Australian and New Zealand group build chat. A build dedicated to a member “Silver fox” this is for you.

4 hours ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

I've just realised that this kit has a NZ option.

Nice Choice, I remember the Strikemaster fondly, especially as a young cadet

getting up close and personal with them at Wigram.

I couldn't find (yet) a colour photo, but the rear Strikemaster in the

photo below is NZ6365 as shown on your model box top

AC253S.t5fd9519b.m600.xEgl2vHJI.jpg

(RNZAF Official - RNZAF Museum - Used with Permissions)

Look forward to your build :thumbsup:

Regards

Alan

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

The Italeri RAAF markings for the Hawk are fictitious, based on the BAe prototype, as I recall the roundels and tail number are black on the decal sheet which does not match even their colour scheme in the picture on the box.

Confirming that observation - now that I've actually looked in the box.  

Which makes an appearance by the Strikemaster more likely.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

The Italeri RAAF markings for the Hawk are fictitious, based on the BAe prototype, as I recall the roundels and tail number are black on the decal sheet which does not match even their colour scheme in the picture on the box.

Also, just a general caution,  the kangaroo on Italeri Australian roundels can sometimes appear decidedly malnourished and need to be replaced with aftermarket ones. And a reminder that the kangaroo (and I presume kiwi on NZ kits) always faces forward. 

• Like 4

I have the Wellsprop 3D resin kit to make one of these.  NZPAF had two initially and then a third former FAA machine to replace one that crashed during a low level speed test.  The photo is from the RNZAF Museum archives and shows the third, replacement, machine

spacer.png

• Like 5

Flying the flag for the "floaties", I will take part and my build will be the Heller 1/400 Colossus/Arromanches aircraft carrier converted to represent HMAS Sydney. Although I do have some reference material and books, I am quite unprepared research-wise so there is the possiblility that I might not finish it in time. We will just have to see how I get along!

Dave

• Like 6

On 02/01/2021 at 16:55, jackroadkill said:

If only Airfix would hurry themselves along a bit and get their 1/72 Beafort done; I'd love to do one of those in a RNZAF scheme.

On 02/01/2021 at 17:13, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Tell me about it, though Im angling for either a Malta or SAAF with mine. Even ordered the correct decals for both options. 

I've just pre-ordered the Airfix Beaufort; according to their pre-order basket thingy page it's due for release on the 21st of this month.  Am I too late to sign up?

• Like 1

• Corsairfoxfouruncle changed the title to Australian and New Zealand group build chat. A build dedicated to a member “Silver fox” this is for you.
1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

These are a pretty good. 

https://www.oldmodelsdecals.com/RNZAF-70-85.html

I just ordered a set of A-4 decals from them. 

Yannow, you really shouldn't show me stuff like this...  :lol: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

Thanks Dennis - ordered some from them.

8 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Yannow, you really shouldn't show me stuff like this...  :lol: 

I have a sneaking suspicion that this guys business is going to become quite busy for the next few months. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that this guys business is going to become quite busy for the next few months. 

I hope so!   How good will the Vampire decals look on the forthcoming Airfix kit? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

A nice idea to dedicate this to Andy, Dennis. I need to get my thinking cap on & work out what to build, too many options leading to confusion just now. :(

Steve.

Put them all in a pile close your eyes and pick one ? Seems the easiest way, that or ask SWMBO, thats usually what I do when I get stuck on a build or scheme. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1