Australian and New Zealand group build chat. A build dedicated to a member “Silver fox” this is for you.

1 hour ago, Cuppa_joe said:

The last piece of the puzzle is here, the fujimi kit came first, with the jays models kit coming this week past. Hope it's the right base kit to do the conversion for my Avon sabre.

IMG_20210124_104650896

Undecided on paint scheme. May go Thailand or malaysia, but really want to have the 'roo roundel on show.

Ooooh Im a bit jealous .. Id love to get my hands on an Avon Sabre conversion. Either do it in a standard line jet or the Black Diamonds markings. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

As I imagine and sincerely hope, there will be a lot of banter, leg pulling etc in this GB, so let's start off with some cultural background info for those of us not lucky enough to live in either of these amazing countries. 

Cheers Pat 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Hi folk's,quick question if anyone knows,my Kiwi Corsair has the Frog kit decals the colour call out is blue gray upper surfaces

and folding section of the lower wing with the rest of the undersides white is this correct?

3 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Hi folk's,quick question if anyone knows,my Kiwi Corsair has the Frog kit decals the colour call out is blue gray upper surfaces

and folding section of the lower wing with the rest of the undersides white is this correct?

Hi Steve

NZ5457 is an F4U-1D, but in looking at the actual Aircraft in link below

it looks more to be overall Glossy Sea Blue albeit faded - Ive done a link

so you get a better photo

I don't where or who Frog got that information from, though they got

the Decal colours correct

NZ5457 - Patricia Mary

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

7 hours ago, zebra said:

You'll have to use your imagination to work out what the XXXX stands for as BM's no-swearing policy means I can't tell you!

Back when I used to drive heaps of young Aussies around Un Zud & Urop, it was always assumed it was called XXXX 'cause Queeenslinders couldn't spell beer. :unsure: :D

Steve.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

9 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Back when I used to drive heaps of young Aussies around Un Zud & Urop, it was always assumed it was called XXXX 'cause Queeenslinders couldn't spell beer. :unsure: :D

Steve.

I was previously told that the 4 x's matched the taste  :poop: ! 

Yours is a much more palatable explanation  :wink:

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Steve.

27 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

I was previously told that the 4 x's matched the taste  :poop: ! 

Yours is a much more palatable explanation  :wink:

Cheers Pat 

Both explanations are highly plausible! 

The ad is almost right though - most Aussies don’t give a XXXX about it - I don’t think I’ve ever seen it on sale outside QLD! Before anyone from up north jumps in though (hello @Rabbit Leader!) I can’t say I’m much of a fan of VB or Carlton Draught either. 

If you want a good Aussie beer in the UK, Coopers Pale is the one to look out for. Available in bottles in a few places. This thread has got me wanting one. But it’s breakfast time so I might have a cup of tea instead.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, zebra said:

Both explanations are highly plausible! 

The ad is almost right though - most Aussies don’t give a XXXX about it - I don’t think I’ve ever seen it on sale outside QLD! Before anyone from up north jumps in though (hello @Rabbit Leader!) I can’t say I’m much of a fan of VB or Carlton Draught either. 

If you want a good Aussie beer in the UK, Coopers Pale is the one to look out for. Available in bottles in a few places. This thread has got me wanting one. But it’s breakfast time so I might have a cup of tea instead.

Might just have to have a go at good ol' Melbourne bitter. Good stuff..for laughs it's actually in my avatar!

• Like 1

Morning all lads, although I’ve slept in a bit as it’s Australia Day Public Holiday day Eve today and as the holiday falls on a Tuesday (26 Jan), there’s only one thing to do on the preceding Monday - not work! 

Now XXXX is our local brew and according the wiki “the XXXX brand was first introduced in 1924 and is a throwback to the long-standing tradition of using Xs to indicate the strength of an ale”. 

When my mates and I first moved out from home and were looking for a suitable flat to rent, part of the criteria was to be able to see the famous large XXXX brewery neon lights from at least one vantage point. As the inner suburbs of Brisbane are quite hilly, it didn’t take us too long to find one so we were happy with that! 

Now it isn’t a bad drop, however it’s not the best that money can buy. Today it’s mainly consumed by the older generation as they grew up on drinking this stuff and was really the only thing available in pubs up to about 1990. 

Now back to modelling, I’m struggling to complete any of my latest GB commitments, however will have to add something to this ‘home’ GB, as It would virtually be a crime not too - no convict jokes hey! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I’m struggling to complete any of my latest GB commitments, however will have to add something to this ‘home’ GB, as It would virtually be a crime not too - no convict jokes hey! 

