easyjet Airbus A319 1/144

Wow, Sini...you have been BUSY! She's coming along beautifully! The windows...ah the windows. Just beautiful. I think I'm in awe of the windows...and the NAV lights...hint hint.  

And by the way...these kinds of WIPs are THE way to present WIPs. get down and dirty in the details, great close up photos, and being detailed about explaining and showing. For me, you are the master of master classes. Enjoying this one muchly! 

Paul

On 6/26/2020 at 2:26 PM, Challenger350Pilot said:

Wow, Sini...you have been BUSY! She's coming along beautifully! The windows...ah the windows. Just beautiful. I think I'm in awe of the windows...and the NAV lights...hint hint.  

And by the way...these kinds of WIPs are THE way to present WIPs. get down and dirty in the details, great close up photos, and being detailed about explaining and showing. For me, you are the master of master classes. Enjoying this one muchly! 

Paul

Hey Paul, thanks so much for your nice comments. But if you could see all mishaps or things gone wrong, you probably would conclude i m just a modeller as you and most here are - maybe with some ticks haha :wacko: actually i think i should post more of the things that went wrong... i m also having quite a learning curve with every build, what comes with every new kit as well.

concerning the windows, i think i will post a comparison between real, clear and 3d printed windows some time. i really know and appreciate the fact that it is the easy way to go, but i dont agree on saying it looks better or more realistic. Maybe i m a bit stubborn on that topic (i keep fighting about it with kurt from authentic airliners all the time haha)...but i prefer it my way (lord of war quote..love that movie).

Anyway, hope to see a lot more builds here, like the Aviaco DC8, your DL MD11 or the air europe 757. it is so nice to have a good community that shares a lot of the stuff.

By the way, Engines from the revell kit give me a bit of headache, cause i have to rethink my approach in generel of making engines. the revell ones are ok-ish, but not really user friendly to assemble :facepalm:

7 hours ago, coneheadff said:

You're right...MP did the last B737-800 flight

By the way...remember MS in the Christmas livery? That might be something special ;)

i only read that these two were the last -800s being phased out. So probably i ll go for MP then... by the way, i want to do the first -800 with eyebrows and without winglets...was it in 1998? i remember in the TXL hangar there used to be a big banner saying, AB was launching customer - you remember it?

hmm i always found the special liveries a bit odd... i think it is actually included in the decal sheet, but i m not such a big fan of that. i rather prefer classics. thats why i made my own decal sheet for the AB USA 737-400 livery... its a must build for me :D  btw. what are you building at the moment?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RCI said:

i only read that these two were the last -800s being phased out. So probably i ll go for MP then... by the way, i want to do the first -800 with eyebrows and without winglets...was it in 1998? i remember in the TXL hangar there used to be a big banner saying, AB was launching customer - you remember it?

hmm i always found the special liveries a bit odd... i think it is actually included in the decal sheet, but i m not such a big fan of that. i rather prefer classics. thats why i made my own decal sheet for the AB USA 737-400 livery... its a must build for me :D  btw. what are you building at the moment?

You mean that banner...

spacer.png

Yeah, but I can't remember the aircraft. Will ask one of the older colleagues. 

Don't ask...haven't finished a model for years now 🤦🏻‍♂️ Shifts, kids practice and tournaments, three moves...

But now I have my hobby space and the kids have grown up. Maybe I can finish a couple of started kits that are still in boxes.

Right now I have two Hasegawa 1/48 A-4 Skyhawks in front of me

2 hours ago, coneheadff said:

You mean that banner...

spacer.png

Yeah, but I can't remember the aircraft. Will ask one of the older colleagues. 

Don't ask...haven't finished a model for years now 🤦🏻‍♂️ Shifts, kids practice and tournaments, three moves...

But now I have my hobby space and the kids have grown up. Maybe I can finish a couple of started kits that are still in boxes.

