Australian and New Zealand group build chat. A build dedicated to a member “Silver fox” this is for you.

I'd had several dealings with Graeme in the many years he's been on the forum, I always found him to be a friendly and helpful contributor in the best traditions of this forum.

Condolences to his family and friends.

RIP Graeme

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I was thinking where can I post this question and thought in the GB chat might be the best start.

I am working on my 1976 RAAF Mirage IIIO(F) A3-40 and trying to determine whether Kinetic or Eduard have got the rear bulkhead detail right and ditto for the Martin Baker Mk. IV ejection seat as fitted to this particular aircraft for this time frame. There seems to be a lot of variation in this area. Sadly I have not got and cannot source a copy of Paul Mason's excellent title on the RAAF Mirage. I have seen the LSP walk around image of the starboard side rear bulkhead of the Amberley Mirage. https://www.largescaleplanes.com/walkaround/wk.php?wid=124 This seems reasonable. Nothing on the port side. Possibly someone can help. 

Ray

2 hours ago, Ray_W said:

I was thinking where can I post this question and thought in the GB chat might be the best start.

I am working on my 1976 RAAF Mirage IIIO(F) A3-40 and trying to determine whether Kinetic or Eduard have got the rear bulkhead detail right and ditto for the Martin Baker Mk. IV ejection seat as fitted to this particular aircraft for this time frame. There seems to be a lot of variation in this area. Sadly I have not got and cannot source a copy of Paul Mason's excellent title on the RAAF Mirage. I have seen the LSP walk around image of the starboard side rear bulkhead of the Amberley Mirage. https://www.largescaleplanes.com/walkaround/wk.php?wid=124 This seems reasonable. Nothing on the port side. Possibly someone can help. 

Ray

Hello Ray does this help ? Went looking and this was in my search results ? 

https://fsb.raafansw.org.au/docPDF/the_raaf_mirage_story_opt_1.pdf

Dennis

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Ray does this help ? Went looking and this was in my search results ? 

Hi Dennis,

Wonderful stuff. Thank you! How did I miss that? 

The site itself is excellent. Very useful for more than just Mirages.

Ray

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ray_W said:

Wonderful stuff. Thank you! How did I miss that? 

Sure Im always happy to help another modeler, Its all in how you word your search. I just took your full description “RAAF Mirage IIIO(F) A3-40” and used it as a Google search. 

Dennis

• Like 1

Hi All,

I've given this a lot of thought, and have made the

decision to withdraw from the GB

Reasons - There are obviously people on here/Forums

who take my "Caring a Damn" about "Historical Accuracy" for

the likes of my Country's Air Force, as " Oh it's you again" type attitude.

If you want to build an RNZAF Aircraft have at it, paint it mark it how you see

fit, just don't make out you know something about my Country's Military (Air Force), when you

don't,and/or  speel off inaccurate information.

That misinformation gets taken and regurgitated again and again until it become lore.

The WWII RNZAF is a Vault of discovery, and I do not in the least pretend to know

everything - In fact I learnt something new just this morning after discussion with

our RNZAF Museum Historian/Expert - but I won't publish it here as as it will be taken with disbelief.

That said, I have put in years of collecting/research and fact finding to know what I know today,

and if you make out you know something and it's not correct, then I will comment for the benefit

of others that they make know the actual truth. If that hurts feelings, well take a note and listen,

don't stand up with pumped up  pretense "I knew that anyway" or I don't believe it - if you can

produce actual factual evidence (and not just because you say so), then fine, if not leave it a lone.

Since it's our Country's National day - Kia Kaha (Stay Strong)

Regards

Alan

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

Hi All,

I've given this a lot of thought, and have made the

decision to withdraw from the GB

Reasons - There are obviously people on here/Forums

who take my "Caring a Damn" about "Historical Accuracy" for

the likes of my Country's Air Force, as " Oh it's you again" type attitude.

If you want to build an RNZAF Aircraft have at it, paint it mark it how you see

fit, just don't make out you know something about my Country's Military (Air Force), when you

don't,and/or  speel off inaccurate information.

That misinformation gets taken and regurgitated again and again until it become lore.

The WWII RNZAF is a Vault of discovery, and I do not in the least pretend to know

everything - In fact I learnt something new just this morning after discussion with

our RNZAF Museum Historian/Expert - but I won't publish it here as as it will be taken with disbelief.

That said, I have put in years of collecting/research and fact finding to know what I know today,

and if you make out you know something and it's not correct, then I will comment for the benefit

of others that they make know the actual truth. If that hurts feelings, well take a note and listen,

don't stand up with pumped up  pretense "I knew that anyway" or I don't believe it - if you can

produce actual factual evidence (and not just because you say so), then fine, if not leave it a lone.

Since it's our Country's National day - Kia Kaha (Stay Strong)

Regards

Alan

Never mind Alan! We`ll still enjoy the GB and pay respect to our dearly departed friend Andy for whom it was set up eh? 

download.jpg

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, tonyot said:

Andy for whom it was set up eh?

