Jump to content

1/72 WW2 Dutch Aircraft


Recommended Posts

Dear All,

 

as a returning aviation modeller and newbie to the forum, if this is in the wrong place please feel free to move it!

 

I've not been involved in aircraft modelling for 25+ years, so I'm definitely out of the loop when it comes to what is available and what is good! I'd like to build a few early WW2 aircraft, and I was wondering if anyone could advise if the 1/72 MPM Fokker D.XXI is a good kit, i.e. is it (relatively) accurate and does it go together (relatively) well? Also, the Dutch version seems to be a bit thin on the ground, so I was wondering if the Danish version is the same apart from armament?

 

Similarly, what is the opinion of the 1/72 Valom Fokker T.V?

 

Apologies if the foregoing is going over old ground, and thanks in advance for any advice!

 

With kind regards,

 

Mark

Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome aboard! 

 

I don't have specific info for you,  but I suggest you look on this site for build threads. If you can't find the specific kits,  perhaps build threads for MPM and Valom kits will provide some guidance.

 

You can also search for online reviews. Here's one that may help.

 

Another useful resource can be scalemates. They try to present comprehensive info on kits, including what boxings are available, how the boxings differ, e.g., new decals, new parts, &etc. They may also have scans of the instructions, pets to reviews, available after-market parts. 

Here's one that might help.

 

HTH

-- 

dnl

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have laid the MPM's D.XXI onto plans from Suomen Ilmavoimien Historia publication, and it checks out pretty good in terms of shape accuracy.

 

One thing You have to take note is that there were some minor differences between Dutch, Danish and Finnish versions.

Here's a great WIP thread by BaddEdd (Romanian forum), explaining these differences.

 

On a side note - as well as MPM D.XXI is done, stay away from their Fokker G.I if You want an accurate model of a Dutch aircraft...

Plenty of nearly in-correctable shape errors, and not worth the effort, IMHO...

 

Regards,

Aleksandar

Edited by warhawk
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

More practical:
Here's the sprue shots for the Valom T-V.
As is more often the case, lesser known subjects tend to appear in small/limited-run kits. The Valom is a good example, mixed media (resin, PE and plastic).

You'll notice the absence of locating pins and such, but also that the parts themselves are pretty finely molded.

 

y4m68Jj30CefpR44fBfA2lWCvXTxMGU3yvicgpCx

 

y4mJvcEhWJnB3beOrGaLIvhbsKU5iYyDjw65j6xc

 

y4mtZvDc5SLrPDsmuaCXva2QioDCeGL8aNIwUgbv

 

y4mHsFk3ojsiVWEzZA2jviBrcD0Y7QC0s5oyJiMa

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

These are both limited-run kits which you can normally expect to be more challenging than the more mainstream modern kits in terms of fit. You will want to go slowly and do lots of test-fitting and be ready to adjust the fit of parts as you go.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

There is also a nice little kit of the Koolhoven 51 - not sure who by but same comments apply.  Special Hobby also include a Dutch Fw 58 Weihe in their range.  There was a Fokker T.8W from Aviation Usk, but there's little chance of finding that.  Azur do an FK 58 fighter, but French markings of course.   If you stretch to Netherlands East Indies there is a much wider range.  I suggest you look for Dutch Decals for sources of Dutch markings for a wider range of options of largely non-Dutch built types.  If you stretch to "would-have-beens" the Dutch had ordered the Do.215 but they were taken over by the Luftwaffe before delivery.

 

There was going to be a Fokker C.V range but I don't recall it ever appearing.

 

The better modern short-run kits will be fairly compatible with mainstream 25 years ago, but with no locating pins and extra resin/etched metal parts.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

There was going to be a Fokker C.V range but I don't recall it ever appearing.

y4ml7-G2agbmE6L8y53KscVf-8I9BJfr5vy3guS6

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dnl42 said:

Welcome aboard! 

 

I don't have specific info for you,  but I suggest you look on this site for build threads. If you can't find the specific kits,  perhaps build threads for MPM and Valom kits will provide some guidance.