Right now I have two Hasegawa 1/48 A-4 Skyhawks in front of me

Yepp, that one i ment! i remember it, when i was wasting time in the hangar getting Hartmut Kunkel on his nerves and bugging Martin with his coffeemakers... dear christ, that must have been 2002 or so... i also can find out what their first 738 was. I was just wondering if i remembered that correctly, cause its not possible to find anywhere else that airberlin was launching customer on the -800 ?!

oh that sounds cool... i m excited to see some of your work, i have some scooters, but 1/48 is absolutely not my scale :D

• Haha 1

🤣🤣🤣

Haven't heard Kunkel's name for a looong time. Hope he's doing good and enjoying his retirement...well, actually he was already retired while sleeping...oops, I mean sitting in his office.

By the way...a lot of the older AB guys joined the new Easyjet station in SXF.

I'll try to do a WIP for the Scooters. But I'm such a slow builder and don't know if it make sense.

28 minutes ago, coneheadff said:

🤣🤣🤣

Haven't heard Kunkel's name for a looong time. Hope he's doing good and enjoying his retirement...well, actually he was already retired while sleeping...oops, I mean sitting in his office.

By the way...a lot of the older AB guys joined the new Easyjet station in SXF.

I'll try to do a WIP for the Scooters. But I'm such a slow builder and don't know if it make sense.

haha...yes Kunkel retired decades ago, good old Z3 times hm?

Oh really?? Thats awesome, looking forward to see some of them...allthough i usually only know the faces - but that keeps good old vibes haha. I think its the best they can do, easyjet really is a great oportunity and a solid fortress in europe. i enjoy being there.

cool, looking forward. even if its only a few posts, its always worth. You can get so many good inputs from people here...

• Like 1

Sorry, went way too far off topic.

not so many things to see yet, except finished fans. results are satisfying...still i m learning the hard way - the revell construction really makes my life complicated this time. I m more and more happy when i see kits where the intake is one part i.s.o. included in the entire engine half.

So, what i did - ANYONE HAVING AN EASIER METHODE WITH SAME RESULTS, PLS COMMENT! - i started putting the shaft vent from the zvezda kit on the round base which revell wants me to glue in more or less in the middle of the engine, thx for that revell :D

so i started priming and painting the tailcone of the engine with its base, some oxidised metal / burned metal brown whatsoever.

the round base part will later be seen as outer part of the hot section, so before assembly it was glossed black.

i did that because i wanted to avoid spraying the assembled part, cause it partly hides in the bypass section. Btw. i refined the exhaust section and the bypass, thinned it down to a dangerously fragile level that a bit broke out...so i scratched a 1x1mm piece and glued it in again.

I masked all bypass parts, after painted in grey and black. next step was to glue the hot section with the cone and the fan (masked). went quite well... then both engine main parts were joined.

And then all the fun began with sanding the intake carefully to not scratch or damage the fan. Exhausting.

Started with the first intake ring in ivory, old tamiya mix - so i used that one. here you go...more updated tomorrow :)

IMG_0429 IMG_0434 IMG_0435

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Milczacy said:

It’s really pleasure watching this topic 😀

thanks Piotr!

today i had one of these days...

first i had some issues with the silver color, first try showed that the semi matt alu from alclad is not as good as duralumin in the intake. so repainted it, then the resonator panel needed some darker silver, which was achieved with a highly thinned tamiya wash i sprayed on with high pressure....turned out the color was not black enough, so another go with the darker ones.

then i demasked and taadaaaa...chipped off some paint 😤 not the first time...either i dont clean the resin parts properly or mr surfacer 1200 is not a proper resin primer... maybe someone can give some help here.

after fixing it as best as i could...it looked like this... final result is ok, but i somehow think i should be a bit more accurate with priming next time.

IMG_0440 IMG_0442

• Like 10

Hi Sini...

Looks like a good save to me. I am amazed that you are masking the intakes, specifically the resonator panels. That takes some patience and perseverance for sure! I actually have some gray decals dedicated to that task, cut to size. I've used the spare light colored coroguard sheets for the intakes and they seem to work quite well. I do have a suggestion as far as primer for resin...I have had great success using the Tamiya surface gray primer, sprayed on in thin coats, and allowed to cure at least a couple of days or more. People would argue with me on the application and the cure time...but it works well for me, and I'm in the school that says "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." You also know well that a properly prepared surface is key to anything held in place without chipping and peeling. For resin, a light wash with soap and water, then alcohol, then allowed to air dry, and lightly sanded with 1200 or higher...not wet, then another wash and air dry. What you've done here, though, looks very fine...nothing you can't adjust to make it as you wish. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Challenger350Pilot said:

Hi Sini...

