1/700 Flyhawk Deluxe HMS Penelope

Finished!

As ever with Flyhawk, a flawless kit with the addition of an Artwox wood deck (lovely), paints MRP, rigging Modelkasten & Infini.

Pre War scheme (although I don’t tbh know if any of the configuration is wrong as it’s a 1940 kit?). 

Next in the queue is Scharnhorst (1943) - another deluxe Flyhawk kit (deluxe meaning more PE and brass barrels).

Any feed back welcome! 

Guy

ps actually next in the queue may be an aircraft to break things up a bit, I’ve got an Armory 1/48 Fairey Flycatcher in the stash, I may have a fiddle with that.

Anyway, quite pleased with the build until, as ever, I take close up pictures! 

Mini build thread here:

A7-D693-C8-2-D0-B-4528-8860-0-C68-EF7-A3

EA902-EFD-3-DA5-409-E-816-F-0-CDF47-B56-

EF2-A17-EE-F19-C-492-D-923-A-8-BDAFED3-A

63-F85432-3073-4-F58-8020-B70-ED23-E8-E3

F85731-D7-ACB3-4-DAD-83-FD-E09-CE727-DBE

05868-B1-A-0987-4-A84-8-F55-077-E0652-F8

0-E4-BB36-A-4-DFC-423-F-B8-D1-412060-BAE

12162087-09-E5-4-B80-88-AC-50-E411-E1-AD

56-B6-CC00-E4-D6-441-A-A4-BC-BD4-DAC6-ED

6-B07605-B-2-ED3-4943-936-D-A407-FA49968

750-D6-A59-89-D2-4-CBD-BF58-1409-E848-DC

9-CBD4-D40-E419-44-BD-82-CA-1-A39236-E68

B52-BB8-A7-087-E-43-C9-BD11-FB4-E2-E1-B9

Edited by Gisbod
  • Like 45
  • Thanks 1

Ps I’ve just read ‘The Ship’ by CS Forrester based on HMS Penelope in the Med. Written during the war before she was sunk in 1944.

Loved it! 

Guy

• Like 1

Pps

I’m half tempted to build a 1/350 ship, just to see what I can do with her now I’ve got a couple of ships under my belt. Best kits? Anything to compare to Flyhawk?

I know Flyhawk allegedly had one in the pipeline but that seems to have slipped off the radar.

Any recommendations welcome.

Do 1/350 kits come as waterline options? I rather like them.. 

Thanks,

Guy

20 minutes ago, Gisbod said:

I’m half tempted to build a 1/350 ship, just to see what I can do with her now I’ve got a couple of ships under my belt. Best kits? Anything to compare to Flyhawk?

Any recommendations welcome.

Do 1/350 kits come as waterline options? I rather like them.. 

I'll float a suggestion without too much background knowledge: what about a modern Soviet/Russian type or if you want to stay in the WW2 era I think Tamiya produce a 1/350 scale Fletcher class destroyer.

Hello Guy

what a spectacular build! The Seafox on the catapult is a little gem. You motivated me to continue with my ships on the bench. Thanks!"

I have been eagerly awaiting your construction at KM Scharnhorst, one of my favorites.

The 1/350 scale ships from Dragon have waterline, some Trumpeter not - I think that it would not be a great problem for you to cut off the hull.

But in this scale there are many models with several flaws.

I would suggest to try HMS Dreadnought from Trumpeter - there are a lot of PE and wood decks available.

Regards

Andreas

• Thanks 1

I had to check back to the title to confirm that this really was 1/700.  Flyhawk clearly produce exquisite little kits and you've built and painted it beautifully if the little details look this good under the considerable magnification used in the photos.  The catapult is a work of art in its own right and I like the way all the colours look "right" ie not unnaturally bright.  I feel that the magnification does no favours to the wood deck: obviously this is no criticism of your modelling but to me it looks overscale and I can imagine a matelot or two tripping over those furrows between the planks!   I expect it looks fine under normal viewing conditions though.

Anyway: well done.  I envy you your keen eyes and steady hands.

• Like 1

Thanks 😬

Having spent the evening looking at potential targets, I am leaning towards Trumpeter’s HMS Exeter with the Infini Models detail up set (pretty extensive (& expensive 🥴), lots of brass, PE and wood!). Any reason I shouldn’t? 