 

You can also search for online reviews. Here's one that may help.

 

Another useful resource can be scalemates. They try to present comprehensive info on kits, including what boxings are available, how the boxings differ, e.g., new decals, new parts, &etc. They may also have scans of the instructions, pets to reviews, available after-market parts. 

Here's one that might help.

 

HTH

-- 

dnl

 

Hi @dnl42,

 

many thanks for your kind words of welcome and the links you've added.

 

The ModellingMadness review is comprehensive and suggests that its a good kit. I've some experience in short-run and multi-media kits, although as I think I mentioned, not for some considerable time! However, the links suggest that a multi-media kit of today is streets ahead of those 25 years ago!

Thanks again and kind regards

 

1 hour ago, warhawk said:

I have laid the MPM's D.XXI onto plans from Suomen Ilmavoimien Historia publication, and it checks out pretty good in terms of shape accuracy.

 

One thing You have to take note is that there were some minor differences between Dutch, Danish and Finnish versions.

Here's a great WIP thread by BaddEdd (Romanian forum), explaining these differences.

 

On a side note - as well as MPM D.XXI is done, stay away from their Fokker G.I if You want an accurate model of a Dutch aircraft...

Plenty of nearly in-correctable shape errors, and not worth the effort, IMHO...

 

Regards,

Aleksandar

 

Hi Aleksandr,

 

thanks for confirming the accuracy of the outline - that sounds really promising! I realise there were differences between the various operators' versions, but I'm hoping they were only detail (Finnish skis aside, of course!). Thanks also for the link to BaddEdd's thread, I've had a look through and it looks very interesting - I'll have another look later on!

 

Shame about the MPM G1, though! It's a rare kit and I was thinking of looking for one despite their price, but perhaps I won't bother.....!

 

Thanks again and kind regards

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alt-92 said:

More practical:
Here's the sprue shots for the Valom T-V.
As is more often the case, lesser known subjects tend to appear in small/limited-run kits. The Valom is a good example, mixed media (resin, PE and plastic).

You'll notice the absence of locating pins and such, but also that the parts themselves are pretty finely molded.

 

y4m68Jj30CefpR44fBfA2lWCvXTxMGU3yvicgpCx

 

y4mJvcEhWJnB3beOrGaLIvhbsKU5iYyDjw65j6xc

 

y4mtZvDc5SLrPDsmuaCXva2QioDCeGL8aNIwUgbv

 

y4mHsFk3ojsiVWEzZA2jviBrcD0Y7QC0s5oyJiMa

 

Hi @alt-92,

 

many thanks for the photos of the T.V, the mouldings look rather nice, so I think one of those might find its way onto my list of projects!

 

With kind regards,

 

Mark

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

There is also a nice little kit of the Koolhoven 51 - not sure who by but same comments apply.  Special Hobby also include a Dutch Fw 58 Weihe in their range.  There was a Fokker T.8W from Aviation Usk, but there's little chance of finding that.  Azur do an FK 58 fighter, but French markings of course.   If you stretch to Netherlands East Indies there is a much wider range.  I suggest you look for Dutch Decals for sources of Dutch markings for a wider range of options of largely non-Dutch built types.  If you stretch to "would-have-beens" the Dutch had ordered the Do.215 but they were taken over by the Luftwaffe before delivery.

 

There was going to be a Fokker C.V range but I don't recall it ever appearing.

 

The better modern short-run kits will be fairly compatible with mainstream 25 years ago, but with no locating pins and extra resin/etched metal parts.

Hi Graham,

 

many thanks for your post and suggestions - was the Koolhoven operational? I'm also thinking in terms of the ML-KNIL operations in the face of the Japanese, and I'll certainly have a look at the Dutch Decals range.

 

Thanks again and kind regards,

 

Mark

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

There was going to be a Fokker C.V range but I don't recall it ever appearing.

 

49 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

y4ml7-G2agbmE6L8y53KscVf-8I9BJfr5vy3guS6

 

 

 

 

47 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Did all the variants appear or just that one?

