Australian and New Zealand group build chat. A build dedicated to a member “Silver fox” this is for you.

2 hours ago, Threadbear said:

Interested in this one! Got a Mauve P-40N in 1/48th scale in a horrid lurid green plastic. Going with either a 450 sqd, RAAF in Italy or a New Zealand example in the Pacific. Count me in. 

Welcome aboard.. Ive never seen a Mauve kit up close myself. But have been told they're fairly good kits as far as accuracy. Looking forward to seeing this one. 

Glad this has gone through, though won’t be entering the multiple subjects I’d like to, year’s resolution to be less involved in GBs after so many failures this year, limiting myself to one entry per GB unless get the one done in good time, but maybe for this I can stretch that to one for both the Aussies and the Kiwis, especially as the kiwi subject I have in mind should be a simple build, a mustang, unlike the aussie one will be if I can source the f-111a kit to convert.

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 3

I am very glad this one has got through.

The Tiger Moth I mentioned way back on Page 4 has been built now, but I do have a triple option, all in 1/144:

• Airfix - Boeing 737 
  • OzMods - Bombardier Dash-8 Q300;
  • F-Rsin - ATR-72

All in the New Zealand National Carrier schemes.

I am looking forawrd to the start date!

Ray

• Like 2

5 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

Hi Dennis, Would a car designed or driven by an Aussie qualify??

Yes anything designed, built, or used by an Australian or New Zealander including drivers and race teams is good to go. Im allowing foreign equipment operated by the military and civilian airlines so vehicles and ships would be along the same idea. 

• Thanks 1

well due to a sudden change in the Holy Spreadsheet, and this now appears to be my first GB of the new year!!  :yahoo: Sorry hosts!!! :tease:   (Had to bail from the Gulf War one...)

So with the newly freed space I can go a bit larger! :D Originally was going to do the 1/32nd Kitty Hawk OS2U-3 Kingfisher.....but I really couldn't face another Kitty Hawk model sooooooooooooo soon! :suicide:

Then there was an RAAC Leopard I AS, a bit to small and easy........ need to start the new year with a bang now I have time!!

SO.....a 1/48th RAAF F-4E seems to be very much inorder for this GB, and a Zoukie-Mura one as well! :wub: 

I just need to get the MiG-31 out of the way first( I now have the paint, so work will resume shortly).

Am excited! :bounce:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Yes anything designed, built, or used by an Australian or New Zealander including drivers and race teams is good to go. Im allowing foreign equipment operated by the military and civilian airlines so vehicles and ships would be along the same idea. 

Cool. Thanks Dennis. I was thinking about a Brabham but the Kiwi option also opens up McLaren so there’s a lot to choose from. Right, I’m off to have a look at the spreadsheet and work out what I plan on doing next year!! :happy:

• Like 3

Thanks for organising this Dennis.

In case you didnt know, 'Silver Fox' AKA Andy Scott, died in September 2020. He was, amongst other things, the first to sign up in support of this GB, was the leader of NZ Aviation SIG for IPMS UK and managed one of the halls every year at Telford. There was an obituary for him in the October 2020 IPMS UK Newsletter.

Planning to join the GB anyway I will now build a Hasegawa A-4K as a tribute to Andy, this being the picture he used as his avatar here on Britmodeller.

RIP Andy.

Colin

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

4 hours ago, Colin W said:

Thanks for organising this Dennis.

In case you didnt know, 'Silver Fox' AKA Andy Scott, died in September 2020. He was, amongst other things, the first to sign up in support of this GB, was the leader of NZ Aviation SIG for IPMS UK and managed one of the halls every year at Telford. There was an obituary for him in the October 2020 IPMS UK Newsletter.

Planning to join the GB anyway I will now build a Hasegawa A-4K as a tribute to Andy, this being the picture he used as his avatar here on Britmodeller.

RIP Andy.

Colin

I had known but somehow not remembered in the hubbub of the bunfight. I never knew Andy (silverfox) but did occasionally speak to him here and he was nothing but nice to me. Maybe we can dedicate the build to him ? 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I was going to suggest the same.  What does the BM massive think? 

definitely!!!  That's very sad news to hear.

