Corsairs x3- updated! Decals on!

rob85

4 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

Hi Rob,

I like your perseverance with the paint mixing, and painting

the aircraft :D

Your builds are coming along nicely, especially looking forward

to your RNZAF builds (Yes, I'm biased:D)

Thanks for sharing your build journey with us

Look forward to your next installment

Regards

Alan

Me too Alan, don’t let the USMC know but I just picked their aircraft because I really like the big K99 on the side, the RNZAF are my favourites! Thanks for the comments.

3 hours ago, giemme said:

First: impeccable paint job(s), I just love them and between you and @Cookenbacher you're making me itching for a Corsair build (must resist, not the right time yet :D )

Second: your daughter's work is truly outstanding, pass my compliments to her, plese :clap:

Ciao

She will be chuffed to hear that, she’s practiced a lot and does commissions for her mates at school (when they were at school!), she just bought a book on how to draw anime for £15 with her birthday money, and watching tutorials on it is nearly as religious as minecraft!

glad you like it, the gloss paints went down beautifully and self levelled like a dream. The are a bit rough now I’ve mixed them with matte or satin finishes, but will be weathered so should be fine.

a Giemme Corsair! Yes please! I can wait.

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

That is some excellent paintwork Rob, your dedication to getting the colours right does you proud and you have got a lovely smooth finish, espeecially for brush painting. Top work mate.

And talking of top work, your daughter really does have drawing skills as her anime/manga picture of herself is very good indeed.

Really happy with the end result on the paint as there were a lot of changes but the cotes appear to have gone down well! Hopefully won’t mess it all up on the next steps!

i will pass on your comments and she will be over the moon to know people like it.

cheers all, and should have an update mon/tues if all goes well!

Rob

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ad a couple or three drops of Black or darker blue to it ? 

That’s a fair point, I didn’t think of adding black! Foolish.

Rob

Impressive on the fly paint mixing Rob, and your brush skills are amazing. That gloss blue may be too light, but the finish is to be envied.

Wow, your daughter's art is so cool, perhaps she'll start her own comic series - waffle shirt, so awesome.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

You know you want tooo :wicked::hypnotised:... come over to the bent wing bird side.

I do have a Tamiya 1:48 Corsair in my stash, and planning to go wild on weathering with it (ideally on a base with coral sand and palm trees...) , but next build is gonna be a different breed of bent wing... :whistle:

Ciao

• Like 4

18 hours ago, giemme said:

I do have a Tamiya 1:48 Corsair in my stash, and planning to go wild on weathering with it (ideally on a base with coral sand and palm trees...) , but next build is gonna be a different breed of bent wing... :whistle:

Ciao

😍 a heavy weathered Corsair!! Very much up for that!

different breed of bent wing, curious, what kind of era?

19 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Impressive on the fly paint mixing Rob, and your brush skills are amazing. That gloss blue may be too light, but the finish is to be envied.

Wow, your daughter's art is so cool, perhaps she'll start her own comic series - waffle shirt, so awesome.

cheers Cookie, I am envious of the finish you can get with an airbrush and that softer demarcation lines, something I’m yet to work out convincingly with a hairy stick! 

she would love her own comic, both of them come up with so many crazy ideas! She may even come out with her own Waffle merchandise as it’s her ‘gamer tag’ when playing minecraft and she wants to do a YouTube channel... kids!

cheers for the comments chaps

Rob 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rob85 said:

different breed of bent wing, curious, what kind of era?

Still WWII, Rob - think about it, it'll come to you in no time... :)

Ciao

• Like 1

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Still WWII, Rob - think about it, it'll come to you in no time... :)

Ciao

Stuka is the only bent wing I can think of, that would be cool, especially in Italian markings.... unless your doing a Hienkel 112?! That was a cracking aircraft and a really good thing the nazis didn’t take it instead of the me110!

Rob

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, giemme said:

Italian Stuka (Picchiatello) is the right answer :) :) In 1/48, BTW :winkgrin:

Ciao

I was going to but 1/48! I should have been braver, this is excellent news!

Rob

• Like 1

I’m a fool, a complete fool!

a) I don’t spray things often, and there’s a reason, I’m not good at it.

b) I’m not very careful with my masking

c) I rush and don’t check paint schemes! 

a+b+c = stupid mistakes 

L1HCFDG.jpg

how did I not mask the entire wing underside but completely mask the top, the area least at risk from over spray!

1e9ZmhO.jpg

that’s really not helpful

but things get better right?

xkacnKB.jpgnope as the demarcation line I did which I thought was right is completely wrong... great

LgP6O8x.jpg

but surely I would make the same mistake on the other one right??

