Corsairs x3- updated! Decals on!

rob85

So with a slight concern about over stretching myself I will be doing 3 corsairs for this GB.

I have two American bombers on the go at the moment, the B-24 is closed up and pretty much painted and the B-17 is started, so will probably get onto this once I’ve closed up the B-17 but we will see. 

But any how, the aircraft in question! I had always planned on 3 NZ aircraft but I have had a change of heart. The options I’m pondering are below, but first off the kits!

GC5LmWI.jpg
1RV9QXI.jpg

QiUX2Kj.jpg

three fairly well thought of kits and all appear pretty well detailed, the last Corsair I built was the old Hase kit so these should be a bit better.

the decals.

YNXxilQ.jpglike a number of others I’ll be cutting up this sheet and I’m thinking of the below options.

DPwzvc1.jpg
this is a definite as I want a classic American Corsair, just like ‘skipper’ from planes my boy says, so he’s in.

Next in is this little classic, I know it’s going to be done a lot but I really like the scheme.

5xqGAPl.jpg

and then it’s the decider between the two, I might change my mind again!

1WWLA6G.jpg
N5sZkiQ.jpg

so we shall see!

comments and suggestions very much welcome!

cheers all.

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 7

Ambitious - I take my hat off.

I'll be really interested to hear your thoughts on the merits of each kit.

I've not built Tamiya or Italeri,

but have built the Academy - which I thought excellent,

and am building Revell - which I'm finding overcomplicated.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cookenbacher said:

Whoa, a proper triple Rob!

It will be great to see the 3 kits compared and contrasted.

Cheers Cookie, that’s why I want to build them together to be honest, understand the difference! Looking at the kits in the box the tamiya kit looks to be in front. You know I love a multi build!

1 hour ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Ambitious - I take my hat off.

I'll be really interested to hear your thoughts on the merits of each kit.

I've not built Tamiya or Italeri,

but have built the Academy - which I thought excellent,

and am building Revell - which I'm finding overcomplicated.

I share your thoughts from looking at the revell kit, and I’m glad you liked the academy kit! 

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Oh boy, three Corsairs! :tasty:

:popcorn: :beer:

Well that’s the hope! We shall see if they get finished, I did try and start the same three models for the Radials GB and I think I managed painting one part.

Rob

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Wow Rob, you are going to be busy aren't you!

Some nice choices, I have to say I quite like the Post War RNZAF one used on occupation duty in Japan, not something you see built very often.

True.... and I’m not surprised your vote have gone for a NZ option. I’m thinking along the same lines, but feel bad that I don’t have the FAA represented with a Corsair in my collection... that said I have more blue paint than I do EDSG etc so that could be a deciding factor!

Rob

• Like 1

On 6/1/2020 at 2:53 AM, rob85 said:

comments and suggestions very much welcome!

Hi Rob,

Sorry just catching up with all these builds.

Quick note, I just noted that the "Modellers Notes" for the

Post WWII RNZAF FG-1D, would have you paint over the

RNZAF WWII Roundels with Fresh Glossy Sea Blue.

Some thing must have got lost in Translation there, as the Roundels/Bars

were over-painted in Fresh Non Specular Sea Blue.

These FG-1D's lined up waiting to go to Japan at Hobsonville Airfield (where I grew up)

show the paint differences to good effect

FG+1D%2527s+at+Hobby.jpg

Happy modelling:thumbsup:

Regards

Alan

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Heres a triple treat :D Be interesting to see your thoughts on the differences between the kits although I think you need a fourth kit to cover all those cool decal options ;) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/31/2020 at 6:31 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

From someone else doing a triple build welcome to the triple gull wing club and build. 

Dennis

Cheers muchly, I am a fan of multi builds of the same type!

On 5/31/2020 at 6:39 PM, Beazer said:

I love that scheme for your RNZAF Corsair!

I really like all the RNZAF options and would happily build them all!

On 6/1/2020 at 5:50 PM, moaning dolphin said:

A great array of Corsairs there Rob, looking forward to seeing these come together

Bob

Cheers, They have indeed come together.