That said I will look at HMS Dreadnought and Scharnhorst too in this scale. Although, every time I think ‘ooh I’d love to build that’ then I can’t seem to find either the kit or the PE or the deck available to buy! HMS Exeter is available. 

Guy

1 hour ago, 85sqn said:

absolutely wonderful! As a ship newbie, I am getting close to trying a Flyhawk kit.

Do it! 

@Gisbod have you thought of an aircraft carrier? I built the Trumpeter USS Lexington back at the start of the year and found  it great with the Eduard detail set. I think having now experienced Flyhawk aircraft that swapping out the air wing might be worth doing too.  

I am constantly tempted by one of the huge Japanese battleships or sticking with Flyhawk, HMS Agincourt looks lovely.

• Like 1

@OutcastJoel

Hi Joel, yes I have, I fancied a 1/700 Japanese/ American Carrier (the British ones have painted decks). but I had the same issues with availability.

I wanted a) the kit, b) a wood deck and c) a good PE detail set. But could I find all 3 for one kit anywhere worldwide? No. I spent 2 days googling and I couldn’t come up with one! 

As for 1/350, I haven’t tried yet. I think it would just be too big...

I’ve got 2 lovely 1/700 Flyhawk kits in the queue - Scharnhorst & Bismarck. I just fancied a go at 1/350. But I’m finding the same issue with availability - I can count on the fingers of one hand kits where I can find a good PE & deck set to go with a kit that aren’t sold out. Any thoughts @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies ?

HMS Exeter is the only one I’ve found that I fancy so far (and that’s in Australia!).

Is everyone else finding this an issue?

Frustrated of Sussex.

1 hour ago, Gisbod said:

@OutcastJoel

Hi Joel, yes I have, I fancied a 1/700 Japanese/ American Carrier (the British ones have painted decks). but I had the same issues with availability.

I wanted a) the kit, b) a wood deck and c) a good PE detail set. But could I find all 3 for one kit anywhere worldwide? No. I spent 2 days googling and I couldn’t come up with one! 

As for 1/350, I haven’t tried yet. I think it would just be too big...

I’ve got 2 lovely 1/700 Flyhawk kits in the queue - Scharnhorst & Bismarck. I just fancied a go at 1/350. But I’m finding the same issue with availability - I can count on the fingers of one hand kits where I can find a good PE & deck set to go with a kit that aren’t sold out. Any thoughts @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies ?

HMS Exeter is the only one I’ve found that I fancy so far (and that’s in Australia!).

Is everyone else finding this an issue?

Frustrated of Sussex.

Actually yes, I am kicking myself for not getting HMS Dreadnought when she was on sale at Sovereign Hobbies a month or two back. I think that was the last time I saw a ship I wanted available with all the aftermarket in one place.

On the bright side I have a whole load of aircraft I should be building to reduce the stash rather than grow it...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Hi Guy,

I'll physically go check where we are stock-wise. Our webstore has played some magic tricks on us recently...

Edit: it's correct. We're out. How about the Academy USS Indianapolis and Pontos set?

Thanks Jamie, much appreciated. Yes, I had seen the Indianapolis and it’s under consideration. I’m just not quite so enamoured by the American ships. Looks a great set and I may come back to it. Are the Infini sets (Exeter) gettable?

58 minutes ago, OutcastJoel said:

Actually yes, I am kicking myself for not getting HMS Dreadnought when she was on sale at Sovereign Hobbies a month or two back. I think that was the last time I saw a ship I wanted available with all the aftermarket in one place.

On the bright side I have a whole load of aircraft I should be building to reduce the stash rather than grow it...

Thanks Joel, Yep, I think if you see something in stock you want, best to grab it! Although, I shouldn’t be buying stuff either, I’ve got a shedload of aircraft to make! But what the heck, it’s fun 🤪

15 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

Guy - another spectacular build - lovely detail and rigging

I'm reading "The Ship" too.

Rob

Thanks Rob, I really enjoyed ‘The Ship’ - cracking read.