The GB is dedicated to the Memory of Andy, but it was

Set up to Recognise Australia and New Zealand and the

Contribution that both countries have played in this World

14 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

The GB is dedicated to the Memory of Andy, but it was

Set up to Recognise Australia and New Zealand and the

Contribution that both countries have played in this World

You still here then?

I've just found another eligable item in my stash - which I'll be starting shortly.

Hasegawa Mosquito, has a camo option for 456 which is an RAAF squadron.  And a Kangaroo roundel on the entry door.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/hasegawa-00050-mosquito-nf-mkii-night-fighter--206923

Hasegawa-Mosquito.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, thinking of adding a second build either here or over in the Africa group build. Anyone know what the colors are on this Meteor 11 ? 

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C14638

I know that A77-3 the earlier N.F.11 crashed prior to this photo though any info on A77-3 would be helpful as well. 

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Anyone know what the colors are on this Meteor 11 ? 

Hi Dennis,

Check this out. https://aeropedia.com.au/content/gloster-meteor-nf-11-and-tt-20/, this site says red and white.

Better image confirming colours here http://www.adf-gallery.com.au/gallery/Meteor-WM373/Meteor_NF_II_WM373_Woomera_Photo_by_Bill_Aiken

And more: http://www.adf-serials.com/Woomera Meteors.htm

Ray

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello everyone, thinking of adding a second build either here or over in the Africa group build. Anyone know what the colors are on this Meteor 11 ? 

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C14638

I know that A77-3 the earlier N.F.11 crashed prior to this photo though any info on A77-3 would be helpful as well. 

Comparing the b/w tones with the roundel, and given that it is a trials aircraft I’d day white and red.

And I see that Ray has beaten me to it and linked a colour photo that pretty much confirms it!

AW

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

Hi Dennis,

Check this out. https://aeropedia.com.au/content/gloster-meteor-nf-11-and-tt-20/ in lieu of better information, this site says red and white.

Ray

3 minutes ago, Andwil said:

Comparing the b/w tones with the roundel, and given that it is a trials aircraft I’d day white and red.

And I see that Ray has beaten me to it and linked a colour photo that pretty much confirms it!

AW

Are those similar to type D roundels ? 

39 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Are those similar to type D roundels ? 

I knew I had this somewhere. I would say yes based on the comments in this article http://adf-gallery.com.au/newsletter/ADF Telegraph 2016 Spring.pdf and I quote:

When the Meteors arrived however, they did have the standard “D”-type roundel, from factory deliveries or diverted from the RAF

• Thanks 1

Hello @Corsairfoxfouruncle and @JOCKNEY - this looks like another epic GB and one I can't miss! I'll give myself a fighting chance and get in fairly earlyish this time rather than trying to clear 'the bench' 100% (I'm still plodding on with the Heller Prinz Eugen and with paint/masking issues, it's going to be a longggggg haul to the finish, but it will get completed).

@theplasticsurgeon is making a great job of the new tool Airfix Wellington so I thought I could inflict another old kit on the Community and do the original Airfix tooling, which is also depicted as an aircraft of 75 (NZ) Squadron, but a B.III.

I was doing some interesting research yesterday (also read the posting from @LDSModeller) about the aircraft depicted, X3667, to try to determine why Airfix picked that particular one, and I believe it had a 5/6 Kiwi crew on its final mission.

OK for this one?

8pOSGfl.jpg?1

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

Hello @Corsairfoxfouruncle and @JOCKNEY - this looks like another epic GB and one I can't miss! I'll give myself a fighting chance and get in fairly earlyish this time rather than trying to clear 'the bench' 100% (I'm still plodding on with the Heller Prinz Eugen and with paint/masking issues, it's going to be a longggggg haul to the finish, but it will get completed).

@theplasticsurgeon is making a great job of the new tool Airfix Wellington so I thought I could inflict another old kit on the Community and do the original Airfix tooling, which is also depicted as an aircraft of 75 (NZ) Squadron, but a B.III.

I was doing some interesting research yesterday (also read the posting from @LDSModeller) about the aircraft depicted, X3667, to try to determine why Airfix picked that particular one, and I believe it had a 5/6 Kiwi crew on its final mission.

OK for this one?

8pOSGfl.jpg?1

Very nice choice with the Wellington I don't see a problem at all. It had almost a full Kiwi crew at one point so definitely qualifies. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

1/48th BN-2 Islander.  Valom kit.

I would like to add this to the GB but would like to check that I haven't gone too far for it to qualify. Started it a long while ago with only the wing halves mated, seats to the floor and engine pods part assembled.  If it is beyond the 25% rule then no worries as I will do it as a WIP instead.

9wtkPJ.jpg

VJKU7z.jpg

Could have saved it for the high wing GB but I have got others that will qualify.

Planning to finish in these decals.

• Like 1