Messerschmitt Me.262A-1b By my Son

Over the last few weeks my son Christopher (that's him in my avatar) has been getting more interested in modelling after playing a bit of War Thunder and watching some documentaries with me.  He decided he wanted to build another model now he's getting older (still 9 y/o) - He's built two as a wee nipper, a Cromwell tank and an I-16 which he used mostly paint brushes on, although he did dabble with an airbrush at times.  This time he was determined to do a good job, and despite a little bit of impatience here and there, he's achieve that in spades, and made his old dad proud ^_^

This is the Hobby Boss kit that he chose and I bought for him (he's not having any of mine!), and he's built mostly unaided over a number of sessions during lockdown.  It's all airbrushed, and 99% of the work is his.  He couldn't be bothered with the decals when they came around, so I did those for him, and I think I gloss coated the underside, but everything else you see is his work.  Oh, and I had to glue in the landing gear with CA because they were a bit squiffy.

He didn't do much with the cockpit other than paint it grey after it was in the fuselage, and gave the same treatment to the gear bays.  I was his airbrush servant, filling and cleaning it for him, as I didn't want to put him off so early ;) and the colour suggestions were mine.  We had a problem with my RLM76 being empty when I opened it, so we used the next nearest colour from the same brand (Gunze).  So, with great pride I introduce my wickle boy's first proper model ^_^

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

He's particularly proud of the underside, as it looks like it's seen some action on the front, and you may also notice that we'd forgotten to add the pitot probe and a couple of aerials when I took the pics, so we'll add those as long as we can find them :doh: Speaking of finding, we've lost the retraction jack on the nose gear, but it's a sturdy connection so it shouldn't matter, and I've straightened it up since the photos.

The next techniques he needs to master (other than patience) is cockpits, weathering wheel bays, seams, and patience.  Did I mentioned patience yet?  Patience.

How awesome is that for a 9 year old though? :clap2: :worthy:

EDIT: We've got a very happy Christopher here, and he's very touched by all your comments.  We thought we'd put another pic up with the last few bits added for good measure, and he insisted on painting in the wingtip lights, so I suggested a layer of silver with translucent green and red over the top.  He even got to use my W&N Series 7, so is a true modeller now ;)

spacer.png

• Like 59
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Shorty84 said:

Much better than anything I produced when I was 9y

Same here! :lol: I was still brush-painting in my previous incarnation as a modeller.  I did own an airbrush in my teens, but it was one of those Humbrol ones that weren't much use, and it was powered by air cans, which made it too much of a faff to use.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gary Brantley said:

And a fine job it is too! 👍   Give that lad my congratulations on a very nice first model.   And the same goes to a patient dad for nurturing his talent along!  :clap2:

Wholeheartedly agree! Looks like we might have a future master modeler in the making.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the feedback folks - he's very pleased with it, and is enjoying the comments, as am I :) He's also got a P-40 in the spray booth at the moment, and he's managed to get a beautiful gloss on the clear coat.  That one's a bit stalled right now, but I'll post up pictures when it's done.

• Like 1

Both Christopher and you should be rightly proud Mike, thats a lovely build and great to see new blood into the hobby. At that age I thought I was taking it to the next level painting the cockpit, and I hadn't even worked out about getting rid of seams and glue on the canopy, though I was always inspired by what I thought were the amazing builds shown on a blueprint as the box art on some of the 80's Airfix kits, the 1:48 MkVB Spitfire comes to mind :)

I have managed to get my 9 year old son to put an Airfix red arrows gnat together with me and hoping to convince him to do a follow up soon.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, stoohoo said:

I have managed to get my 9 year old son to put an Airfix red arrows gnat together with me and hoping to convince him to do a follow up soon.

Funnily enough, sonny-boy has one of those (1:72) that he started a few years back.  He wants to finish it off this time, but his next project that he wants to go all-out on is an ICM He.111 in 1:48.  Fortunately, I have a spare that he can play with, but I'm still hoping he'll make it to the end :pray:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mike said:

Funnily enough, sonny-boy has one of those (1:72) that he started a few years back.  He wants to finish it off this time, but his next project that he wants to go all-out on is an ICM He.111 in 1:48.  Fortunately, I have a spare that he can play with, but I'm still hoping he'll make it to the end :pray:

That gnat was a good fun little model to do and has stood up to a good amount of playing with :) It was nice to do as the old offering was one of the first models I got when I got into this hobby as a kid (bought it built from a stall on a village fete and thought it was amazing :) )

The Heinkel sounds like a great project, all the more fun when there's big bombs attached - look forward to seeing the result!

• Like 1

That is a great build for anyone, never-mind a first run by a young un...!!!  My 10 year old is doing an Airfix Red Arrows Hawk at the minute.

Big congrats.

Phil

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

Just wish I was that good when I was 9 YO!

Me too :lol: After a few goes with the airbrush he seemed to just get it.  It got to the stage where I just loaded up the paint and showed him what to do, and off he went.  His mum was totally shocked, and when she saw the first pics she thought it was one of mine.

2 minutes ago, Farmerboy said:

Stand aside old man the young ones are a coming to try and knock you off your perch!!

😭

2 hours ago, Mike said:

but his next project that he wants to go all-out on is an ICM He.111 in 1:48.  Fortunately, I have a spare that he can play with, but I'm still hoping he'll make it to the end

Wow, quite a kit for his first modelling steps. But hey, one of the first kits I've ever built was a Dragon Me 262 Nightfighter in 1/48. Not the easiest kit as you may know and it had some strange metal parts which would not bond using my revell glue :hmmm:Still, I slapped it together during one weekend and was quite happy with the result (so much that I bought another one, this time the boxing with the mighty 50mm cannon).

It for sure was more than I could chew at this time but it was so much fun nontheless. Today I would need a few month to build it (with a break of a few years between start and finish :D)

Cheers

Markus

• Like 1