Garage find no2 - Matchbox Mystère IVa

46 minutes ago, perdu said:

A long churchwarden might suit an exhibitionist Aerobatic Team driver...

Surely a Camel and a drop of Gallic flair for this one 😉

Sadly I found myself looking for suitable figures last night it’s not a good sign🤪

• Haha 1

Tonight I have mainly been filling, sanding and scribing

after further research on the horizontal tail surfaces I have had to fill and rescribe the kit pieces as they are definitely for the later slab tail variant 

spacer.png

plus a bit more work on the wing fuselage joints; sanded and more filler - hopefully that will be it🤞

• Like 4

I built one of these a couple of years ago as part of the Matchbox group build. It's one of the worst fitting Matchbox kits I've come across. 

MIVA18

Finished as a hard worked Israeli ground attack aircraft in June 1967.

John 

• Like 2

Almost ready for paint
spacer.png

spacer.png

revised tailplane installed (bit of filling and sanding to do) but don’t think it looks too bad

spacer.png

also decided to change the collectors to be the smaller one from the early version

spacer.png

new seat arrived (looks more appropriate than the last one) and started work on the undercarriage 

spacer.png

well that’s me done until Sunday (work ☹️)

• Like 2

Even though I’m at work (wfh) I’ve managed  to get a cheeky hour in on the Mystère this morning 😁

final sanding done and undercoat on - ready to start painting on Sunday 😎

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

(the Ouragan box was my last build but it’s easier to use for keeping the build bits together for this build  than the matchbox one 😳)

• Like 4

The painting proper begins - lots of masking, spraying and “touching up” has got me to this stage 😳

Next masking off the tricolour bits ready for applying the metal finish on the fuselage and vertical tail surface

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

On 6/8/2020 at 3:20 AM, perdu said:

A long churchwarden might suit an exhibitionist Aerobatic Team driver...

For a moment I thought you were giving out cryptic crossword clues. :unsure: :D

That is looking everso tidy Dean, it is going to be a real looker in that scheme.

Steve.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

After another round of masking I’ve done the NMF bits - Vallejo Metal Color (various shades) - am really starting to like these 😊

not as much touching up required as I thought there maybe - next will be a gloss coat and then on to the decals 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

That is gorgeous.  Tell us more about how you applied the Vallejo metal?  Did you dust it on, give each coat time to dry, and dust it on some more, or did you apply it all at once?  I've had good luck with it, but it always comes out a little dull for me and not as smooth as AK Extreme Metal or Alclad II.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Tell us more about how you applied the Vallejo metal?  Did you dust it on, give each coat time to dry, and dust it on some more, or did you apply it all at once?  I've had good luck with it, but it always comes out a little dull for me and not as smooth as AK Extreme Metal or Alclad II.

Couple of reasonable coats of aluminium Airbrushed (touch dry only for the second coat so about 10 mins)  and then the odd panels picked out in various other shades / mixes from the panel set with a hairy stick. I then give it a light coat of gloss varnish (not klear) to seal it otherwise its really easy to mark the surface. This is my second aircraft I’ve used them on (used for the 1st time on garage find no. 1 - Heller Ouragan)

spacer.png

I’m quite happy with how it’s going Tbh  though I’ve not really tried the others you mention so can’t really compare 

• Like 3

Dean,

Great progress with the Mystère and that is a really nice Ouragan, well done sir!

7 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

There's something very special about Heller kits.

I happen to agree and if you think like that you maybe interested in this forthcoming Group Build - the Heller Classic GB later this year!

Apologies to Dean for the slight thread hijack.

Decals done on the Mystère - didn’t go well even though there are only 16 for this scheme🤪

Most were ok bit thick so the side stripes needed copious amounts of Micro Sol to get them to sit right but the ones for the “spine” were dire - broke up and were way too short - anyway ended up painting them in the end with a hairy stick (they are ok just don’t magnify the image too much 😳)

Next a coat of gloss to seal everything and then wash the panel lines.

spacer.png
spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

Dean,

This is superb work and a great exercise in what can be done with a kit that isn't state of the art, well done sir!

• Thanks 1