Guy

Edited by Gisbod
  • Like 1

Infini is pretty quick at sending stuff, but we've only just received our latest order from them so it'll probably be another 2 months til more is in. For normal people that works but for a chap with plenty money and apparently little to do all day besides make models I doubt it fits your timescale :D

Re. Indianapolis - the Academy 1/350 kits are all the same tooling. The Premium Edition just comes with half a Pontos set included is all.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/academy-14107-uss-indianapolis-ca-35--196072

18 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Infini is pretty quick at sending stuff, but we've only just received our latest order from them so it'll probably be another 2 months til more is in. For normal people that works but for a chap with plenty money and apparently little to do all day besides make models I doubt it fits your timescale :D

Re. Indianapolis - the Academy 1/350 kits are all the same tooling. The Premium Edition just comes with half a Pontos set included is all.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/academy-14107-uss-indianapolis-ca-35--196072

Thanks Jamie,

That’s a con then - on the front of the box it says ‘New Tooling’ in big letters!

I may not have a job next month (BA) so I won’t have plenty of money then! I’m trying to buy stuff now in case! (Don’t tell the wife...) But you’re right, I’m not the most patient modeller! 

BNA in Australia have the Infini HMS Exeter set and I used them recently to get the Flyhawk Bismarck kit - took about 8 days and postage was £8 which was pretty impressive! I guess you always risk a customs charge though... 

Guy

ps I just saw your HMS Exeter build - nice! Seems you didn’t have too many issues with it.

I talked Park Sang-Hyun through everything I found with the Exeter kit and the Infini set fixes almost everything. The only remaining issue which they shied away from (because it needs a resin casting to fix) is the foward funnel which has some diagonal trunking at its base from the forward boiler uptakes. On the real ship this trunking was narrower port-to-starboard than the main funnel itself. Trumpeter has made it full width. There kit is quite nice insomuch as it fitting very well, but typically for Trumpeter there's a bunch of daft things wrong with it due mainly to the Eastern European plans they usually use as the single reference for their RN kits - in short if Profile Morskie has made an error on the plans, you can bet money on any Trumpeter kit faithfully replicating that error in the kit! Sławomir Brzeziński who is Profile Morskie has done the best he could from Poland without necessarily accessing primary source references such as the builders' plans so whilst not bad, they're usually a bit off. He's always says (on Facebook) that Trumpeter has never worried about copyright etc when making model kits from his plans. Saying that, when Trumpeter was new lots of people sent them proprietary work (White Ensign Models' masters for a resin HMS Renown went there) and/or just saw their own kits complete with known inaccuracies copied by Trumpeter (obviously with no attempt at compensation...)

Anyway - long story short - the Trumpeter kit is accurate to Profile Morskie's plans which got some bits wrong/missed bits etc. The Infini set for it fixes all of it that I found except the funnel.

@Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies

Jamie, thanks for the info. Yep, I’ve made a couple of Trumpeter’s aircraft kits in the past and swore I’d never touch them again! I thought they were awful to be honest, everything looked out of whack, so the Naval build being the same doesn't surprise me. That said, with the Infini upgrade set, it seems it should be ok. 

My other option is the Tamiya Mogami Cruiser/ Carrier - I can get that kit with a Flyhawk set, and I imagine it’s a nicer base kit, but leaning towards Exeter at the moment.

Guy

48 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I have the Mogami aircraft cruiser half built. It's a very nice model. I'm building it with White Ensign Models' set. There is/was a thread but I think Botophucket defacto poleaxed it...

You seem to have lots of half built kits on the go Jamie! 😜

Which did you prefer.. Mogami or Exeter? 

The Tamiya Mogami is the better kit of the two, but I prefer Exeter as a subject.

As for half built models - I do indeed. My day job is very serious and dead-line driven, so I don't worry about not finishing models. Modelling is a precarious hobby and it doesn't need much to tip it from enjoyable to contemptible in my world! When I lose interest it gets shelved and I do something else :)

Ooh, I’ve just got a bargain on eBay! A Pontos set - KGV 1943, to go with the Tamiya Prince of Wales kit. Can’t wait! 😬 And I didn’t have to go to Australia to get it... 

Guy

Blink and you miss it!

That's another excellent build Guy, really impressed with the quality of tour work.

May just shame me into getting my Aurora on the go again, almost been a year since I did anything on her!

KGV or PoW? Either will be great! :popcorn:

Geoff