Don Sheppard 1836 FAA JT410

JackG

1 hour ago, JackG said:

I was thinking of thinning it more to scale, or even remove and replace with some thin brass sheet, in which case I would position it more closed if in flight?

https://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/f4u/pages/nasm_f4u_04.shtml 

This gives a good view from the wrong angle. yes thin sheet aluminum was all it was with the appropriate internal support. 

• Like 1

Excellent, that view looks to have it just slightly open.  

Looking at a pdf copy of the manual,  the diagram illustrates it as detail E, Intercooler flap:

MPb7GGz.jpg

A little reading and it conveniently lists the possible positions and when to use (red bracket).   It was also mentioned, further on, wide open position after landing so the interior cools down quicker.

U0U49nl.jpg

regards,

Jack

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Great info, thanks Jack. This looks like it's going to be a top notch build.

I never knew to call it the intercooler flap. Almost all reference pics I've seen show the exhaust staining ending abruptly at the trailing edge of the flap, so I think it was often open, or perhaps there was still a 'lip' when it was closed.

Here's a pic I snapped at the Reno Air Races in 2017 that shows what I mean.

100_0696

The same abrupt edge is seen on many WWII reference pics as well.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Got some work done, so will start the update with the last discussed detail concerning the intercooler flap:

spacer.png

After cutting out the flap, cleaned up the edges, and added a strip of sheet plastic to act a a lip for the new thinner piece made from brass (inset photo).  Right now it is sitting loose, but once fixed in place will only be slightly open.

Clipped wings are done, though might need some further sanding once a coat of primer is on - lights will be sorted out at the end:

spacer.png

1.  After the initial sessions of adding two part epoxy, a temporary 'winglet' is super glued in place to aid in adding another round of putty.

2.  Winglet removed,  original plastic strip (from previous update) can clearly be seen sandwiched between the green putty.

3.  Wing tips sanded smooth, and in anticipation of breaking the pitot tube, have also sanded flush a 0.9 mm tube (0.72mm inner diameter), inserted into wing leading edge.

spacer.png

Have also done some work in the cockpit area, beefing up a replacement headrest.  Also added sheet plastic to the rear of the kit part that sits directly behind the pilot.  The edges are beveled so some semblance of a panel will still be there.

regards,

Jack

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Well this one is starting to unravel, leave it to me to take what was suppose to be a straight forward build (it's a Tamiya for pete's sake!)   I have a bad habit of spotting things and trying to improve, so here we go with the gun ports ...

spacer.png

Drilled out the holes large enough to accept brass rods.  These will act as sleeves to hold the more smaller brass rods.   In hindsight, should have planned this out before joining the wing halves.  As it is, had to stuff putty through the spent ammo chutes underneath, to help hold the brass in place.

OmUAn9m.jpg

Three different diameters are slid into one another, but only the innermost one is full length.  Reason for this to have an area to hold some putty (exactly where the red no.1 is diagrammed).  Even 15 second super glue in gel form won't give enough time to push this assembly into place.

spacer.png

Final part to make are  those surrounding bare metal parts.  I tried both in plastic sheet and brass.  Being only 2mm by 2mm, not too bad I suppose, but very difficult to get all looking same shape and size.  So I've looked at custom photo etching, and found one in  Scotland PPD Ltd:

https://ppdltd.com/

Just like decals, they have a minimum size and cost, so now I'm busy designing several stuff to make it worth my while.  Hopefully by end of week can get back to the model bench ....

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG
  • Like 6

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

@JackG

hi,

just wondering if this ever got finished / whether you will be resurrecting it?

also, re-the colours of the roundels you posted in this image (below)...

what is your take on the underwing roundel of '6S'? 

the Fundekals website / research seems to show white then red then blue - which is what i had always thought, but wondering if i am missing something obvious?

and has the outer portion of '6C's fuselage roundel been painted with one of the TSS scheme colours?

Cheers

Nick

Uu52QoW.png

Hello @nicholas mayhew

Do hope to finish this one day, but not sure when.   Last year I had some PE made for the project but that has been it.

About the roundel questions . . .

1.) - underwing roundel appears same dimension as that of the foreground aircraft but with an added ring to make the white center smaller.   Doubtful it is red since the main reason for altering the national marking was to remove that shade to avoid any chance of confusing with the IJN Hinomaru.  The outer blue is dark possibly due to being the original roundel being factory painted in the States.   Not sure what was used but Insignia Blue or Duponts Dull Blue are a much deeper colour than RAF roundel blue.

2.) - YES to the fuselage repaint question

Sort of quick study of the roundel.  Just picked what was handy off my drive so incorrect type for underside but I did say it was quick and colour locations are the same.   Dupont shades are taken from the chart that has been posted numerous times on these forums.   In the b/w simulation for Panchromatic film it does show the RAF blue is lighter and maybe should be more so in comparison to the photo.   Fresh paint and possibly the white underneath results in a brighter paint?

spacer.png

• Thanks 1

Hi Jack,

thanks for coming back on this, and I do hope you finish your build one day soon!

very interesting re the roundels - and I get what you say about the whole point being to get rid of any red / avoid confusion with Hinomaru etc

such a shame there are no colour shots of any of these Corsairs, but the more I think about it, the more I’m with you on the ‘no red’ (even if I think it looks smarter with red lol)

thanks again, you and others here on BM have helped with research for potential future project(s) a great deal

Happy modelling 

Nick

Edited by nicholas mayhew
  • Like 1