On 6/2/2020 at 5:02 AM, LDSModeller said:

Hi Rob,

Sorry just catching up with all these builds.

Quick note, I just noted that the "Modellers Notes" for the

Post WWII RNZAF FG-1D, would have you paint over the

RNZAF WWII Roundels with Fresh Glossy Sea Blue.

Some thing must have got lost in Translation there, as the Roundels/Bars

were over-painted in Fresh Non Specular Sea Blue.

These FG-1D's lined up waiting to go to Japan at Hobsonville Airfield (where I grew up)

show the paint differences to good effect

FG+1D%2527s+at+Hobby.jpg

Happy modelling:thumbsup:

Regards

Alan

Alan that’s very helpful, and even shows the Stubs for the rockets I would have missed them off otherwise! I’ll do my best to recreate this when it comes to the painting! 

On 6/2/2020 at 6:53 AM, modelling minion said:

Thats a great photo Alan and perfectly illustrates the different paint used, thanks for sharing it.

I’ll second that.

On 6/2/2020 at 10:36 PM, Col. said:

Heres a triple treat :D Be interesting to see your thoughts on the differences between the kits although I think you need a fourth kit to cover all those cool decal options ;) 

Ha, a forth would be nice yes but I have run out of corsairs, these won’t be my last from this sheet but they won’t be in the GB.... so don’t get your hopes up.... as for the difference between the kits see below...

TAMIYA: (just to stop confusion)

so we will start with the Tamiya kit which will be dressed as

N5sZkiQ.jpg
Kathleen.

the kit is delightfully detailed, and the cockpit goes together well.

heres it’s little seat.

T0CmMmY.jpg

and here it is seated...

ak03RzO.jpg

R8jsHsZ.jpgI would have liked more detail on the dials, I haven’t gone the full ‘Cookie’ and painted these tiny details in... I’m just too lazy.

the whole cockpit slots together and makes good sense.

the two haves go together ok, but leave a terrible seem down probably one of the most prominent and detailed areas of the aircraft! Really poor engineering of this kit I feel!

kUbwttE.jpgmaybe it’s just my building but I think even if your a master craftsmen, something I’m not you would still need sanding and have to remove the delightfully moulded details!

zuXO8M4.jpgwing was drilled for rocket stubs and then assembled.

YIySjzX.jpgthat’s annoying 

KkqZjge.jpgthat top cowl again.

JIztDy3.jpgand from the front.

The engine is nice and went together fine it got a wash after this pic but I don’t appear to have taken a picture of that

GcKHvWh.jpg

Then I get to work on all those seams! Using this

RcsKlXY.jpg29p from Superdrug.... and shine is what it does.

SVRvRsu.jpg

I will paint it and make sure there are no further issues but it all passed the finger nail test.

ANmBBjj.jpgI lost the original gun site, it pinged out my tweezers so I nicked the revell one as this will have its hood back.

0zXkEQM.jpgengine was glued on. See it’s been given a wash!

yODSiik.jpghere’s its engine cowl, slightly out of focus, sorry.

finally it had the dog house added.

CpMMKN5.jpg

And that’s where we’ll stop with her, but more tidying up and Kathleen is ready for paint. All in all nice kit, shame about the seam placement.

ACADEMY:

this will be the RNZAF F4U-1 from Guadalcanal.

5xqGAPl.jpg
my favourite scheme.

well this one is not my favourite, I don’t have a great track record with single engine Academy kits, or multi engines for that matter! I’m yet to finish one!

the cockpit isn’t as nicely detailed as tamiya and it has he same seem placement but with the added value that the to half’s did not want to line up. Any way here’s the cockpit.

5C8lJGJ.jpg
Pretty standard fair, but isn’t terrible considering the scale and that I get the kit for £7, obligatory tape seat belts added.

The shape of the IP is naff but the dial detail is better than tamiyas, which is nice.

MkR3dTn.jpg

I popped it all together but the gun site, that’s moulded to one half just would let the coming sit properly, could be me and not the kit, maybe I put the IP in the wrong place... IDK.

The engine...

