_1.htm

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

two under-fuselage air scoops

The first intake is for the updraft carburetor; the second is for the oil cooler; I remember I had to scratchbuild both of them and the exhaust pipe and venturi when I did my 1/72 Frog DXXI in Finnish colors and markings. Good luck on your build! The DXXI is a handsome little spud.

Mike

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 72modeler said:

The first intake is for the updraft carburetor; the second is for the oil cooler; I remember I had to scratchbuild both of them and the exhaust pipe and venturi when I did my 1/72 Frog DXXI in Finnish colors and markings. Good luck on your build! The DXXI is a handsome little spud.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for the extra info! As I understand it, the Dutch (and Danish?) machines had only one scoop, which must be the carburettor intake, of course - presumably there weren't dedicated oil coolers on them?

I'm looking forward to this build, but it'll be a little while yet as I'm only a recent returned to aircraft modelling and still getting started!

Kind regards,

Mark

19 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

presumably there weren't dedicated oil coolers on them?

Yes, they had oil coolers, but I think the Mercury-powered variants had two tubes with flared ends that were located just inside the cowl nose ring that fed the oil cooler- the same setup as used on the Blenheims, IIRC. @Antti_K or @antti will know, for sure, where the Finnish versions are concerned.

Mike

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Yes, they had oil coolers, but I think the Mercury-powered variants had two tubes with flared ends that were located just inside the cowl nose ring that fed the oil cooler- the same setup as used on the Blenheims, IIRC. @Antti_K or @antti will know, for sure, where the Finnish versions are concerned.

Mike

Ah-ha! Every day's a school day, as they say! I never knew what those intakes were for until now, although I can remember getting into a right mess with my Airfix Blenheim IV (40-odd years ago....) trying to fix them in place! 😁

Many thanks, Mike!