Australian and New Zealand group build chat. A build dedicated to a member “Silver fox” this is for you.

59 minutes ago, thorfinn said:

I'm supposing you've already seen these photos in her 'Air Cadets' markings:

http://www.adf-serials.com.au/cessna172.htm

And it looks like someone's done it as a sim or gaming skin:

https://novawing24.com/downloads/n24-default-c172-vhdin/

Any particular info you're looking for?

Hello thorfinn Yes I have all the photo’s listed at ADF. Im trying to find if anyone knows whether the Roundels or any other markings were carried on the wings(upper/lower) or anywhere else. There are just two photo’s in Yellow and one is very grainy. Ive looked at the Novawing stuff but try to rely on real photo’s when possible. It will get built in the yellow markings but I would rather not find out after wards that I’ve missed anything. 

7 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Interesting and quite timely to be building a Tiger AW. Seems like the Army have had enough of these as just the other day we announced that they will be getting replaced by a fleet of 30 or so Apache’s. 

Cheers.. Dave 

I knew there were problems with the Tigers and they were being reviewed but I missed this announcement.  Pity, the Tiger is an attractive helicopter and I don’t think even the Auscam scheme can save the looks of the random assortment of parts that the Apache is.  I saw them flying and on the ground at Cosford in 2018, they are really quite hideous and surprisingly big.

AW

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello thorfinn Yes I have all the photo’s listed at ADF.

No markings help (obviously), but have you seen this little snippet and b/w photo on Googlebooks?

https://books.google.com/books?id=LcakCwAAQBAJ&pg=PA238&lpg=PA238&dq=raaf+air+cadets+"yellow+peril"&source=bl&ots=n2tpvn8M7T&sig=ACfU3U1FkeHwOF3sb3WGbIu1Z-cm_ZvL1w&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiStaX5oaDuAhVv0FkKHcdMAacQ6AEwDnoECAoQAQ#v=onepage&q=raaf air cadets "yellow peril"&f=false

• Thanks 1

Can I ask everyone a favour please, 

I'm trying to encourage a new person to not only join BM but also this GB. As he originally from Australia I was going to post him the Frog Havoc / Boston which thoughtfully has RAAF markings.

IMG_5532

The question is what paint colours (humbrol or revell) do I also need to put in the box with it, as the Frog painting guide gives no clues ?

Cheers Pat

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Can I ask everyone a favour please, 

I'm trying to encourage a new person to not only join BM but also this GB. As he originally from Australia I was going to post him the Frog Havoc / Boston which thoughtfully has RAAF markings.

IMG_5532

The question is what paint colours (humbrol or revell) do I also need to put in the box with it, as the Frog painting guide gives no clues ?

Cheers Pat

Assuming they don't want to go into the weeds re accuracy, underside: Humbrol 90/Revell 59, Brown: Hum29/Revell 87, Green: Humbrol 30/Revell 39 (general comment 30 despite being awful for RAF green is actually ok for RAAF Foliage green) 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello everyone.. Ive thought about this and as  the build still has a week to go before we start. You can of course start early and I think you should if you feel the need to. My theory for 25% is if you take the total number of parts in a build and divide it into quarters you will be ok. With armor you could easily get a large number just in the tracks and running gear. And with aircraft we could figure it out with simple math. 

Dennis

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

You're only talking acrylics are you Pat, I wouldn't want your kind gesture falling foul of postal regs by sending enamels?

Steve.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction for a simple side drawing of the E-7 Wedgetail so I can scratch build the radar set up on mine? Ideally it'd be in 1/200 but any accurate drawing is ok - I can measure it out easily enough.

I've googled around a bit with not much luck.

4 minutes ago, bianfuxia said:

Can anyone steer me in the right direction for a simple side drawing of the E-7 Wedgetail so I can scratch build the radar set up on mine? Ideally it'd be in 1/200 but any accurate drawing is ok - I can measure it out easily enough.

I've googled around a bit with not much luck.

Hope these help ? Scroll down to specifications section in the first link. You should be able to print that drawing out. 

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Boeing_737_AEW%26C

and also these side views. 

https://www.southernskymodels.com.au/Boeing737-ESWedgetailAEWCRAAFDecalConversion-3741.html

Dennis

• Like 1

Hmmm not a lot really in the stash for this!

Another Mirage? Or a MB-326 ... or 339... hmmm decals for the MB-339 are an issue though.

EDIT:

after some research I endend up with ordering decals for the MB-339 from oldmodels  decals in NZ :)

https://www.oldmodelsdecals.com/RNZAF-85--not-current.html

no idea if they have a chance to turn up before this GB ends though......

lets see!

• Like 1

On 1/17/2021 at 10:23 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ive thought about this and as  the build still has a week to go before we start. You can of course start early and I think you should if you feel the need to.

Oh my...That is tempting.  I will wait patiently however.   This is what i hope to accomplish for this GB...

50858973662_be2edc565a_c_d.jpg

That's enough.

On 1/17/2021 at 6:05 PM, JOCKNEY said:

I'm trying to encourage a new person to not only join BM but also this GB.

Excellent.  Well done Pat!  I hope it works out.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, John Masters said:

Oh my...That is tempting.  I will wait patiently however.   This is what i hope to accomplish for this GB...

50858973662_be2edc565a_c_d.jpg

That's enough.

Excellent.  Well done Pat!  I hope it works out.

Nice looking group there John. Wouldn't mind having 3 of them in my stash. Ive built a number of the Eduard Spitfires, however the Boomerang, Cub, and Strikemaster are all kits I eagerly hope to build someday. 

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Nice looking group there John.

Thanks Dennis.  I might add the MPM Meteor Mk. 8, RAAF over Korea, to the mix.  I can look for another

Mk. 8 for my 19 Squadron endeavour.  

• Like 1

On 02/01/2021 at 16:55, jackroadkill said:

If only Airfix would hurry themselves along a bit and get their 1/72 Beafort done; I'd love to do one of those in a RNZAF scheme.

It's now showing as in stock on Airfix's shiny new website!

If only I could log in and check on the status of my order, grrrr!

3 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

It's now showing as in stock on Airfix's shiny new website!

If only I could log in and check on the status of my order, grrrr!

Now showing out of stock....  On my pre-order it was estimated to be available today, so hopefully that means that the stock they had has been cleared, and I'm one of the clearees.

Hi All,

Well here in the Antipodes, it's 0900 Hours January 23 (Auckland, New Zealand Time daylight saving time)

and (at least) Eastern Australia/South Australia it's 0700 and 0630 hours respectively :waiting:

Which means what exactly you might ask? :) We get to kick off with the Group Build :thumbsup:

For those who have never ventured into both our Fair Lands

Scenic view of New Zealand (please ignore Touristy audio)

New Zealand

Scenic view of Australia

Australia

Having lived a good part of my life in both  countries, I have a great love for both.

Look forward to all the builds  current and future

Regards

Alan

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, LDSModeller said:

Hi All,

Well here in the Antipodes, it's 0900 Hours January 23 (Auckland, New Zealand Time daylight saving time)

and (at least) Eastern Australia/South Australia it's 0700 and 0630 hours respectively :waiting:

Which means what exactly you might ask? :) We get to kick off with the Group Build :thumbsup:

For those who have never ventured into both our Fair Lands

Scenic view of New Zealand (please ignore Touristy audio)

New Zealand

Scenic view of Australia

Australia

Having lived a good part of my life in both  countries, I have a great love for both.

Look forward to all the builds  current and future

Regards

Alan

I was down your way February 2019. Had planned and paid for a return trip due to loving the month long visit . But alas due to this Covid thing those plans were scuppered.  I soooo long to return again .... maybe one day.... and a longer visit to Oz as I was only there for four days!

So, look out for my entrants for this GB . Its a no brainer for me .

• Like 4

The last piece of the puzzle is here, the fujimi kit came first, with the jays models kit coming this week past. Hope it's the right base kit to do the conversion for my Avon sabre.

IMG_20210124_104650896

Undecided on paint scheme. May go Thailand or malaysia, but really want to have the 'roo roundel on show.

• Like 3