Viva La Revolucion!! F4U-5NL Argentine naval Aviation 1963

3 hours ago, modelling minion said:

I am very pleased to hear that John, we could do with a few more in some GB's, including this one as I'm surprised there are none from the "Football War" represented here.

It was a fallback idea incase someone else did a Boyington's corsair. That or there were too many of one type. I could still switch my F.A.A. Build technically ? All I need fo is add rockets and dual drop tanks under the center section to a -1a to get an 1D. Here you go @John Masters this is pretty much it all you need do beside this is make sure the Malcolm type hood has no horizontal bars like the 1a has.

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, John Masters said:

My little research via wiki says the same.  I think the El Salvador bird I would build would be FAS-207, the dark blue aircraft with the ES markings overpainted on the American stars and bars.   I have seen a superb ES camo build here on BM already.  Very complex airbrushing...

Do you know anyone who has those decals?  I am not wanting to buy the whole Printscale set...

I actually built 207 about 10 years ago! I used the Airfix box of the 1/48 Otaki kit, I still have it but it's not brilliant. I used decals from Aztec which I think had everything I needed, I don't know of anyone else who does it in 1/72 but I seem to remember Kora or somebody did some FAS Corsairs and Hannants had them.

9 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

It was a fallback idea incase someone else did a Boyington's corsair. That or there were too many of one type. I could still switch my F.A.A. Build technically ? All I need fo is add rockets and dual drop tanks under the center section to a -1a to get an 1D. Here you go @John Masters this is pretty much it all you need do beside this is make sure the Malcolm type hood has no horizontal bars like the 1a has.

Another South American one would be great Dennis but please don't change your build on my account, I like the schemes you have chosen for your builds.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Malcolm type hood has no horizontal bars like the 1a has.

I have no idea what that means...

6 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Kora or somebody did some FAS Corsairs and Hannants had them.

I'll check it out...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, John Masters said:

I have no idea what that means...

A 'bubble' canopy as opposed to the earlier straighter profiled and heavily framed units :) 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Col. said:

A 'bubble' canopy as opposed to the earlier straighter profiled and heavily framed units :) 

Thanks!  I might have to use what I have, though.  So please forgive me.  Ordering hobby supplies or replacement parts is difficult in the best of times where I live--and very expensive.

• Like 2

Some more progress to report today.

The wing assembly has had the final inserts added to the front, the fit was not great but they have been glued filled and sanded into submission;

spacer.png

As you can see there is a little bit of filler left to clean up.

The fuselage has also been fitted together;

spacer.png

This has gone together pretty well with the exception of the tail area which seemed misaligned and took some persuading to align and stay in place, when the glue and small amount of filler I will start the sanding. 

The cockpit looks pretty good in situ;

spacer.png

Now it gets less fun. One of the things with this kit is ejector pin marks, the wings and fuselage are okay but when it comes to some of the smaller components the news isn't so good, take a look at the insides of the gear doors;

spacer.png

And then there are the rockets, these are made up by fitting a tail section (with marks of it's own) onto the main body which has a couple of quite deep marks, the tail isn't a brilliant fit either;

spacer.png

The thought of having to fit,fill and sand all 8 rockets does not make me happy, to the point that i'm thinking of leaving them off and just fitting the bombs.

Thats where she stands at the minute so as usual thanks for looking in ad all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

The seatbelts look great as well as all the fit and fill and sand work craig.

maybe you can get away with just doing the front ejector pin marks on the rockets if the rear ones (including the tails) are hidden by the pylons and wing?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dansk said:

The seatbelts look great as well as all the fit and fill and sand work craig.

maybe you can get away with just doing the front ejector pin marks on the rockets if the rear ones (including the tails) are hidden by the pylons and wing?

Thanks Paul, I'll fill the front sink mark and see how it looks.