I do remember him from the different GB's he use to join, he was really nice and always helpful.

22 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

I think it is a brilliant idea, the least that can be done for an active member of both Britmodeller and the IPMS.  I think we will need a few Kiwi A-4's in the Skyhawk STGB too.

I just happen to have a very nice set of decals covering all the RNZAF Skyhawks. Plus they started receiving their Skyhawks around the same time we started receiving out Phantoms. I remember going out to Ohakea AB to se them just after they arrived.

Guess I've just talked myself into building an A-4K, guess they would look really nice together in their SEA schemes!  

Ok then, time to go shopping on evilBay! :D

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

Guess I've just talked myself into building an A-4K, guess they would look really nice together in their SEA schemes!

I will build my Monogram A-4E/F that I never got around to starting in the Vietnam GB as one of the ex RAN A-G's that were used by the RNZAF in their original RAN colours.

• Like 2

I've got a couple A-4s in the stash slated for Kiwi builds (1 planned for this GB).  1 in the ex-RAN that Craig mentioned, and another in Euro1.  The SEA looks very nice on the Scooters, but that scheme is reserved for my Singapore bird.

50679622498_70ea34ebe8_c.jpg

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, helios16v said:

I've got a couple A-4s in the stash slated for Kiwi builds (1 planned for this GB).  1 in the ex-RAN that Craig mentioned, and another in Euro1.  The SEA looks very nice on the Scooters, but that scheme is reserved for my Singapore bird.

50679622498_70ea34ebe8_c.jpg

HUH!!!! so that's why I can't find any Hasegawa Scooters on evilBay!!!!  :rant:

Well there are a couple but I'm not paying $100+ USD + postage!

I do see Hobby Boss have a new version out...so may play with that one.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

HUH!!!! so that's why I can't find any Hasegawa Scooters on evilBay!!!!  :rant:

Well there are a couple but I'm not paying $100+ USD + postage!

I do see Hobby Boss have a new version out...so may play with that one.

I'm an opportunistic buyer.  The Eduards (Hase plastic) we picked up at different times on sale (50% off).  The SU & TA were show purchases a couple years ago...I think I paid $20 each for those.  The kicker was the Hase E/F...paid $15 w/ the resin bits from a hobby shop that held a "yard sale".  That one was so cheap because it has been started, so there will be a bit of rework required with that one...but it's not much beyond the cockpit stage.

We need to be able to have shows again so we don't have to rely on evilBay for the second-hand stuff.  So often the second-hand stuff costs as much or more than you can get new from other vendors if you take the time to look.

• Thanks 1

I'm just so surprised how expensive and hard to find most of the Hasegawa ones are now!

There are 12 Hasegawa Skyhawk models that can be used to build an A-4K....and good luck finding one for under $100USD! Strange that Hasegawa hasn't decided to re-release some, they'd sell like hotcakes!

Anyway I now have a Hobby Boss one on the way.......hopefully I won't regret it! :whistle:

• Like 1

Gidday All, this is the only GB I voted for and I'm glad it got through. Unfortunately it's being run at the worst possible time frame for me, later in the year would have been better. I have two other GBs on another forum, one of which (a What-if GB) is running now. It ends on January 31st. The next, a Bismarck Chase GB starts a week later, on February 6th, and runs for two months. And this GB straddles the changeover period. Still, this GB runs for four months, not two and my planned build ( a conversion of a 1/600 Airfix Falklands Leander class frigate to HMAS Swan) shouldn't be too complex. Hopefully I can still do it, maybe in the later months. 

I wish to point out that this is in no way a complaint. With so many members taking part in GBs it must be very difficult to please everybody. I'll manage the best I can, and be grateful to the organizers that have taken the trouble to get the shows on the road (or seaway in my case 😁). 👍 Regards to all, Jeff.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, vstanman said:

Put me in please

Welcome aboard VS

47 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Unfortunately it's being run at the worst possible time frame for me,

My humblest of apologies. I would’ve aimed for later in the year, if my Racers build had gotten through. I just figured Id jump on the proverbial grenade and claim the first slot as its usually the least desirable. What with the minimal time to get it up and running.