Australian and New Zealand group build chat. A build dedicated to a member “Silver fox” this is for you.

So a quick rummage in the stash for suitable victims produced 2 well known Airfix kits which fit the bill.

1/72 Brewster Buffalo RAAF Singapore  &

1/72 Douglas Dauntless RNZAF

To show no bias and as I have the honour of co-hosting this GB with Dennis, I'll build both.

Cheers Pat 

• Like 4

On 02/06/2020 at 07:44, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Dennis

I'll be delighted to co-host, the irony of the Anzac GB being hosted by the USA & Scotland is priceless !

Cheers Pat

Perfectly acceptable Dennis. Scots makeup a lot of the ancestry of New Zealand. Mine do, as you may guess.

Now on a technical issue. My old family friend Reg who was a Kiwi that fort in the war from 1941 few in 37sqn Wellingtons in the desert during 1942.

I was thinking of building my 1/48 Trumpeter Wellington in this group build. Would this comply with the rules here. Now I have my flat I can build a few off my bigger planes.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jb65rams said:

I would like to declare for this please, with ICM’s 1/35 Model T 1917 LCP with ANZAC Crew.

Welcome aboard sir.. I shall add you to the list. 

3 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Perfectly acceptable Dennis. Scots makeup a lot of the ancestry of New Zealand. Mine do, as you may guess.

Now on a technical issue. My old family friend Reg who was a Kiwi that fort in the war from 1941 few in 37sqn Wellingtons in the desert during 1942.

I was thinking of building my 1/48 Trumpeter Wellington in this group build. Would this comply with the rules here. Now I have my flat I can build a few off my bigger planes.

Of course Greg please build it, it doesn't matter the subject or location. Only that it has something to do with Australia or in this case New Zealand. So an Kiwi bomber/bomber group definitely qualifies. 

I'm looking forward to this. I will try to build both the hasegawa 1/72 F-111G and convert my hasegawa 1/200 737-700 into an E-7.

and, whether they work or not, I'm going to use the opportunity to finally build my old Airfix MGB to be the car I (somewhat foolishly) bought when I got my first job after uni ... I'll put ACT plates on it to highlight the Australian connection :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Welcome aboard @bianfuxia with some very good choices. If I had the space and finances Id love to build a Vark. 

That kit was pretty unreasonably priced I have to admit. I decided to get it anyway because I've had a rough year and I'm lucky enough to be able to, but it was well above what I normally spend on models - my ideal is summed up by the "less than a tenner" GB!

• Like 1

I have lived for a period in Australia and have visited the Country many times, sometime staying for 1-2 months, so this is a place that has been part of my life, reason why I should really build something for this GB. Given the connection, it's not surprising that I already have kits and decals for many subjects.

I'm tempted by a modern type, like a Hornet or a Hawk, types I saw flying from Williamtown and for which I have the required Aussie Decals set. For the Hornet I actually have a special Academy box to which  the importer added specific decals for the Australian market only, quite nice.

If they can be considerd under the 25% I have a Sabre and a Spitfire that would deserve being completed. Not that I lack Spitfire options as I've got at least a couple RAAF Mk.VIII planned. Should I decide to build an older kit options include the Sea Venom (that I never saw flying but since I visited Nowra a couple times why not...) and the Canberra (old Airfix of course). And then there's that special project, the Kinetic Mirage III with Caracal decals.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2020 at 2:03 AM, JOCKNEY said:

1/72 Douglas Dauntless RNZAF

Hi Pat,

Any idea which version?

RNZAF flew SBD 3/4/5's,

Only the SBD 5 flew operationally bombing places like Rabaul

The SBD3/4's were training aircraft, and stayed in New Zealand,

though 25 Sqn did fly SBD-4's in the forward areas, on sorties with US forces

but more in a navigation role than dropping ordnance

I've got some kits that typify some of the Article XV Sqdarons

namely 75, 485, that Kiwi's flew aircraft operationally in, that I might enter with

Regards

Alan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Alan,

I'll dig out the kit and let you know. It was part of the Airfix VJ set.

Strange thing is the decals are included but the instructions only show the painting guide and decal placement for the US version. 

Has anyone else got the same kit that shows the NZ version  ?

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1

Actually with so many possible options in my stash, I’m finding it difficult to choose a subject for this GB. Certainly no need to look past the healthy stash although there’s still every chance I’ll do something stupid and buy something new! 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Thanks Alan,

I'll dig out the kit and let you know. It was part of the Airfix VJ set.

Strange thing is the decals are included but the instructions only show the painting guide and decal placement for the US version. 

Has anyone else got the same kit that shows the NZ version  ?

Cheers Pat 

Pretty sure I have Pat, I'll dig it out tomorrow. There don't seem to be any instructions for this kit online afaics but it won't be a bother to scan mine. The VJ set seems to be the same as the one in the individual kit & I think it is the SBD-3 version that did the training back home.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Actually with so many possible options in my stash, I’m finding it difficult to choose a subject for this GB. Certainly no need to look past the healthy stash although there’s still every chance I’ll do something stupid and buy something new! 
Cheers.. Dave 

Dave, 

I have the opposite problem, so many great subjects back home in the stash and yet still highly unlikely I will get back to Australia in the next 3-4 months so I am choosing from the few kits I have here. In this case, beggars can't be choosers.

Ray

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, gingerbob said:

I could make a Vegemite sandwich!
 (apologies if someone else has already said this)

Probably would not be acceptable under the rules in this GB. Seems to be more than 20% complete.

Vegemite

Quietly approaching desperation here as COVID-19 impacts on the essentials for life.

Ray

• Haha 5
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Ray_W said:

Probably would not be acceptable under the rules in this GB. Seems to be more than 20% complete.

Vegemite

Quietly approaching desperation here as COVID-19 impacts on the essentials for life.

Ray

This is shaping up to be a great GB already

Are we going to have an ongoing display of empty tinnies to accompany the Vegemite ?

I could start dusting off the Castlemaine XXXX ads to get me in the mood :wicked:

Cheers Pat

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I've actually had Vegemite, that’s not funny ! 😉

Vegemite... a staple diet for most Australians Dennis. It’s possibly an acquired taste although most Aussie kids receive it as their next ‘solid’ just after Mother’s Milk!  Now a good smear of Vegemite squished in between a layer of Chedder makes for a great Sambo (Aussie slang for Sandwich). 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Vegemite... a staple diet for most Australians Dennis. It’s possibly an acquired taste although most Aussie kids receive it as their next ‘solid’ just after Mother’s Milk!

Of course I know this is a popular product. I was trying to be funny and hope I didnt offend anyone ? If so I apologize, I actually tried it as a teenager in school. We had an exchange student from Australia and it was something she let everyone try. We knew about Vegemite from the reference in the “Men At Work” Song

https://youtu.be/8jHXu86O01w

and were all curious to try it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

We had an exchange student from Australia and it was something she let everyone try. We knew about Vegemite from the reference in the “Men At Work” Song

Struth mate, she sounds like a grouse Sheila! 🥰

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Enzo Matrix said:

As far as I am aware, it is the Australian equivalent to Marmite. 

Oh Dear,

A sad but all too common misconception...

Is champagne the same as soda water?

Is caviar the same as fish-fingers?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3