 

37 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

No, there's a complete range. Jupiter, Mercury, Panther engines.

More Dutch stuff here:

https://www.aviationmegastore.com/cat/netherlands-military-218.html

 

Please excuse my ignorance, but what was the Fokker C.V's role? And thanks also for the link, @alt-92!

 

Thanks,

 

Mark

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The FK-51, yes. 

 

The FK-58 was delivered to the French and used operationally. it didn't make it to ML-KNIL service.

^^ great thread btw

 

 

The C-V (or C 5) was a light reconnaisance plane.

There were some based at the local airfield near where I live (EHHV).

During the German invasion on May 10th, two planes that were not well hidden got shot up there, the rest was flown to another airfield.

 

Edited by alt-92
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

If you're not limiting to 1/72 there's the Mikro-Mir G-1 in 1/48.

 

I meant to say that space and time are a bit limited, so I'll probably be sticking with 1/72, but I would think a 1/48 G.1 would be an impressive beast!

 

Kind regards,

 

Mark

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

You're welcome, Mark

40 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

I realize there were differences between the various operators' versions, but I'm hoping they were only detail (Finnish skis aside, of course!)

The most obvious ones (to me, at least) are the weapons (with its respective wing panels), as well as different widths of the undercarriage fairings across these operators.

But You can avoid most of the trouble just by picking the right box for You. If it's a Dutch bird You're after, I suggest MPM Box No. 72571 ('Dutch Patrol'), as it has some nice resin additions.

 

40 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Shame about the MPM G1, though! It's a rare kit and I was thinking of looking for one despite their price, but perhaps I won't bother.....!

Indeed... That is the one of few short-run kits I chose to sell off... And I quite like making those thing fit!

Quite expensive too (if You manage to find it), especially the "High-tech" box with some resin goodies.

There are also some older (and even rarer) resin kits of the G.I that I was not able to get for a decent price.

Seems we''l have to hope Mikro-Mir scales down their JachtKruiser to 72nd one day  :whistle:

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Colourcoats do a set of colours for Dutch aircraft, beware that these are to my knowledge the only accurate ones as there has been considerable misrepresentation in profiles over the years.  However there is a series of booklets specialising in Dutch and NEI aircraft that will refer you to the proper colours.  I'm thinking here of the D.21 and the DB8:  Oh yes, another model subject is the Douglas DB8, which has been available from Special Hobby.  I think that Pegasus did a D.23 a long time ago, and if they didn't then I'm sure someone else did so. but more recently.

 

The main problem you will face is that book, transfers and models are all short run and sell out fairly rapidly.  NEI subjects are generally more readily available but are not always the right variant.  They include Do.24, Catalina, Buffalo, CW-21, Hurricane, Lodestar, P-40, P-51, Spitfire, Lodestar, Lockheed 12, B-25 and Martin 139  (not sure of the designation but several variants of the B-10 bomber).

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

I think that Pegasus did a D.23 a long time ago, and if they didn't then I'm sure someone else did so. but more recently.

RS Models, 1/72. 

Quote

Martin 139  (not sure of the designation but several variants of the B-10 bomber).

The WH2 and WH3 series, to be released shortly from Azur.

 

Re: paints - I've bought the Hataka Red LVA set recently, not yet tried it. 

 

As far as the books/profile series go, yes they are generally limited supply but do get re-issued every now and then. FlevoDecals is no longer operational, but DutchDecal still releases decal sheets and books. Again, worth to take a look at the aforementioned link from AMS.
 

(I'm still hunting/waiting for a good 1/48 Hurricane IIA/B for the mysterious ML-KNIL ones)

Edited by alt-92
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought that the new B-10 variants from SH/Azure were not covering the Martin 139, which is the WH3 series is it not?  The later one with the deeper belly.

 

RS is always worth looking at for unusual but interesting subjects.  Too many to get them all, sadly.

 

Although the FK 51 was operational, the overall light blue trainers make a more distinctive version.