Looks like a good save to me. I am amazed that you are masking the intakes, specifically the resonator panels. That takes some patience and perseverance for sure! I actually have some gray decals dedicated to that task, cut to size. I've used the spare light colored coroguard sheets for the intakes and they seem to work quite well. I do have a suggestion as far as primer for resin...I have had great success using the Tamiya surface gray primer, sprayed on in thin coats, and allowed to cure at least a couple of days or more. People would argue with me on the application and the cure time...but it works well for me, and I'm in the school that says "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." You also know well that a properly prepared surface is key to anything held in place without chipping and peeling. For resin, a light wash with soap and water, then alcohol, then allowed to air dry, and lightly sanded with 1200 or higher...not wet, then another wash and air dry. What you've done here, though, looks very fine...nothing you can't adjust to make it as you wish. 

i think the main essence for me is the sanding prep, i didnt do that. i only washed the parts in soap and water and later IPA, but the surface wasn't sanded....i guess thats the reason. Thx for your input, learned something again!

Those engines are looking great!  I struggled to get a decent job on the engines of my BA A319... Such a pain to mask. I’m satisfied with the results I got but this is excellent!

• Like 1

Just now, BluesModeller said:

Those engines are looking great!  I struggled to get a decent job on the engines of my BA A319... Such a pain to mask. I’m satisfied with the results I got but this is excellent!

haha ...have seen your BA 319, i know its a pain to mask, but obviously on your model it was worth it!

• Like 1

so a little update from today. i started decaling...the 26decals react well with micro set/sol. i also use the revell decal sheet for stencils, they take quite a bit to seperate from the carrier film, but do well with the liquids. the white title's opacity is great. all going with the plan at the moment...

first few applied, majority still to go.

IMG_0457 IMG_0456

• Like 12

Coming along beautifully now

Good save on the engines, with the kit engines I usually join without the fan disc then saw the front off, just behind where the fan goes, I can then work on the interior and add the fan disc late and then add the back half

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Graeme H said:

Coming along beautifully now

Good save on the engines, with the kit engines I usually join without the fan disc then saw the front off, just behind where the fan goes, I can then work on the interior and add the fan disc late and then add the back half

thx Graeme! I m aware about this technique, but i was too lazy to do this...though i m sure it has more advantages than what i do.

I always risk damaging the fan disk when sanding etc. so... maybe i should consider sawing the intake off...

4 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Sure is nicely done. How did you cut out the easyjet lettering when you made the mask?

with a silhouette portrait plotter. this thing saved my modelling live many times. i usually draw things with adobe illustrator, in this case i just search google and downloaded an easyjet vector file, modified it in illustrator, exported it with a module to the silhouette software and tadaaaa it cuts the mask. sounds complicated, but it is actually pretty easy. i have to say that the whole setup from modifying it in illustrator to finding the right blade setup took my a long time. but once you got it, its very simple.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, RCI said:

thx Graeme! I m aware about this technique, but i was too lazy to do this...though i m sure it has more advantages than what i do.

I always risk damaging the fan disk when sanding etc. so... maybe i should consider sawing the intake off...

with a silhouette portrait plotter. this thing saved my modelling live many times. i usually draw things with adobe illustrator, in this case i just search google and downloaded an easyjet vector file, modified it in illustrator, exported it with a module to the silhouette software and tadaaaa it cuts the mask. sounds complicated, but it is actually pretty easy. i have to say that the whole setup from modifying it in illustrator to finding the right blade setup took my a long time. but once you got it, its very simple.

Thought so, I was looking into getting something like that. I already use Coreldraw which does the same as Ilustrator. I should look for one. Is there a different material for the mask you used or is it the large Tamiya sheet?

• Like 1