easyjet Airbus A319 1/144

12 hours ago, coneheadff said:

Great looking engines!!!!

That silhouette portrait plotter seems to be a great tool...but it's worthless if one can't design the masks. Great job!!

making masks is really not that hard! first drafts are usually not perfect, it does not require skill, only time. for example the cockpit window masks took me like 6-7 tries, than it fit perfectly.

6 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Thought so, I was looking into getting something like that. I already use Coreldraw which does the same as Ilustrator. I should look for one. Is there a different material for the mask you used or is it the large Tamiya sheet?

hm...tamiya sheet is the best, allthough it requires quite some adjustment, e.g. blade depth, pressure, speed, etc.

then you can use oramask, which is not that good for most of the masks, cause it is flexible vynil stuff. i think there is also some oramask blue sheet that is similar to tamiya. some people say tamiya is not good for a plotter cause it has fiber glass, thus the blade doesnt last long - which i can NOT confirm. Even if, blades are ridiculously cheap.

6 hours ago, Challenger350Pilot said:

Engines looking beautiful, Sini. Nice going. Really really like the wing detail too. 

thx paul...i think the wings will come alive once the washing is done and the corogard lines are placed...

6 hours ago, Biggu said:

I am speechless, this is a FANTASTIC build and 1/144 too..... I have to keep reminding myself of that part...... incredible

thank you so much for your kind words...keeps me motivated in these hard times for aviation. stay tuned for updates :)

• Like 1

today i did something new - never tried it before.

So, people knowing me, will see what windows are about haha...i love clear windows. So silverframes were placed today.

Problem: Revells silverframes match the kits windows, but they are oversized. they are stretching to much in height, looks more like horsetrack than a speedway track. Since i already put on masks with the correct size, the revell decal would not fit.

Solution: i cut the whole window line in half and layed both sides on each other and adjusted the length of them this way. Also i had to cut some of the stripes, because it ran out of synch at some point, but no problem here...just cut them into groups of 5,6,7 or whatever required and tadaaaa.... here you go.

it looks a tiny bit untidy, which is in the nature of decals, but will be sorted once clear coted and sanded/polished. i think the window blinds look quite nice...

IMG_0459 IMG_0461 IMG_0460

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Wow Sini, you are going the extra mile ( or km? :D ) with  this one, I did not know the Revell windows frames were to big, I will have to pay attention when I build the 3-4 Revell kits I have in the stash

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Wow Sini, you are going the extra mile ( or km? :D ) with  this one, I did not know the Revell windows frames were to big, I will have to pay attention when I build the 3-4 Revell kits I have in the stash

haha...thanks :) but i think there is still some room...i noticed a lot of things when i compared parts with reference photos, and i m sure if i had time i could go a step further 😕

the easiest is to compare it to a zvezda A321 (NOT 320, also wrong windows). The 321 has the correct shape.

anyway...decaling is almost finished. Only top wing is missing, will finish it tonight. next step is gloss coating.

IMG_0474 IMG_0475

• Like 9

Hi Sini,

Really enjoying watching your progress on this, looking forward to the finished model, nearly there!

I'm interested in your coroguard pattern, I've never seen two tones of grey coroguard on any of the A320 family. Is this a new thing?

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

Just caught this window bit. Are the Revell windows wrong? I have the Revell and haven't looked closely at it yet. Are they fairly close or should I reverse the paint scheme and paint the plane black? That would be different.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Challenger350Pilot said:

Yeah....what he said! Love this. 

thx Paul, looking forward to see new stuff from you!!

3 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Sini,

Really enjoying watching your progress on this, looking forward to the finished model, nearly there!

I'm interested in your coroguard pattern, I've never seen two tones of grey coroguard on any of the A320 family. Is this a new thing?

Cheers,

Ian

Thanks Ian. I think the greatest step forward comes with buffing. Details are there and so on but once the thing is shiny and waethered, i can see if it is ok or if i have to adjust some techniques. A lot new ways i have gone on this one...

regarding the corogard pattern... i hate corogards. Making a model means to me studying thousands of photos, and corogards pictures are the least available!  Now lovely easyjet thought: hey, lets order planes with as many patterns as possible. I counted 4, probably there are more. So this is really something to study...i found out that EZAM had the newer style dual color pattern in 2016, while older pictures show it has this 3 colors, whysoever!

34931_1496761596.jpg

but actually when i think about it, no one knows which pattern was applied in 2014, i just guessed they kept this one until 2014, cause lot of planes in the fleet had it back then and i dont know when it got a new paintjob.

3 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Just caught this window bit. Are the Revell windows wrong? I have the Revell and haven't looked closely at it yet. Are they fairly close or should I reverse the paint scheme and paint the plane black? That would be different.

Yes, they are not correct in height. I think those are quite off, but you have to see if you can live with that! i simply couldnt, cause in my opinion the cabin window shape is something quite typical for an A319.

I would suggest to compare it to a zvezda A321 then you see the difference to a correct window.

