Australian and New Zealand group build chat. A build dedicated to a member “Silver fox” this is for you.

While the Hornet will be my primary build for the group build, look what arrived at my front door yesterday:

50815848752_75a4f17073_b.jpg

so I will add this to the build.

AW

• Like 4

I'm counting down the hours now for my new shed that is arriving Monday the 11th. It will be, hopefully, set up in time for me to start cutting plastic again and get on with the 787 and possibly something else for the Ozzie half of the GB.

• Like 2

On 6/1/2020 at 2:15 PM, trickyrich said:

yup!!! the perfect name for that particular model.....a PIG!!!

There is an awful lot wrong with that model, way too much to go into. Basically it's not a "C" model but a hodgepodge of bits from other versions trying to be a "C"  model. They mention you can build a "G" model, but like the "C" version you actually can't!  Whoever did the design work for this model has never actually seen one or even bothered to even look at pictures of one....the mistakes are that bad! Sorry to have to tell you this.  Oh and the decals are rubbish as well!

I built one and converted it to the RF-111C Recon version (custom made those bits), I spent a fortune on AM bits trying to sort/correct it. It would have been easier to scratch build one!

The Academy version is probably the lesser of the two 1/48th evils!

I pray and hope one day someone will finally release a proper model of a F-111.

I was considering joining in with a 1/48 Academy F-111C, but after reading the above, I don't think I'll bother . . .

• Like 1

Greetings (and New Year best wishes) to Dennis, Pat, and all fellow ANZAC enthusiasts!

My participation in this wonderful GB may have had rather a large spanner thrown at it -- a possible looming unanticipated house move -- but until that event is certain, I mean to soldier on as best I can, albeit with something a bit simpler than I had originally planned.

While casting about the Interweb for potential Anzac projects some months back, I came across this unlikely gem -- a commemorative 'Aircraft' postage stamp block issued in 1989 by flyspeck Pitcairn Island...of 'Bounty' mutineers fame...the intriguing irony being that I understand it possesses no airstrip, being barely large enough to land a small helicopter only if absolutely necessary.

spacer.png

This, of course, being the lovely bit of artwork that caught my eye: a/c number unknown, but clearly from No. 5 Squadron RNZAF, a unit whose proud heritage stretches back to operating Vickers Vincents, Short Sunderlands and Consolidated Catalinas during WW2.

spacer.png

The unit re-equipped with P-3 Orions beginning in 1965, and has been in near-continuous service since...with successive equipment upgrades...in a variety of anti-submarine, general martitime security and search-and-rescue roles -- including several international deployments. And...when duty calls...they'll even deliver the mail!

spacer.png

Since Atlantis Models recently re-released Revell's old box-scale (1/115) P-3A, I thought that might be the ideal plaything to work from. I built one way back in the '80s and seem to recall pretty decent overall lines and shape, despite its simplicity; it will be interesting to see Atlantis's take on it. The kit does have the early-model under-the-fuselage 'bulge,' which will have to be removed, and bits like transparencies (or where they should be) will have to be sorted. And of course...since it's off-scale...I may end up having to make some or all of my own decals for the project; but that, fortunately, is a 'neighborhood' I'm quite familiar with.

Looking forward to the official start. The kit's on its way, so I'll post the obligatory 'unstarted' shots when she arrives!

Cheers all

• Like 5

6 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

I will join in, if I may, with either a Beaufighter, P-40 or a Spitfire. I have appropriate markings for all 3 but will decide, shortly.

You know what's coming next, don't you?  :wicked: 

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

I will join in, if I may, with either a Beaufighter, P-40 or a Spitfire. I have appropriate markings for all 3 but will decide, shortly.

Cheers Greg 👍

Welcome aboard.

2 hours ago, Fifer54 said:

I was considering joining in with a 1/48 Academy F-111C, but after reading the above, I don't think I'll bother . . .

Well you are always welcome to join in if you find something satisfactory to build.

@thorfinn nice choice. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, thorfinn said:

I understand it possesses no airstrip, being barely large enough to land a small helicopter only if absolutely necessary.

Pitcairn Island does have a type of wharf, but it can only take barges that unload there from the larger ships at anchor further out

to sea

No. 5 Squadron RNZAF, a unit whose proud heritage stretches back to operating Vickers Vincents, Short Sunderlands and Consolidated Catalinas during WW2.

RNZAF 5 Squadron did Operate Vincent's at out break of war (1939), then moved to Lauthala Bay Fiji, with Short Singapore III's, which were

replaced by Catalina's (PBY 5/PB2B)

The Sunderland's didn't arrive till early 1950's (mid 1953), based at Lauthala Bay (Fiji), and Hobsonville, Auckland - SOC 1967

The P3B's didn't arrive till around Oct 1966, - My Dad served with 5 Squadron both on Sunderland's and P3B Orion's.

He was amongst the RNZAF Personnel who trained on the Orion's at NAS Moffat Field, and brought the the Orion's home to New Zealand 1966

My favourite Photo - both my dad's favourite planes the new and old

fbb6eb35-b4ae-4127-a728-e6aa56999bc4.jpg

FYI if building an RNZAF P3 (B/K) with outboard Search Light, it was located 2nd hard point in from wing tip -the transparency tended to shatter

from the wing vibration on the outboard Hard point

This, of course, being the lovely bit of artwork that caught my eye: a/c number unknown,

I'm quite sure that Painting on the stamp is by the Official RNZAF Artist Maurice Conley.

