Corsairs x3- updated! Decals on!

rob85

On 7/8/2020 at 9:59 PM, modelling minion said:

They are looking great Rob, the weathering is certainly working.

Cheers more below.

On 7/9/2020 at 12:36 AM, AdrianMF said:

They all look really good! I think blue suits the Corsair...

It’s very useful to have a direct side-by-side comparison between kits too.

Regards,

Adrian

It really is useful, I shall only bother with tamiya is what I’ve learnt.

On 7/9/2020 at 5:55 AM, stevehnz said:

Those are a bit blooming nice Rob,I wish I'd realised you were doing these Kiwi ones, I'd have paid more attention. :) No real favourites, othr thate two Kiwi bird, though I do like the 1/2 & 1/2 one, they're both aircraft I hae on my to do list & its no coincidence that after starting this thread earlier in the day, I've grabbed another Tamiya Corsair, from Mighty Ape, our local answer to Amazon, it was on a good special. :D 

Steve.

A good idea Steve, I will no doubt pick up some more at some point. I might have been a cunning plan to mention the NZ ones in the title, they appear rather popular! Glad you like them!

On 7/9/2020 at 8:27 AM, giemme said:

Tasty weathering, Rob :tasty:  :clap: 

Ciao

Cheers giemme, I hope you find the rest as tasty or at least tasteful. I have heavily weathered these as the pictures of the real thing all appear to show them as weather beaten and especially sun bleached!

so here they are! First up is K99.

I started by using a tamiya weathering pallet which has, smoke, rust and snow on it, now the snow is rather good a lightening surfaces to show a bleached look. So I used snow on the material areas then smoke and rust for the exhaust staining.

BPEuTyK.jpg
3xXgkcu.jpg

MdeqBa6.jpg
t4GQcb5.jpg

I then used lighter blue and sand pastels to create the coral and sun bleached look over the rest of the airframe, and made some staining for the guns.

MOOHhCR.jpg
8r1FvHZ.jpg

also desaturated the decals with the snow weathering pallet. I will do some fuel staining then start added the last few bits, like the canopy, landing gear and ordinance.

Kathleen was given a real going over to try and recreate the faded an worn look from the pictures and decal directions. This was again done by using snow, pastels and smoke on some panel lines. Smoke and rust for the exhausts.

OqG5VOb.jpg
otCp96i.jpg

hnsZslX.jpg
vPFMDoi.jpg

she looks a bit over done in the above photos as the light is quite direct, however looks a little more subtle (only a bit) in real life.

and here’s the underside 

Huavnxo.jpg
so next will be the same as the above, all the little bits to add.

and I carried on with the underside of the cut and shut NZ bird.

3F5ocIm.jpg

that’s all for now!

cheers.

Rob

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I know you've got these 3 on the go but was curious if you were going to go for a fourth with Sally ? 

I would love too but think I have enough on my plate with these three and the two heavies (B-24 and B-17) I also planned on starting a 109 for the BofB GB! I’m also lacking a Corsair kit! Though a silver Corsair would be great!

Rob

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry chaps this has stalled somewhat due to having a lovely op on my mouth, they surgically removed a tooth as a filling broke and cracked the whole tooth with it! Getting an appointment has been about as painful as the flipping tooth!

It’s healing now but still painful, but I’ve also had to go back to work as I’ve been taken off furlough. No bad thing really but has meant my modelling time has nose dived!

hopefully I’ll get some time soon!

Rob

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

Ouch! Get well soon. At least the dentists were open. A friend of mine broke a tooth at the start of lockdown and it wasn't pretty...

Looking forward to more of the Corsairs when you are up to it.

Regards,

Adrian

• Sad 1

Very sorry to hear about your dental problems Rob, I am all too familiar with similar pain and just how much it can affect you. 

I've also had to go back to work too and know how much valuable modelling time it takes up. 

I hope that you can re-join us again soon and that your mouth heals quickly. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

After having a very busy month or so I didn’t get much chance at all with these, really gutted!

hopefully I’ll get some time on Monday to finish them off and post in RFI.

thanks for a cracked GB though!

Rob

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, rob85 said:

After having a very busy month or so I didn’t get much chance at all with these, really gutted!

hopefully I’ll get some time on Monday to finish them off and post in RFI.

thanks for a cracked GB though!

Rob

Sorry to see these not finished and in the Gallery. I understand that life comes first and want to say thank you on behalf of the hosts for joining us. Please tag me(us) in the RFI, Im pretty sure they would like to see them finished I know I do. 

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...