Cheers.. Dave 

As if people would stoop so low :bandit:

:giggle: 

Good luck with whatever you decide to build for this one Dave

Cheers Pat

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

As you lot (of friends) are going on about XXXX, and @Rabbit Leader says that is a 'strength indicator', it is typical of the Brits that we have to get one (or two) up on our Down Under chums, so we do a 6X (ner ner!)

https://www.wadworth.co.uk/our-beers/core-beers/6x

All the bessht my friends!

Ray

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Ray S said:

As you lot (of friends) are going on about XXXX, and @Rabbit Leader says that is a 'strength indicator', it is typical of the Brits that we have to get one (or two) up on our Down Under chums, so we do a 6X (ner ner!)

But...does it go up to eleven? [I suppose that would be "XI" on the label.]

I'm just saying....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, kiwichappers said:

Count me in please. Not sure what I'll build yet. It's a toss up between a 363 Fighter Squadron P-51, Fairey Rotodyne, Jim Clark Lola or a Z1 wagon. 

Rotodyne or Jim Clark Lola please, actually anything Jim Clark would be the bees knees 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Best of luck with your build / builds

cheers Pat

2 hours ago, kiwichappers said:

Count me in please. Not sure what I'll build yet. It's a toss up between a 363 Fighter Squadron P-51, Fairey Rotodyne, Jim Clark Lola or a Z1 wagon. 

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Rotodyne or Jim Clark Lola please, actually anything Jim Clark would be the bees knees 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Best of luck with your build / builds

cheers Pat

That Lola sounds like it could be a great choice.  Who doesn't love a bit of Jim Clark?

• Like 2

On 21/01/2021 at 16:02, jackroadkill said:

Now showing out of stock....  On my pre-order it was estimated to be available today, so hopefully that means that the stock they had has been cleared, and I'm one of the clearees.

Now showing available for pre-order!  Evidently the due date wasn't actually the due date.

Permission to come onboard ? Kiwi living in Oz - Ex RNZN RP / ASAC - about to start building NZ/Oz helo's and fixed wings I controlled at some point in my service in 1/72 and then the actual ships (scale to be decided) .

Starting with a Wessex 31B

Other already in the cupboard

Seaking Mk50

Bell UH1C

also have a 1/48 Wasp but probably going to wait for new kit or even do 1/72 scout conversion so keep consistent scales/

Others on eventual list

P3c

P3K

A4 Kahu Skyhawk

Seahawk SH60

Macchi

Bell 206B Kiowa

HS748

FA18

AS350 Squirrel

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Alun Gallie said:

Permission to come onboard ? Kiwi living in Oz - Ex RNZN RP / ASAC - about to start building NZ/Oz helo's and fixed wings I controlled at some point in my service in 1/72 and then the actual ships (scale to be decided) .

Starting with a Wessex 31B

Other already in the cupboard

Seaking Mk50

Bell UH1C

also have a 1/48 Wasp but probably going to wait for new kit or even do 1/72 scout conversion so keep consistent scales/

Others on eventual list

P3c

P3K

A4 Kahu Skyhawk

Seahawk SH60

Macchi

Bell 206B Kiowa

HS748

FA18

AS350 Squirrel

Great to see another Adelaidean on here :welcome:.  Wessex is a great choice, makes for an attractive model (shameless self promotion):

50270240057_f851a82ca8_b.jpg

AW

• Like 3

Very nice Andwil - which kit is that ? Getting all my reference pics together and will start build thread in next day or two. I am working with a part assembled Italeri 1/72 kit - part assembled is not ideal but think I can make decent display build 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Alun Gallie said:

I am working with a part assembled Italeri 1/72 kit - part assembled is not ideal but think I can make decent display build 

Would I be able to see a photo of how much is assembled ? Im pretty lenient about stuff however group build rules dont allow for anything over 25% started. You of course may still work on the Wessex but If its over 25% already it wouldn't be allowed an entry into the Gallery. 

My deepest apologies if this is an issue ? 

Dennis

No problems, I didn’t even think that was what the standard build rules 25% might apply to but makes sense. It probably is a little more than that  at present although I am going to disassemble a chunk to rework - all good can just do a standard work in progress post instead, but will send you a pic tomorrow.

Edited by Alun Gallie
  • Like 1

On 1/25/2021 at 10:09 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

Today it’s mainly consumed by the older generation as they grew up on drinking this stuff and was really the only thing available in pubs up to about 1990.

Hi Dave,

I'm really not that old but still remember XXXX off the wood at the Breaky Creek before a decent steak. Wonderful on a balmy Brisbane evening. A regular for me in the mid to late 90's. Last time I was there was 2016 - much larger and commericalised now as you would know.

Ray

• Like 2