ZTopChh.jpgwrong!

3894ofu.jpgand look at the terrible finish in the white (true the blue isn’t my best work) and I chipped the cowl the flaps so they need painting again....

so paint I did! Sanded back the white and re mixed the light blue to get this.

VdTchBA.jpgbetter but will need another cote (will there even be any panel lines to see, if I sand this thing back it will look like a gobstopper)

and here’s the other...

unCAZLs.jpgagain needs another cote

after the amount of painting on these and the b-17 I’m done, I would rather be decalling and that’s saying something.

anyway, onwards and upwards

Rob

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

As Craig says we all have bad paint days, take a look at my build to see what I'm talking about. 

Starting on page three or early on four I have all sorts of trouble on the paint. Its all recoverable and fixable, just walk away for a day or two and work on something else if needed. Then come back with a fresh new perspective. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, rob85 said:

how did I not mask the entire wing underside but completely mask the top, the area least at risk from over spray!

Hi Rob,

Been there, done that, got the Tee Shirt:D

I did exactly the same thing with my RNZAF Corsair build in the Pacific GB

end of 2018, lost count of the amount of times I had to redo the Insignia White/Int blue,

or over spray - I feel your pain.

On the bright side, coming along nicely, keep up the great work :thumbsup:

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rob85 said:

if I sand this thing back it will look like a gobstopper

Fantastic analogy Rob - I guess that's basically what multi-level hairspray technique does. You could make quite a scale model of a gobstopper!

Those are looking really good, I especially like the double scheme one (Academy?).

If you sort of stipple/dry brush between the two colours you can replicate the soft demarcation line - practice on something first, but it's doable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cookie has a point, Rob. It's all fixable from what I see, anyway :thumbsup:

Masking for multiple camo tones takes a bit of thinking and planning, especially if you use blue tack worms. Outlining (by brush) the demarcation areas with very thinned paint can help

Ciao

• Thanks 1

So I moved on from the paint pains and after re painting they get a gloss cote and decals!

first up K99.

loTLK6k.jpg
vMrLi3G.jpg

kvguj19.jpg

all transfers went down well 

now for the cut and shut RNZAF

Qr56gD3.jpgthe fuselage markings are not the correct ones, as they broke but there is only a slight difference to the others that I used. 

lfdGhSi.jpg

and next is Kathleen.

first I needed to make it look like the old makings had been painted out, not in fresh paint as the decal sheet says but with the directions given by @LDSModeller (I think it was you) from the photos.

hHTWjQe.jpg
QFvJAw8.jpg
0tmlpCU.jpg

Then transfers over the top, the model looks really blue in these pictures because of the light but the pictures above are more colour accurate.

DAj3hVt.jpg

mINFZrg.jpg

and that’s it really, just one last family photo.

1RG61hX.jpg

it will be on to the weathering next!

Rob

• Like 9

11 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

What a beautiful blue family.

Agreed! :clap: And impeccable decals posing, I must add :worthy: 

Ciao

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Always good to get the decals on a model, or three!

They are all looking very nice Rob and I particularly like the painted out earlier markings on Kathleen, a very nice touch.

Thanks very much! I thought that the RNZAF Corsair with the two schemes on would be my favourite but actually I’m warming to Kathleen and her rather random scheme as well.

13 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

What a beautiful blue family.

I do like a blue aircraft it must be said! Thanks cookie.

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Agreed! :clap: And impeccable decals posing, I must add :worthy: 

Ciao

Cheers Giemme, very kind of you to say.

Rob

• Like 3

So weathering has begun, first up is Kathleen who got a wash with grey and a matte cote to take the shine off, once that’s dried she will get further weathering probably with pastels.

qudcrmL.jpg
sCX3PRI.jpg

also another cote of matte as she’s still a bit too  glossy.

then the RNZAF Corsair get a grey wash, matte cote and then later got liberally abused with pastels to give her a real beaten up look.

igbVvfY.jpg
ZGWIk2O.jpg

little bit more work needed and some fuel staining and she’s ready for canopy and all pokey out bits.

thats all for now!

Rob

• Like 9

Those are a bit blooming nice Rob,I wish I'd realised you were doing these Kiwi ones, I'd have paid more attention. :) No real favourites, othr thate two Kiwi bird, though I do like the 1/2 & 1/2 one, they're both aircraft I hae on my to do list & its no coincidence that after starting this thread earlier in the day, I've grabbed another Tamiya Corsair, from Mighty Ape, our local answer to Amazon, it was on a good special. :D 

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1