Zvezda (mostly) MiG-23ML

This is my rendition of the well-known Syrian MiG-23ML (or to be precise a MiG-23MLAE-2, Izdeliye-23-22B) that defected to Israel in October 1989, as it might have looked when standing QRA in Syria at a time before the event.  At the time of the defection itself, the aircraft was armed only with cannon and live flares, but I have shown it with a typical QRA fit of 2 x R-60 and 2 x R-23 missiles.  In that time frame, the medium range AAMs would probably have R-24s rather than R-23s but the R-24s in the Dragon missile set I had were too short, whereas the Zvezda R-23s are actually pretty good (albeit the nose of the IR-guided R-23T in the kit need shortening and re-profiling). 

The base kit here is the Zvezda MiG-23MF, although the rear fuselage (at least in the boxing I had) was a better match for a ML.  I used HiDecal MiG-23 decals, a Pavla MiG-23 cockpit and exhaust nozzle, Armory MiG-23 (late) wheels, Master MiG-23 pitot, RES-IM MiG-23 wheel cover, antennae from a Flightpath set, some parts taken from a Hasegawa MiG-23MF (primarily the windscreen, canopy, some undercarriage doors, and aerials) and a spare ML fin from a KP MiG-23MF. 

The Zvezda kit is generally pretty good in outline but needs a few mods, especially in the length of the fuselage.  I added a 20-thou plate to the rear fuselage ahead of the Pavla jet pipe to give a slight stretch there, another 20-thou shim between the fuselage section and the intakes (adjusting the angle of these at the same time) and a 2mm stretch between the radome and the fuselage.  The really weak part of the Zvezda kit is the canopy, which is too wide and short, giving the nose a squat appearance.  I built up the canopy area to the correct profile to fit the Hasegawa windscreen and canopy.  The flare packs on the rear fuselage that are a distinctive feature of Syrian Floggers are scratchbuilt.  The nosewheel leg was rebuilt to represent the ML (and later) type but I haven’t got the angles quite right, so my model looks like it has had some sort of hydraulic failure!  Plus there is something not right with the angle of the port R-23 launcher.  Ah well …

By the way, if you are wondering about the different orientation of the stars on the wing insignia, that is based on contemporary photos of Syrian MiG-23s.

resized_34d31d28-c1b2-45f3-8304-bc09a5ce

resized_8494361c-0f5a-41b3-8616-bc01314c

resized_240817cf-6b19-4dea-8e84-e4694d1f

resized_fde60362-ae56-44e5-b090-a2047f70

resized_dcc28c99-d4a3-4ec0-9fb0-03da2b60

resized_f7c8965e-9304-4e3e-ab24-a673f60e

resized_9117945f-69b1-4261-ba24-77157982

resized_6abe2c24-adfd-4adb-aa90-814d043b

resized_b60bebd9-e57f-429c-bad1-d24f0f87

resized_a4c3a2cf-8ab5-4061-8687-aa349873

• Like 45

23 hours ago, 28ZComeback said:

Very nice conversion!!! 

22 hours ago, djos said:

Great details and overall look

Beautiful MIG

regards Djordje

22 hours ago, binbrook87 said:

Awesome! 👍👍

6 hours ago, russ c said:

Really nice MiG there, great job

Thank you gents for all your kind comments - much appreciated!

3 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Very nice. The nose wheel sits a bit oddly, though. 

Martin

Thanks Martin, and that's a great link to some super photos!

Yes, the re-work of the nosewheel leg didn't quite work out.  Might try and re-work it using some of those excellent reference shots

6 minutes ago, Vultures1 said:

Thanks Martin, and that's a great link to some super photos!

Yes, the re-work of the nosewheel leg didn't quite work out.  Might try and re-work it using some of those excellent reference shots

If it helps I have more shots from that show at Mitiga. Martin 

2 hours ago, exdraken said:

Fantastic work and attention to detail!

A Syrian MiG-23  nicely complements my Su-22 ;)

Even though your model depicts a plane ~ 40 years ago!

Thanks @exdraken, I was admiring your Su-22 too.  Nice work!

2 hours ago, Graeme H said:

Excellent job

Reading what you did to get the kit to this standard made realize how little I know about MiG23's

Thank you for kind words @Graeme H.  Yes, the differences between the variants and sub-variants of MiG-23s can keep me happy for hours 🙂

10 minutes ago, Ryan Hothersall said:

Nice build. 

Thanks Ryan.  The more I look at that nose wheel, the more it bugs me ...