• Like 1

Hi Craig. I hope you and yours are well. Great to see you off and running with another build and looking rather good too! Those ejector pin marks do look like they are going to be a bit of a pig to clean up! Good luck with them! 🤞

Take care and stay well.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Craig. I hope you and yours are well. Great to see you off and running with another build and looking rather good too! Those ejector pin marks do look like they are going to be a bit of a pig to clean up! Good luck with them! 🤞

Take care and stay well.

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Stix, your kind comments are very welcome, as always.

The ejector marks are indeed proving to be a pain to remove but I am slowly getting there.

• Like 1

Bit of a change from how she looked last time I did an update, this is how she looks now:

spacer.png

As you can see the wings and tailplanes are on, the flaps added and all the other bits for the wings such as the radar pod, rocket rails and cannons. The front cockpit canopy is on too, this was a pretty good fit but did have a small gap in the centre which was easily sorted with PPP, as were the very minor gaps at the wingroots, here's a closer pic of the area;

spacer.png

This is how the undersides look;

spacer.png

No issues at all in this area with all the separate bits fitting rather well with a gap where the pitot fits being the worst, as the hole for it is at least twice the size of the pitot! Here's a closer look at the centre section of the undersides;

spacer.png

The wheel wells will be sprayed the same colour as the airframe but the undercarriage itself (which was covered in ejector marks) seems to be aluminium in colour from the few pics I have found of my particular aircraft (204) in Argentine service, not sure what colours the tailhook are.

I also have now hit a slight problem, Argentine Corsairs carried a DF loop aerial behind the cockpit and there isn't one in the kit, or my spares boxes, so I might have to try and make one somehow, Hasegawa also omit a "T" shaped aerial from under the rear fuselage which is fitted to all F4U-5N's but that should be fairly easy to replicate from some wire.

Thats it for today so as usual thanks for looking in and all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 8

Hi Craig. Hope you and yours are keeping well in these strange times. Great to see you have made progress on your project and (apart from the issues with the ejector pin marks) it does look to be going rather well. I hope this continues for you!

Take care and stay well.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Craig. Hope you and yours are keeping well in these strange times. Great to see you have made progress on your project and (apart from the issues with the ejector pin marks) it does look to be going rather well. I hope this continues for you!

Take care and stay well.

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Stix, all well at this end mate I hope that you and your family are all okay too.

She has gone together quite well really and I'm sorting the pin marks where I can.

2 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Wow, quick progress Craig, it's looking great, and the interior work is so impressive!

Thanks Cookie, really glad that you like her so far.

1 hour ago, John Laidlaw said:

Looking excellent, Craig! Sorry about the ejector pi marks, though...

Thanks John, as I said to Stix I am sorting the pin marks, well most of them anyway.

I should have got some aluminium paint on her this weekend but for one reason or another (one being distracted by another model) I haven't really touched her. I shall have to fix that tomorrow!

• Like 1

And she is.....

spacer.png

Shiny!!!!!

Vallejo chrome, performed flawlessly as usual. Next step is a trip to my LMS on Friday (I have an appointment don't you know!) then I will have some YZC to spray on before the Glossy Sea Blue. Then it will be decals and weathering!! My favourite bit. :) 

• Like 8

Hi Craig. Hope you are well. Ooo...shiny, shiny Corsair! Very nice finish! Looking forward to seeing the next stages.

Take care and stay well.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Craig. Hope you are well. Ooo...shiny, shiny Corsair! Very nice finish! Looking forward to seeing the next stages.

Take care and stay well.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks mate, you take care too.

Do you think that the "Victory Show" will go ahead in September? I hope so as its supposed to be the last year :( .

12 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

That looks so cool Craig, it's a shame to add any more paint! Well, not really - it will provide a great base for weathering.

Did you use a primer, or paint the Vallejo directly on the plastic?

Cheers Cookie, this time I applied the paint directly onto the plastic but I have used their black primer when I build something with a NMF.

11 minutes ago, John Masters said:

Tough about the ejector pin marks.  Milliput maybe?  Especially the gear doors...

Thanks John, pretty much got them sorted, at least the ones on the gear and doors.

• Like 1