Australian and New Zealand group build chat. A build dedicated to a member “Silver fox” this is for you.

25 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

much larger and commericalised now as you would know.

Yes, Brisbane (Bris-Vegas) is much larger and has a lot more going for it these days although it still retains it’s a quant charm due to his ‘Queenslander’ style architecture and subtropical climate. Speaking of which, it’s 8:00pm right now, temp is still about 27 degrees and humidity 75%.. some things will never change! 
Cheers.. Dave 

Edit - the Brekky Creek is still going strong and was there for a few work break-ups and family Christmas Eve meal. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alun Gallie said:

Very nice Andwil - which kit is that ? Getting all my reference pics together and will start build thread in next day or two. I am working with a part assembled Italeri 1/72 kit - part assembled is not ideal but think I can make decent display build 

Thanks Alun.  It is the Italeri kit with a few scratched additions.

AW

1 hour ago, Ted said:

Would a model of Mad Max's Pursuit Special be allowed?

I presume we are talking the original movie not the remake from a few years ago. Yes seeing as the car was based on a real Ford vehicle and not just fantasy it would be allowed. Which one the yellow,red, & blue or the all black interceptor ? 

14 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I presume we are talking the original movie not the remake from a few years ago. Yes seeing as the car was based on a real Ford vehicle and not just fantasy it would be allowed. Which one the yellow,red, & blue or the all black interceptor ? 

Hoping to make the weathered interceptor from Road Warrior. 

• Like 3

On 1/24/2021 at 11:32 PM, zebra said:

You'll have to use your imagination to work out what the XXXX stands for as BM's no-swearing policy means I can't tell you!

It's obvious, BEER, as Queenslanders can't read or spell, just AKS one of them! :P

EDIT, a bit late to the party with this, have not been online for a few days :D

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Wot about Herbie?

2 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Didn't you know Dennis, Herbie now resides in Australia :D

imagehandler.ashx?t=sh&id=16504134&s=d&i

I think its a stretch to some degree but the car does exist and is in Sydney from what i can read. However none of the movies take place in Australia/New Zealand to my memory. Were any of the drivers, mechanics, or writers from Australia/New Zealand ? If so then I can see a stronger connection. 

15 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Whats the connection to the two countries ? 

He could always model  a 1/35 Harold Bishop to drive it.

In other news, my Oldsmodel decals have arrived for the Beaufort, all the way from NZ.  Now all I need is the Beaufort...

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

I just this Wellington is RAF 75 (New Zealand) Sqn.  Would that count?

Airfix-Wellington.jpg

If so, I might stay on, after the Strikemaster.

Yes it counts, as long as the crew or a majority of them were from New Zealand then its good to go. 

4 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Yes it counts, as long as the crew or a majority of them were from New Zealand then its good to go. 

I've just read on Wiki (so it must be true) that 75 Squadron was formed around a cadre of NZ fliers, in the UK to take delivery of 30 Wellingtons for the RNZAF. 

Planning to take the aircraft to NZ.  However when hostilities commenced, they were absorbed into the RAF as 75 New Zealand squadron, becoming part of Bomber Command.

James Allen Ward VC was RNZAF from Wanganui.

His pilot Sqn Ldr Reuben Widdowson RAFVR was Canadian.

Sgt A.R.Box RNZAF of Aukland in the rear turret.

Sgt L. A. Lawton RNZAF of Wellington was navigating.

Sgt T. Evans, front gunner,  (RAFVR)

Sgt W. Mason wireless operator  (RAFVR)     so 3 were from New Zealand, 1 from Canada, and two - I can't find out.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

5 hours ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

I've just read on Wiki (so it must be true) that 75 Squadron was formed around a cadre of NZ fliers, in the UK to take delivery of 30 Wellingtons for the RNZAF.

Edit

The Wellingtons were ordered 1938, and Crews flew to Britain for training, it was not until August 1939 that

the Crews/Aircraft were loaned to Britain to assist with the coming war

It was not until Mid 1940 that 75 Squadron was actually raised as a unit.

"Suggested" reading by some one who served and not arm chair know it all's

The Part of 75 Squadron

Essentially 75 (NZ) Squadron was an Article XV Squadron formed with Servicemen from

Dominion Countries (Australia/Canada/New Zealand), but under RAF Control - essentially RAF Squadrons on the

Books

Article XV Squadrons

Interestingly 75 Squadron was not the RNZAF's first bomber Squadron, but 488 (NZ) Squadron raised at Rongotai (Wellington) 1941

in New Zealand, was the RNZAF's first fighter Squadron

I knew a New Zealand WWII Sunderland Pilot who was in 490 (NZ) Squadron (Article XV Sqn) who had

other Dominion crewmen as part of his crew

Many New Zealanders and Australians went to Britain prior to WWII and joined the RAF with

"Short Service" Commissions - while many other joined the RAF at onset of WWII

Notable New Zealanders in the RAF, Sir Keith Park, Cobber Kain, Alan Deere

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yikes! Just realised I had put myself in for this too. I need to finish up some current projects, then will see what’s in the stash. At least I have until May

Also, very sad to hear Silver Fox had passed away. Sadly Graeme H, who was number 3 on the build list joined him last week after passing away unexpectedly 

Graeme was active on this site and very well known around the Far North Queensland modelling scene, as well as around the Telford airliner SIGS 

I first met him when I travelled to Telford way back in 2002, we used to catch up at the various shows around Oz as well . I’ll have to build something in memory to him too 

Bruce 

• Sad 13

10 minutes ago, pacificmustang said:

Sadly Graeme H, who was number 3 on the build list joined him last week after passing away unexpectedly 

How sad ... 

Bruce you have time so no worries. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2

Where have I been? I knew Airfix had a 1/48 Meteor F.8 out, but did not know they had one with the RAAF markings . Just browsing the LHS today and saw this today and had to grab it. 

Meteor A77 Construction 1

Including the markings for Sergeant George Hale's  A77-851 "Halestorm". I could do the cannon staining and scratch in "MIG KILLER" or do it a little later with his MiG 15 symbols nicely provided by Airfix. A must do!

Meteor A77 Construction 2

Hopefully I can squeeze it in to the GB after my Mirage and P-51D.

Ray

• Like 7

On 1/30/2021 at 1:21 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

How sad ... 

Bruce you have time so no worries. 

I just saw this, very sad indeed.

Ray

• Like 1

You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today.
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you.
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun.

Crikey!  I'm in the final stages of my Hellcat but I'd better a move on, this train has already left the station!

I'm not going to do the Camel as originally planned.  Instead, I have an Airfix 1/72 Lancaster which will be my entry.  Another week of playing in the Pacific theatre and then I'll be back in Europe with an Aussie heavy bomber.

• Like 4