 

There was also a single aircraft in the NA-16 series, but like so many of these variants it may need cross-kitting.  It was close to an NA-57 as from Azur, so perhaps with some Harvard bits?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, warhawk said:

You're welcome, Mark

The most obvious ones (to me, at least) are the weapons (with its respective wing panels), as well as different widths of the undercarriage fairings across these operators.

But You can avoid most of the trouble just by picking the right box for You. If it's a Dutch bird You're after, I suggest MPM Box No. 72571 ('Dutch Patrol'), as it has some nice resin additions.

 

Indeed... That is the one of few short-run kits I chose to sell off... And I quite like making those thing fit!

Quite expensive too (if You manage to find it), especially the "High-tech" box with some resin goodies.

There are also some older (and even rarer) resin kits of the G.I that I was not able to get for a decent price.

Seems we''l have to hope Mikro-Mir scales down their JachtKruiser to 72nd one day  :whistle:

Hi Aleksandar,

 

thanks again for the additional info - I've been doing some searches of the web, and the Dutch variants are seemingly extinct, although one "Dutch Patrol" example has popped up on eBay for £32.35 + £9.71 postage, but that's quite a bit more than I can run to at the moment! The apparent lack of the Dutch variants is why I mentioned the Danish version, as a few of those still seem to be available. I guess I'll just have to wait and see if one comes up for sale at a lower price.

 

Kind regards,

 

Mark

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Colourcoats do a set of colours for Dutch aircraft, beware that these are to my knowledge the only accurate ones as there has been considerable misrepresentation in profiles over the years.  However there is a series of booklets specialising in Dutch and NEI aircraft that will refer you to the proper colours.  I'm thinking here of the D.21 and the DB8:  Oh yes, another model subject is the Douglas DB8, which has been available from Special Hobby.  I think that Pegasus did a D.23 a long time ago, and if they didn't then I'm sure someone else did so. but more recently.

 

The main problem you will face is that book, transfers and models are all short run and sell out fairly rapidly.  NEI subjects are generally more readily available but are not always the right variant.  They include Do.24, Catalina, Buffalo, CW-21, Hurricane, Lodestar, P-40, P-51, Spitfire, Lodestar, Lockheed 12, B-25 and Martin 139  (not sure of the designation but several variants of the B-10 bomber).

Hi Graham,

 

many thanks for the additional info - oddly I'd run across references to the DB8 while trying to find the MPM D.XXI kit. It looks like MPM also did the DB8, but like the D.XXI it seems to be sold out everywhere!

 

The Aviation Megastore (linked above by @alt-92) have the RS D.XXIII in stock - I'll have a squint at the RS range in due course and the pointers for the camouflage colours are greatly appreciated, too!

 

Thanks again and kind regards,

 

Mark

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

There was a Fokker T.8W from Aviation Usk, but there's little chance of finding that.  

The good news is that the T.VIIIw was by MPM, which considerably improves the buildability score.  But it's still a fairly early (1998) MPM kit so crude by today's standards.

 

Other possibilities are the Douglas DB8A-3 dive bomber, also by MPM, and the Fokker D.XXIII pusher fighter.  This existed in prototype form in a rather fetching camouflage scheme at the time of the German invasion.  The kit is by Pegasus: limited run plastic with metal parts.  Not a bad little kit within its limitations.  I was surprised to find it still on sale somewhere recently: maybe it wasn't a best seller.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Every now and then, a single 1/72 T-8W from MPM makes it to some well-known auction site.

The model represents the early short-fuselage R-1 to R-6 aircraft for the MLD*.

However, being rare as hen's teeth, be prepared to see prices of 70/80€.

 

(which incidentally means not all the included markings can be used but hey-ho it's a T-8W)

Edited by alt-92
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Seahawk said:

I was surprised to find it still on sale somewhere recently: maybe it wasn't a best seller.

And behold, at £5.99:

 

https://www.freightdogmodels.co.uk/military-products/military-aircraft-kits/pegasus-1-72-fokker-d-xxiii.html

 

Think Freightdog picked up the Pegasus range.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...