3ljutNU.jpg

It’s on the left, and I really don’t like it, if I had one I would use a resin replacement. It’s really fat and just looks like a big, grey, boob... which is not attractive. It’s also very flat. It’s really naff...

also there is a lot of moulded on pokey out bits, which isn’t helpful, and will no doubt all get knocked off while I build! One already has been (so pointy thing on the underside) here the pitot in the wing.

rgA4hbq.jpg

the wings when together fine and glued onto the fuselage with little fuss. It has the same awkward seem on the underside as tamiya, all seems will get the same work over as Kathleen the tamiya kit has.

zoVf3jP.jpg

abracadabra

HGZu1u2.jpg

a little spot the difference game for you.

I then put the cowl on, no choice in flaps only kit that doesn’t, but the only pic I appear to have is in the group shot, sorry.

overall it’s not terrible, but the poor details and simple design and fit let’s the kit down, I would rather build the old Hase kit that fits beautifully but has raised detail if I’m honest.... next up!

REVELL:

this one will be K99, classic marine Corsair.

DPwzvc1.jpg

this kit has only one saving grace and it tamiya had done it it would have made there kit near perfect... and it’s this.

op0svEM.jpg

the rest of the kit is a pain! It’s just fiddly and over complicated!

the cockpit has nice details but it’s assembly is far from sensible or logical... to me anyway.

sL4QW1Y.jpgsorry best pic I have! But trust me it looks better than Academy’s kit.

the kit, probably because I wasn’t careful enough with the cockpit takes some real work, and tape and clapping!

rmDgZg7.jpgthe over complicated wings going on.

vHcOt7p.jpgthe unnecessary separate vents being clamped in place. Also why is there a separate bit for the rear fin that the rudder attaches to?

This however, fits like a glove...

7UHpCSd.jpg

it’s engine looks good.

c6TAdWE.jpgI hadn’t actually finished painting it when the pic was taken, the bit above the gear case got painted black and then it was given a dark wash.

But the 4 bits of cowl and flaps have an annoying fit that means lots of sanding!

gikVlsO.jpg
4x0eoYi.jpg

any how, it’s not the best design but I still prefer it to the academy kit, mainly because it has good eternal detail and engine detail which once you have put in the extra work will look good... I hope!

So this is where we are at. And here’s a family photo.

d7YTbTS.jpg
BAvxpxG.jpg

from left to right Tamiya, Revell, Academy.

so tamiya is best, but it’s still not their best work. Revell is 2nd over complicated and takes some time and concentration. Academy is 3rd, easy-ish build but the fit isn’t great and detail lets it down....

sorry this is a lot longer than I expected! If you have got to this point have a pat in the back.

Rob 

• Like 7

You see why im not a fan of the Revell kit, the whole cowling and tail assemblies are 💩 i had to grind on my cowling and its still not perfect. I do like the over the nose single section as it does preserve a lot of key detail. Now if we could combine the Tamiya and Revell we could have an almost perfect corsair. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cookenbacher said:

Wow Rob, that's some real quick (and quality) work! Three!

Thanks for the side by side comparison builds, very informative.

Cheers Cookie glad you liked it! They are an enjoyable trio, I have a real big soft spot for American radial engined beasts... just don’t let the spitfires know, I keep them in separate cabinets...

53 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

You see why im not a fan of the Revell kit, the whole cowling and tail assemblies are 💩 i had to grind on my cowling and its still not perfect. I do like the over the nose single section as it does preserve a lot of key detail. Now if we could combine the Tamiya and Revell we could have an almost perfect corsair. 

Literally had the exact same thought when I was building them!

cheers all.

Rob 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That is one hell of an update Rob!

Some very nice work going on and to get all 3 to this stage in such a short time is fantastic.

It's interesting to see the 3 builds side by side and the different ways that the manufacturers have approached the design of the kits.

• Thanks 1

Wow, what an update, Rob! :clap:

As other said, the comparison is very interesting, and you did a great job on all three of them! :worthy:

Ciao

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Paint, gosh it’s a pain, especially the colours.... blue is always discussed do much on here, and all aircraft look cool in different types and shades of blue... but when they are historical I should try and get them right... so here’s how my attempt unfolded.

first off what I’m working with.

