1/700 Flyhawk Deluxe HMS Penelope

17 hours ago, Gisbod said:

Ooh, I’ve just got a bargain on eBay! A Pontos set - KGV 1943, to go with the Tamiya Prince of Wales kit. Can’t wait! 😬 And I didn’t have to go to Australia to get it... 

Guy

Here you go then. You can safely ignore the Tamiya instructions for KGV as well as most books - I've yet to see any evidence of a KGV class battleship wearing B6 like all the books say, yet we know for a fact they wore MS4 which the books don't say! After May 1943 when the paints were replaced with a new, simplified series, both B6 and MS4 which had been different colours but equal in tone were replaced by a single blue-grey called B30 and it's B30 which was photographed on HMS Howe on the Suez Canal in 1944 long after the new paints had been introduced. I also know for a fact that the vast majority of published authors are unaware of the timelines of the paints and venture that because they see blue-grey on Howe in 1944 that it must have been the similar appearing B6 there all along.

So, when the camouflage was first applied in 1942 she wore lots of MS4:

HMS_King_George_V_1942_final_1024x1024.j

seen here in original colour

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205123838

and

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205123837

And by mid 1943 the camouflage pattern had creeped a little in shape (ships were as a minimum touched up if not fully repainted fairly regularly and if not the paint will look heavily distressed - see HMS Ark Royal in 1941 for an example) and the colours will have been replaced by the new G&B series paints:

HMS_King_George_V_1943_Camouflage_df3a71

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Another excellent build Guy. You seem to manage a level of finesse and detail in this scale that I would love to achieve. I suspect if you try 1/350, your results could look rather spectacular!

Terry

• Like 1

Well you have a couple of days away from the bench and look what happens loads to catch up on this was a quick one but you seem to be flying along with your builds  👍

beefy

• Like 1

Guy, you have probably already said this somewhere but...

what did you use for the signal things on your rigging (can you tell I haven't a clue) are they painted beads or made from putty or something else entirely?

• Like 1

Hi Joel,

Nothing special - just a blob of superglue applied with a tooth pick and then painted.

Guy

ps I don’t know what they’re called either! 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...