• Like 1

sooooooo...

basic decaling, clearcoating, sanding and polishing is finished. Only wingbox seals/wing seals are missing, because i wanted them matt (rubber on the aircraft). i decided to to that after polishing.

i gave it a gloss coat eith MRP, a light to medium coat. Once that was done i sanded it with a tamiya 3000 sponge. then another application of gloss coat, but thinned with MRP thinner about 40-50%. looked very good already, but i wanted to get it more even and really shiny.

So again 3000 sponge, following micro mesh 3600, 4000, 6000, 8000 and 12000. took me the whole day...but i am more than happy with the results. no need for any polishing compound, its just perfect.

next step engines, rubber seal, leading edges, gear and antennas at last.

IMG_3434 IMG_0163 IMG_8925 IMG_4680 IMG_9352

• Like 10

1 hour ago, coneheadff said:

Sieht super aus!!!

Looking great...now you have to add that ugly Vaseline smear at the aft RA antennas 😜 

dont worry, weathernig will follow at the end :)

• Like 1

Just now, Derek B said:

Superb work Sini :thumbsup: (I am pretty certain that I flew on this particular aircraft last year out of Manchester).

Derek

thanks derek!! :) hmm...afaik that aircraft has been phased out 2017 and went to volotea... :D

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RCI said:

thanks derek!! :) hmm...afaik that aircraft has been phased out 2017 and went to volotea... :D

Hmm, perhaps I got the year wrong? (I have flown on quite a few Easy Jet aircraft over that past few years!). Regardless, awesome build and I particularly like your attention to windows - something that I really need to pick up my game on when I next get around to building an airliner model (and it will almost certainly be an Olympic Airlines subject for sure).

Cheers

Derek

Edited by Derek Bradshaw
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Derek B said:

Hmm, perhaps I got the year wrong? (I have flown on quite a few Easy Jet aircraft over that past few years!). regardless, awesome build and I particularly like your attention to windows - something that I really need to pick up my game on when i next get around to building an airliner model (and it will almost certainly be an Olympic airlines subject for sure).

Cheers

Derek

haha awesome, its always encouraging when you see poeple that actually flew on a model that you build, which is only possible with airliners.

thanks for your words, i m looking forward to see a finished model from you then :)  olympic airlines is an evergreen, doesnt matter what aircraft, it simply always looks stunning!

• Like 1

i finally started the apu exhaust.

took some sprue with the correct diameter, drilled a hole and sanded it thin with my dremel. worked out, but fitting it into the tail isnt easy, i dont have a drillbit of the correct size, so i had to use other stuff. anyway, fits in but needs some sealer/filler.

IMG_1316 IMG_6350 IMG_0536

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

soooo....finally a few updates.

i initially did not want to polish that thing, but then could not resist. also i can not recommend tamiya compounds, maybe there are too old, but its more some oily paste, its polishing effect is near zero. i ended up with the good 'ol Mcguires car polish. that stuff is just awesome.

then i went on and took some care of the wheels. now thats a science, airbus created. i think there are 3 types, No brakefan, brakefan and brakefan plus rim cap. Reskit offers the more common style brakefan version, so i went for those. but caution!!! they have the standard rim with bolts, and not the one i needed with a cap around the brakefan.

To get what i want, i needed to do some quick 3d design with blender and printed them with my elegoo mars. went quite well...now i only need to glue them in place, another challange 🙄

also today i did all leading edges. tough job....first airbus paints part of the slats in grey and only leaves a bit in the front in aluminum. but then if you take a closer look it is very dull and has a similar shade as the wing grey.

Soooo...first i had to mask a lot. i hate doing this, its really dangerous and scary when demasking not to lift decals or paint..but with some prep its possivble. next step is alclad's duralumin, followed by a highly thinned layer of airbus grey on top, finished with matt clear coat.

i think its ok, could have sprayed more grey, its still a tiny bit too obvious where the metal section beginns, but i'm ok with it :)

the rudder was a bit different, there were some outer grey sections and in the middle it is shiny aluminum, so i went for alclads airframe aluminum.

IMG_0802 2 IMG_0801 2 IMG_0800 2

• Like 11

5 hours ago, coneheadff said:

It was worth waiting so long for an update👍

AWESOME!!!

haha thx dude... although i failed a bit on the rimcaps, they are a bit too small, so i'll do new ones.

at least i was successful on the wingbox seal. i took a LU united 32X decal as a start and orientated my drawings onthere.

Printed it with my new laserprinter and got it on the model without any issues. the RH side is perfect, LH i missed a bit the kink in the middle, but its ok, learned a few things on that.

Stabs attached.... and engines to come. I dont know if this is a generell issue, but the fit is worse than on some EE kits... its just aweful, i had to cut, trim and sand so much to make them fit without a large gap... anyone else here?

IMG_0806 IMG_0807 2 IMG_0808 2 IMG_0809 2

• Like 8

2 hours ago, RCI said:

Stabs attached.... and engines to come. I dont know if this is a generell issue, but the fit is worse than on some EE kits... its just aweful, i had to cut, trim and sand so much to make them fit without a large gap... anyone else here?

Yes!

Took an age to get them to fit right.  Never did get them perfect but close enough.