Spitfire Mk VIII in Burma

Here is my 1/72 Eduard Mk VIII built for the Spitfire Group Build currently ongoing at this site.

This kit nearly got thrown against the wall six or seven times during the build. There was nothing inherently wrong with the model, it just felt like I kept screwing it up along the way. I dropped it a few times and broke parts.

I forgot to add parts that were a massive pain to install later, and I had problems with the airbrush throughout. Not the kit's fault. just a bad mix of circumstances. 

But I fought it and won. And now i'ts done. So I present, the Spitfire Mk VIII, stationed in Burma in early 1945. 

IMG_20200530_215751-XL.jpg

IMG_20200530_215735-XL.jpg

IMG_20200530_215803-XL.jpg

IMG_20200530_215834-XL.jpg

IMG_20200530_215841-XL.jpg

IMG_20200530_215854-XL.jpg

IMG_20200530_215941-XL.jpg

• Like 43
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, tomthounaojam said:

look like Kopro decals? I think this marking was based in Palel, India sometime attributed as in Burma ( I maybe wrong) anyway, very nice Job.

Decals are from Eduard. You may be right about Palel. I don't know much about the operations in the CBI theater. 

They operated out of Singapore in Sept ‘45 and most likely still flew over Burma.  Early on in 44 they operated out of Palel and did the same thing with their Mohawks and Spitfires.

I believe at this Late time frame the aircraft would have had the white I’d band on the tail but up until they’re move to Singapore I believe they only had them as you have modeled.

Im doing the same kit and almost identical markings.

Yours looks great, I really like the colour palette.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, everybody. 

On 5/31/2020 at 9:15 PM, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Nicely done!  Sorry you dropped this bird.  That always makes for a lousy day.  Good that you persevered with it!

I dropped it twice. The first time I broke off one of the wingtips, which was a real bear to reattach. Its still not quite right, and a touch wiggly. 

The second time I dropped it was after painting. This time one of the cannons and a gear door broke off. 

I also had a glue run when I tried to attach the side door. the TeT somehow flowed to the belly, where I was holding the model. It melted the paint, and melted a great big fingerprint into the plastic. 

Other crap went down too. I'm just glad its done. I'm very much over spitfire models for a while. :)

On 6/1/2020 at 7:57 AM, Bangor Lad said:

Nice work. I have yet to build one of the Eduard Spitifires. Looking forward to it.

I hope your experience isn't as frustrating as mine. This is the third Eduard Spitfire I built, and to be honest, I don't think any of them were all that much fun. Nice? Yes. But no fun. Maybe I just chose to work on them during particularly frustrating times or something. I don;'t know. Again, I'm not blaming the kit. Most of the problems were user error. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I`m glad you won because it looks great!!!!  I`m currently on the losing end of the Special Hobby Barracuda Mk. II.  I hope that it turns out a fraction as good as your Spitfire that you have presented here.  :goodjob:

Mike

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

I`m glad you won because it looks great!!!!  I`m currently on the losing end of the Special Hobby Barracuda Mk. II.  I hope that it turns out a fraction as good as your Spitfire that you have presented here.  :goodjob:

Mike

I lost the fight with my SH barracuda. Best of luck, and get some canopy masks if you can find any. Trying to mask the ill defined frames on the greenhouse was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Edited by SoftScience
  • Thanks 1

Well despite all the issues you had making it you have produced a beautiful looking Spitfire! Very well done! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

A nice job on that in spite of your frustrations, I've enjoyed looking at it. I've recently read the Norman Franks Book, The Air battle Of Imphal. Although several Squadrons flying the Mk VIII such as this were involved in that Battle, 155 squadron which this one represents, must have been later but likely still based in that area providing air cover for the campaign to retake Burma.

Steve.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stevehnz said:

A nice job on that in spite of your frustrations, I've enjoyed looking at it. I've recently read the Norman Franks Book, The Air battle Of Imphal. Although several Squadrons flying the Mk VIII such as this were involved in that Battle, 155 squadron which this one represents, must have been later but likely still based in that area providing air cover for the campaign to retake Burma.

Steve.

Good read?

16 hours ago, SoftScience said:

Good read?

I enjoyed it, very much a personal histories sort of thing which gives a decent impression of what it was like to be there. Franks has come in for criticism of some of his books, the 75(NZ) sqn one in particular comes to mind but I've no reason to think this one is as bad, others may have differing opinions of course.

Steve.

• Thanks 1