Not sure if this is the right place, if not move it or I can move it. Perhaps it's been asked already, if so send me there. I've been looking around here trying to figure out how to make turbine engines look like they're running with the fan blur. Namely for large turbofan engines as in airliners or Vikings, A-10s etc.

9 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

What scale / size of fan are you talking?

Primarily 1/144, but as an example 1/144 747, the engines aren't to far off in size for a 1/72 S-3.

7 hours ago, mackem01 said:

Off the top of my head. Can you not enlarge a picture to the relevant size, then mount onto a plastic disc, then stick the centre cone onto that? 

I was kind off thinking that would be the way to go, you would need a perfect circular blur because of the speed of the turbine as compared to a prop.

7 hours ago, 72linerlover said:

Hi, there.

Do you mean something like that?

jet_fan_spin.pngfan_spin.jpgjet_fan_spin.jpg

The images are mine and royalty free.

Bye

Eugenio

Yes, something like these, just a bit lighter. I guess shadows would be a natural thing for how the model is displayed.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Primarily 1/144, but as an example 1/144 747, the engines aren't to far off in size for a 1/72 S-3.

Depending on appetite for adventure in the pursuit of realism, this would definitely be doable with these teeny weeny yet affordable motors:

a8a1ccc6-e3ca-4ce5-9e38-fa0b59c32413.png

I used just such a thing for a helicopter tail rotor and whilst you have to solder wires and find a home for a battery, it looks much better than anything that could be achieved with a solid disc (I think so anyway) :)

15 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Depending on appetite for adventure in the pursuit of realism, this would definitely be doable with these teeny weeny yet affordable motors:

a8a1ccc6-e3ca-4ce5-9e38-fa0b59c32413.png

I used just such a thing for a helicopter tail rotor and whilst you have to solder wires and find a home for a battery, it looks much better than anything that could be achieved with a solid disc (I think so anyway) :)

I want to do at least one airliner with running engines and lights, maybe sound, just don't know how to do the sound part. How do you remove the counterweight from the shaft? Did you step up tubing from the motor to the rotor shaft? I have photo etch sets for some of my airliner engines which would benefit from this to.

It was a wee bit ago now but the weight just popped off with careful leverage.

I found Blutac was a fairly good transmission method, believe it or not!

There's a cottage industry in Belgium called Magic Models (or something like that) which makes sound modules which could be worth a look.

Best of luck :D

21 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Not sure if this is the right place, if not move it or I can move it. Perhaps it's been asked already, if so send me there. I've been looking around here trying to figure out how to make turbine engines look like they're running with the fan blur. Namely for large turbofan engines as in airliners or Vikings, A-10s etc.

If you have Photoshop, there is a blur tool that allows you to create "radial blurs" to any photo. First, you need a good, clear photo of the fan/compressor face, taken from directly in front, such as this GE90 fan image, which I found at a free clip art site:

GE90 Fan

Then, you apply a circular marquee around the portion of the image you wish to blur and centered in this case on that specular highlight (the white dot) at the very tip of the fan fairing. Then you apply the Radial Blur tool. You can adjust the "degree" of blur in the radial blur tool window. This is blur 10; I clipped the casing from the image leaving only the fan::

GE90 Fan Radial Blur 10

This is blur 15; in this instance, I kept the fan casing but blurred only the fan:

GE90 Fan Radial Blur 15

These are 300 dpi images. The resolution could probably be lowered to as much as 150 dpi without making them look any less effective when reduced in size. These images are also free to use. Downsize 'em, print as many as you need, stick a spinner on 'em, and you're done. You'll have to provide your own sound effects, whether recordings or self-made whooshing noises.

Edited by Space Ranger
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

There's an idea. I don't use photoshop but do have coreldraw which is the competitor. I have seen radial blur but didn't know what it was for. For an engine that's about 1/2"-3/4"ish round this could work. I just tried it using radial blur and it's cool. Just wonder what would look best for that, print it on paper or regular decal paper. I don't think it can be glossy.

Edited by busnproplinerfan
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...