Duplex Drive Sherman

Smithy1961

Resicast produce this one 351260 Sherman M4A4 DD. It’s a complete resin kit with screens lowered. Quite expensive.

I’m not aware of any plastic kits or conversion kits being available.

There are drawings in Geoffrey Futter’s book The Funnies. An old publication but can still be found. Drawings are 1/76th scale so would need scaling up.

P

Edited by PDH
Additional information

Thanks PDH. It seems both the resin kit and the book are horrendously expensive. I think this is one project that will sit on the back burner for now. My father (still alive) was training (driving) in one of these in India whilst with the 25th Dragoons in readiness for the invasion of Japan. The rest is history, as the saying goes...

• Like 2

I believe Resicast also did the M4A1 version principally used by US forces but with limited UK use in Normandy.  No-one has done the Sherman III M4A2 version used on the Rhine and at Walcheren.

There were several versions of the DD, differing mainly in the skirt support structure and the later use of an air compressor instead of air tanks.  I don't know which is modelled by Resicast but I suspect Mk Is for D Day.  I believe the later ones were all M4A2 Sherman IIIs.

This is not something that could easily be kitted in injection plastic, erected or folded.  Not impossible, but not easy.

Yes, Resicast, have produced a M4A1 with both US and British markings. The one I have is a 2 day old combat version with the screen long gone but with the front board and fittings still attached. The M4A4 is a fine kit.

Neil

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have been and still am waiting for a plastic kit of a Sherman DD (Rhine crossings) now for 15 years! It really seems to be a task to difficult and a topic to strange for the average model-companies to tackle. (SIGH!)

Sad Richard 😢