Don Sheppard 1836 FAA JT410

JackG

So this will be Tamiya's 72nd scale F4U-1D, based somewhat on the artwork below.   I've drawn up decals and sent them out to the printers last Thursday, so couple weeks for sure before I'll have them physically.  

nQ4uRF5.jpg

The tail marking is about the only one I did not change, well almost.  Made the white and blue equal widths, but for the rest:

1.  - underwing roundel will have lighter surround representing fresh paint, or possibly showing a little difference between American and British Sky Grey

2. - original artwork has a red Indian chief's head, but I could not find any references about this.  So will not incorporate this, but in it's place will add the chalked warning "GUNS LOADED"

3. - going with slightly larger fuselage code letters (20 inches) based on studying the well known photos of a pranged Corsair (see image below)

4. - more visible original roundel of 36 inches, with a smaller white portion

5. - smaller serial, adjusted to what should be 4 inches height

HMS_Smiter_Okinawa_1945.jpg

Photos of plastic to follow ...

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG
  • Like 12

Mind if I sit in on this one? 

As you know Sheppard flew this aircraft to 4 victories

04.01.45 0850 & 0900 2*Ki43 Oscar Destroyed. Operation Millet I

24.01.45 0825 Ki44 Tojo Destroyed.  Operation Meridian I

29.01.45 Ki43 Oscar Shared Destroyed.  Operation Meridian II

I was going to do the same aircraft in 1/48 but  have too many other builds on at the moment.  It’ll have to be later in the year....

Good luck with your build..

• Like 1

Hey guys, thanks for all the interest on this one.

Concerning the tail flash colour dimensions, I've seen examples of three variations of how the blue and white were split.  The only one I'm certain it was not was the white being larger than blue, which was likely worn initially in 1944 when the European tri-colour had the red portion painted over in white.  

I believe  it was in these forums that it was stated the colours should have been a 50/50 split.  Even so, it's possible Sheppard's mount could be either of the latter two options.   There is a photo example of another Corsair squadron showing both styles at the same time, as well as different roundels:

spacer.png

From the above it could be concluded, when the 6 inch white portion of the fuselage roundel was in use, them the narrow white fin flash was employed?  :hmmm:

regards,

Jack

• Like 4

Nice subject choice and honourable work getting an accurate set of decals made :thumbsup:

I'd think that, with regard to the dimensions and style of markings on these machines, a few variations could be found across and within squadrons as individual interpretations of the orders by different painters cracking on to get the job done quickly can be seen in various photos. Therefore unless a clear set of photos are available of your particular airframe are available a reasonable interpretation is good enough. Your decal artwork certainly looks good with all the known information taken into account. Don't suppose you considered making a few sets of your decals?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Col. - thanks for the compliments. 

I have the decals drawn up in vector format, so they can be  scaled up to any required size, and quality would stay the same.  I can pass on a file of that if you wish?

The printing aspect I leave to those with machines that can do white ink.   The set for the Corsair are being printing by DrawDecal, an outfit in the States.  They themselves only deal in airliner decals, but will do custom work if you prepare the artwork yourself.   They also charge for a full sheet (8 1/2" x 12") whether you need that size or not, which comes to  USD$25 plus shipping.   Needless to say, I spent the last nine months or so researching and designing a number of subjects to get my money's worth of a full sheet.

regards,

Jack

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Right, I've saved the Sheppard decal markings to pdf form, and anyone that wants to download them can find them here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1or8vlV2VcIbEBD4usNL4JSYG0L1iRihb/view?usp=sharing

Again these are 1/72 scale, and included in the set is an extra pair of fin flashes with narrow white section, and four extra roundels in case you don't fancy the coloured surrounds.

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

No probs with posting the decal pdf, hope they of are some use.