TTEduMp.jpgthese are the blues I have to try and get these ladies covered up, from left to right, Humbrol 15, revell Lufthansa blue, humbrol 104 (whys it so grey, everyone else’s is blue?!) and tamiya medium blue.... let the mixing and use of incorrect paint shades commence.

first off here’s my first try at the lighter blue on the marine Corsair, at first when I mixed it it looked good then it dried.

revell, k99 USMC

Od1MJ67.jpg
even worse over the revell white plastic.

6f5Hx4i.jpgthis was made from three tamiya paints, white, medium blue and royal blue, it’s way to bright and far too blue. So I tried to tone it down.

yNfnI3m.jpglooking better but still not right, so I re mixed and used hardly any royal blue for a more muted tone, but before I show you that here’s some work on the upper surfaces.

JGS4m44.jpgI think that’s near it but, maybe a touch lighter so worked on another cote, slightly lightened using HU 90, if memory serves this is revell Lufthansa blue, HU 104 and 90.

e7PUYeB.jpgand as you can slightly see the lighter blue has been repainted, here’s a closer look.

I5WVq24.jpg
gUznYm8.jpg

we shall weather this all after it gets the white sprayed, and it should blend a bit more. The line between the colours is too stark but painting be bush it’s hard to get that soft demarcation line! 

next up is the Academy, RNZAF Corsair from Guadalcanal.

this will get a really good weather I think and is a mix of the later gloss blue scheme and earlier three colour scheme, which I started by painting the wrong way round so had to repaint the whole thing... what fool.

8YLPsMJ.jpgthis is after the repaint... first couple of cotes.

07yPtVK.jpgthen done, I’m pretty happy with that. The gloss blue is HU 15 with added HU 104, all behaved rather nicely!

then it was the Tamiya, Kathleen RNZAF, turn for paint... well I say that, I actually started her first, with cote after cote of gloss blue.

iuCWSpy.jpgafter

gXv3QOr.jpgafter

z43UwQT.jpg
after... oh it’s too blue

OGUq5NL.jpg

way too light, need to be a deeper darker blue! But I must say these humbrol glosses are a peach to brush paint! 

but that blue is not this blue...

7c45hwP.jpggod it’s a majestic beast, this is the duxford FAA Corsair, no not the aircraft I’m doing but a good guide. So I added more HU 104 to darken and grey the colour.

6oOogwG.jpgno still not right bit as this will be ‘faded’ gloss sea blue I think I can make it work. (It’s actually a touch darker in real life)

should have just bought a set of @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies  would have made this process a lot easier as he’s mixed them for us... but I’m told I’m not allowed enamels... but I’m working on her she will come around!

so here we are after a hard days mixing paint, there was more mixing than the above, here’s a little snap shot on one of the mixing trays

2lE3Tay.jpg

and the paint factory at rest

m2NrLut.jpg

that is a forth Corsair but one a made earlier, like blue peter. 

and the family photo...

xW4P2J0.jpg

Left to right tamiya, academy, revell.

and a little side note, my daughter turn 10 a few days back and asked for fine liners and alcohol ink markers as she loves drawing and has been practicing Manga and Anime... here is what she did with them....

w9iiJav.jpgit’s her, with cat ears and a hoodie made of waffles and a wedge of butter on her head....strange concept but I like her skills! 

anyhow, feel free to point me in the right direction!! Cheers all

Rob

• Like 5

Hi Rob,

I like your perseverance with the paint mixing, and painting

the aircraft :D

Your builds are coming along nicely, especially looking forward

to your RNZAF builds (Yes, I'm biased:D)

Thanks for sharing your build journey with us

Look forward to your next installment

Regards

Alan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

First: impeccable paint job(s), I just love them and between you and @Cookenbacher you're making me itching for a Corsair build (must resist, not the right time yet :D )

Second: your daughter's work is truly outstanding, pass my compliments to her, plese :clap:

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

That is some excellent paintwork Rob, your dedication to getting the colours right does you proud and you have got a lovely smooth finish, espeecially for brush painting. Top work mate.

And talking of top work, your daughter really does have drawing skills as her anime/manga picture of herself is very good indeed.

• Like 2