As to which RNZAF P3 that is, is still a mystery - Sorry, I have looked through all my RNZAF Books

including this one (hoping there might be a mention)

de2eaf47-5a4a-482a-ab33-e318e79b7ee9.jpg

As to markings you could try (depending on whether a P3B or P3K) Old Model Decals

they do 1/144 and 1/200 scale

Old Model Decals

Bear in mind that if doing a P3B between 1966 and Nov/Dec 1970, the Orions

will have worn the Silver Fern Roundel, not the Kiwi

If you want to do your own decals the Roundels are HiVis 54" (Wing/Fuselage)

LowVis 36" (Wing/Fuselage)

Regards

Alan

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Many, many thanks, Alan, for they very useful information, the photos and the Old Models link! I greatly appreciate your input. Most kind of you to chip in, particularly with a personal connection.

38 minutes ago, LDSModeller said:

I'm quite sure that Painting on the stamp is by the Official RNZAF Artist Maurice Conley.

Just as an FYI, a philatelic site credits the artwork for that particular issue to Tony Theobald.

Cheers

12 hours ago, Fifer54 said:

You should go with the Academy version, it is buildable and probably a lot more accurate than the HB beast. From what I can gather it is a bit simpler build wise, the updated one (with the Grey scheme on the box) looks to be the better of them. I'd still be a bit careful with the cockpit. I do know there are some really lovely (and expensive) AM bits for her. Again the model looks to be based on an F-111A/FB-111A hybrid, so you'd need to be careful with the bits used. I know in the initial release it did come with the weapons bay gun fairing

The main problems with the HB one is I don't think they ever looked at F-111C properly, it was more than just a cross between F-111A & FB-111A, they just looked at some photos and made it! As there are some glaring issues!

- the nose/canopy lines are all wrong, major work to correct

- the intake "splitter" plates are wrong

- the exhaust cans are completely wrong

- there are issues with the wing flaps

- the cockpit is not an F-111C... its a mish mash of versions

- the F-111C didn't have "slime lights" (formation lights)

- you can't build an early F-111C (the non-avionics/non-Pave Tack version as they don't supply 20mm Rotary cannon that was fitted in the weapons bay to all our F-111C's initially).

- decals are completely wrong 

There are probably some other things I forgot as well....panels lines etc...., it's not unbuildable but it will take quite a bit of effort.......I'm still hoping & praying that someone will release a new version of this aircraft with the Recon option (I scratch built mine)! :pray:

IMG_0367-M.jpg

IMG_0372-L.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, thorfinn said:

Just as an FYI, a philatelic site credits the artwork for that particular issue to Tony Theobald.

Thanks for that, the two artists are very similar.

This is a book cover by Maurice Conly ( I have in my collection), it has an RNZAF Orion painting

some what similar to the Stamp in the book

Portrait of an Air Force Book Cover

Regards

Alan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi, I wonder if I could join this gb, please?  I have grand ideas of doing a TSS Aussie TF.X, a Spit Vc and a RNZAF maritime scheme Kittyhawk.  More likely, would only be 1 or 2 of these.

Rgds

Martin

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mike romeo said:

Hi, I wonder if I could join this gb, please?  I have grand ideas of doing a TSS Aussie TF.X, a Spit Vc and a RNZAF maritime scheme Kittyhawk.  More likely, would only be 1 or 2 of these.

Rgds

Martin

Of course you can, just go ahead and start a thread and you're good to go. You can do some work before the official starting gun goes off. Just nothing more than 25% on any of them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Of course you can, just go ahead and start a thread and you're good to go. You can do some work before the official starting gun goes off. Just nothing more than 25% on any of them. 

Thanks!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ray_W said:

I just had to put this up - great inspiration if you're building Aussie Hornets and great Australian scenery. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_sB_5_0gTk

Ray

If you want to you can add this to the reference thread. 

6 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

If you want to you can add this to the reference thread. 

Good suggestion. Will do.

On 1/13/2021 at 8:04 AM, Ray_W said:

I just had to put this up - great inspiration if you're building Aussie Hornets and great Australian scenery. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_sB_5_0gTk

Ray

I just love these Hornet Ball videos... what a Day Job! 

I do like the No. 75 Sqn pilots checkerboard scarf, that was a nice nod to the squadrons history I thought. 

Cheers and thanks Ray.. Dave 

• Like 1

On 1/9/2021 at 11:37 AM, Andwil said:

While the Hornet will be my primary build for the group build, look what arrived at my front door yesterday:

50815848752_75a4f17073_b.jpg

so I will add this to the build.

AW

Interesting and quite timely to be building a Tiger AW. Seems like the Army have had enough of these as just the other day we announced that they will be getting replaced by a fleet of 30 or so Apache’s. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

Ive also asked up in aviation, but anyone have any more info on VH-DIN Cessna 172D ? 

Im considering this for either the Unarmed or High Wing group builds later this year ? I already have the new Minicraft 1/48 172 and can scrounge up decals. However I’m looking for more info on the plane in its overall yellow guise. 

42 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ive also asked up in aviation, but anyone have any more info on VH-DIN Cessna 172D ? 

Im considering this for either the Unarmed or High Wing group builds later this year ? I already have the new Minicraft 1/48 172 and can scrounge up decals. However I’m looking for more info on the plane in its overall yellow guise. 

I'm supposing you've already seen these photos in her 'Air Cadets' markings:

http://www.adf-serials.com.au/cessna172.htm

And it looks like someone's done it as a sim or gaming skin:

https://novawing24.com/downloads/n24-default-c172-vhdin/

Any particular info you're looking for?