Anyhow, here is the sprue shot - I did tape together the fuselage halves and wings as an aid when designing my own decals.  On the body can still see a circular tape representing the small roundel, and a rectangular piece used to size up the fuselage codes:

n2gfV23.jpg

regards,

Jack

• Like 11

Almost yes ... I need to find something for the cockpit interior paint colour, as I don't normally build American manufactured aircraft.   Also been looking at the pair of fuselage air scoops and underside air duct - need to scratch build these details.   Wonder if anyone has ever determined a measurement for those? 

kd4311.jpg

a8kpfxj.jpg

Using a photo of the Corsair at the FAA musuem, and basing calculations on the roundel's outer ring of 2 inches, the scoop looks to be about 2 3/4 inches square, plus some added slope opposite of the open end.   At 1/72 scale, that is less than one millimeter, or more precisely 0.79mm.

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, JackG said:

I need to find something for the cockpit interior paint colour

That subject is a bit of a can of worms! The link at the bottom gives details on US aircraft and as the RN Corsair was built in the US I would reckon its a safe bet to go with it. I've been using Mig Ammo paints US interior green which is quite a bit darker than British Cockpit Green, I haven't seen any period colour pics of RN aircraft to confirm or deny this, so it would be a do as you please situation. This is what mine looks like:

20200604_201022

And the link:

https://www.ipmsstockholm.se/home/interior-colours-of-us-aircraft-1941-45-part-iii/

Hope this helps,

Bob

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Cockpit tub, minus the gunsight, is assembled.  Going with an inflight model, so have added a PJ Productions RAF pilot.  Will need to shave his rump slightly to better sit in the seat.  Might lob off the headphones too and replace with slightly smaller rod bits - the lighter weight fabric headgear (D type) was smaller in this particular detail.

6gRSatD.jpg

Continuing with the inflight theme, went to work fitting the landing gear doors in the closed position.  All six of these pieces (three per wing) pretty much just float in place and had to be held with epoxy putty (green stuff).   The smaller upper individual doors fit nicely, but because of the way the wing halves sandwich together,  putty and the larger door sections had to be applied to individual wing halves:

VvUiJCS.jpg

Not too happy with how the starboard side ended up with all those gaps - perhaps my own fault from sanding too much.   Going to give it a go with some sheet plastic and aim to improve the fit look.

Ending this update on a positive note, was notified my decals are on their way as of yesterday.

regards,

Jack

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

As mentioned in the GB chat section, had some wing root gaps to deal with while still in the test fit stage:

aPoO25A.jpg

A little sanding at either end of the fuselage assembly that mates to the bottom wing, helped close the distance.  In the end still added strips of 0.13mm sheet plastic along the fuselage root section.   I doubled up the thickness to 0.26mm towards the rear wing root area, port side:

8rKyDYG.jpg

Have also started the clipped wings - of course I trimmed too much off.  Decided to remove the remaining stub off, with plans to rebuild the entire clipped section.  So far have the basic shapes reintroduced.  The brass L-shape represents the navigation light area, while @1mm wide plastic strip is the main body.  Last pic in the trio have these new pieces sanded flush, though still have to do a final check for the shape as viewed from above/below.   Then on to fill out the remainder with two part epoxy ... fingers crossed.

AzCvoVz.jpg

regards,

Jack

• Like 7

Got a few more detail questions:

1.)  On the underside fuselage a little ways aft of the cowl area, there is a huge opening.  Did this articulate on the real aircraft?  What was it's purpose, did it work on the same principal as the cowl flaps?

2.)  The various lights on the exterior that are molded concave, is this correctly detailed, or should they be flat lenses like the solitary clear one that the Tamiya kit provides?

regards,

Jack

31 minutes ago, JackG said:

Got a few more detail questions:

1.)  On the underside fuselage a little ways aft of the cowl area, there is a huge opening.  Did this articulate on the real aircraft?  What was it's purpose, did it work on the same principal as the cowl flaps?

2.)  The various lights on the exterior that are molded concave, is this correctly detailed, or should they be flat lenses like the solitary clear one that the Tamiya kit provides?

regards,

Jack

Are you talking about the supercharger outlet door or the bomb aiming window ?

It's in front of that bottom window, so would have to be supercharger outlet door?  Sounds like the proper technical name - but yeah, I was thinking of thinning it more to scale, or even remove and replace with some thin brass sheet, in which case I would position it more closed if in flight?

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG