1:32 Tamiya Spitfire Mk.IXc

50012945197_20fd61187c.jpg

After the seat had been painted with XF-64, the “supports” were brush painted with Alkan grey/green BS:283.

50012164713_eb3fafbc5e_c.jpg

To create some wear and tear I used a sponge to dab Hobby Color H66 to the edges of the seat.

50012795236_d3ec40c4e7_c.jpg

50012264268_fbedd61df6_c.jpg

Then I dry-brushed Tamiya XF-57 buff to simulate more worn areas.

50013012236_31e9dc7f7c_c.jpg

50012482433_2fd8f2d03f_c.jpg

Once these had dried I gave it a coat of aqua gloss and then I used Tamiya dark brown panel liner to “dirty” the creases.

50015099953_0d9265cbb6_c.jpg

50015626841_90db758ce6_c.jpg

50015890537_795f3f4a64_c.jpg

That’s as far as I can go on the seat, well apart from giving it a matt coat, until Hannants receive the HGW seat harness, so more to come on this.

Next more detail painting for the cockpit.

until next time

as always, any suggestions, criticisms or comments will be gratefully received.

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

The seat looks great and I’m sure you’ll have ‘fun’ with the HGW harness.

John

thanks John

I'm not sure when the harness will arrive but I've heard that they can be a touch fiddly however they do look the part

rgds

John(shortCummins)

Hey John

You’re doing a great job on this mate I especially like what you’ve done with the seat, I just slapped mine together and slopped some paint on (oils for some obscure reason) I used the RB productions harness for mine as I’ve never been able to get satisfactory results using the HGW flavoured ones, but I’m sure you’ll be able to knock em into shape. 
Cheers buddy and keep up the good work

Iain

• Like 1

16 hours ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

Hey John

You’re doing a great job on this mate I especially like what you’ve done with the seat, I just slapped mine together and slopped some paint on (oils for some obscure reason) I used the RB productions harness for mine as I’ve never been able to get satisfactory results using the HGW flavoured ones, but I’m sure you’ll be able to knock em into shape. 
Cheers buddy and keep up the good work

Iain

thanks Iain

I've ordered a set of the RB harness, as a back-up that I'll use if the HGW don't turn up in time.

I like using oils for weathering, I'll be using them to "dirty up" the cockpit a little further down the line.

rgds

John(shortCummins)

50015890522_de23525524.jpg

Continuing with the “black boxes” I started by masking one off the side walls.

50019227461_491f1983ea_c.jpg

50019067618_7f0977aa1d_c.jpg

I also masked the oxygen bottle to better define the securing straps.

50019227496_717c3550fa_c.jpg

50019067628_bce6e61327_c.jpg

Then the “edges” of where the boxes join to the fuselage was tidied up.

50019167258_e55758151b_c.jpg

50019953607_81a6c9ec63_c.jpg

The bigger “black” boxes and grey green boxes were dry-brushed withTamiya XF-24 dark grey and XF-66 light grey…

50022818487_32ac86beaf_c.jpg

50022018178_a9306be174_c.jpg

50022818437_ac971c2687_c.jpg

I’ve used XF-24 to add some grime to the armoured plates, I’m assuming that the mechanic(?) who helped the pilot get ready would have left “greasy paw prints”

50022018128_ebdd4d6442_c.jpg

Here I’ve used XF-24 to show wear by the harness on the armour head rest.

50022559426_9698698ced_c.jpg

Next I’ll be building some of the sub-assemblies for the cockpit.

until next time

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 3

There’s a lot of individual painting to do in the cockpit, I remember that mine took ages. For the starboard side I invested in the Barracuda part and I also used their cockpit stencils, which made quite a difference to the overall appearance.

Stay safe.

John

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

There’s a lot of individual painting to do in the cockpit, I remember that mine took ages. For the starboard side I invested in the Barracuda part and I also used their cockpit stencils, which made quite a difference to the overall appearance.

Stay safe.

John

thanks for the tip John, I had looked at the Barracuda set however I didn't realise that it included stencils, I'd thought mainly about using the oxygen tube and decided that I could make one by wrapping thin wire around a thicker one.

I've ordered a set from Hannants however its not currently in stock so I may have to buy another 1/32 Spitfire 😜 (Tamiya's Mk.VIII looks very, very tempting)

rgds

John(shortCummins)

50022576846_223dcac1f4.jpg

The component parts of the control column were detail painted and assembled.

50026009171_d45465c1fd_c.jpg

I’ve stolen been inspired by (ex)Sgtrafman’s excellent build of the same kit…

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235075357-another-tamiya-132-spitfire-mk-ixc/&tab=comments#comment-3729956

…he’s set the control yoke slightly to one side, I liked the look so much I’ve unashamedly copied him, Iain I hope you don’t mind.

Column and support assembled.

50026269157_0cb11845a3_c.jpg

I’ve used some lead wire to simulate the control cables…

50025463573_12930fd58f_c.jpg

…which were given a coat of Alkan rubber black.

50025566063_1da526535b_c.jpg

I then fashioned a ‘clasp’ from Tamiya tape, cut to size on my Infini cutting mat, and CA/superglued in place…

50026370337_211d4643e2_c.jpg

…which was brush painted with mig acrylic metal color A.MIG-0191 steel

50026108656_4922161271_c.jpg

The rudder pedal sub-assembly will be attached later

50026309321_e4a29ef55b_c.jpg

The control column and IP bulkhead ‘dry fitted’

50026571222_a7371a1d79_c.jpg

I think that I’m going to swap the kit instrument panel for the Yahu version, when it arrives, that blue artificial horizon just doesn’t work for me.

Next even more work on the cockpit.

until next time

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 6

Hallo, your Spitfire:

Just to ask: Do you fly an a/c by yourself?

Well, why do I ask? You painted your cockpit so beautiful! I really do not assume at all, that the weathering inside was in real time that much!

It would confuse the pilot to a very high degree.

If you go to such a detail: Consider reading lamps and all kind of deviation placards! 

Standard deviation and a/c individual deviations. If you have no clue, so let me know!

Smart weathering shows a model much better, so do I think after being 3 decades a front line modeler with many exhibitions behind. It is a hint, not more.

Actually I build it also, some time ago. My error typing: IXc and not XIc.

Consider the assembly!

Happy modelling

• Thanks 1

I think the blue artificial horizon is artistic licence to show some fine detail. the problem is when you shrink everything down to 1/32 or 1/48 most detail disappears from the eye so they add it again by highlighting parts. I remember looking in the unrestored Martlet at the FAA museum and its all just black,... the white markings are so dull they would disappear reducing them down 32 times. ..This may sound odd but a guy near me has a restored 50's double decker bus with the separate cab and the interior of that is classic 1940's with the levers and switches and dials  all black steel fabricated. I think the modern restoration fraternity have a lot to answer for :) Most spitfire interiors look like a fully restored Aston martins not weapons of war with a life span of just hours mostly :)

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, dov said:

Hallo, your Spitfire:

Just to ask: Do you fly an a/c by yourself?

Well, why do I ask? You painted your cockpit so beautiful! I really do not assume at all, that the weathering inside was in real time that much!

It would confuse the pilot to a very high degree.

If you go to such a detail: Consider reading lamps and all kind of deviation placards! 

Standard deviation and a/c individual deviations. If you have no clue, so let me know!

Smart weathering shows a model much better, so do I think after being 3 decades a front line modeler with many exhibitions behind. It is a hint, not more.

Actually I build it also, some time ago. My error typing: IXc and not XIc.

Consider the assembly!

Happy modelling

thank you dov, I have flown different types of single engine "private" aircraft in the past, age and finances prevent me from doing this nowadays.

My intention was to add some weathering but not too much, getting the balance right will be the "trick".

I agree that too much "wear and tear" would be unlikely, especially around the instrument panel. However I think its 'realistic' or 'reasonable' for the seat to be worn, a pilot and his parachute would cause some rubbing/polishing as well as adding dust and dirt to the edges and corners of the seat?

I don't think that much paint would have been "chipped" off the fuselage, perhaps the cockpit entry would be more "scuffed"?, but some accumulated grime would/could have built up.

It will also depend on the age of the aircraft and how much "use" it's had.

My Spitfire, at least what I'm aiming for, will have seen a fair bit of action and therefor not "showroom" condition, just a wee bit "lived in"

best rgds

John(shortCummins) 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Spec7 said:

I think the blue artificial horizon is artistic licence to show some fine detail. the problem is when you shrink everything down to 1/32 or 1/48 most detail disappears from the eye so they add it again by highlighting parts. I remember looking in the unrestored Martlet at the FAA museum and its all just black,... the white markings are so dull they would disappear reducing them down 32 times. ..This may sound odd but a guy near me has a restored 50's double decker bus with the separate cab and the interior of that is classic 1940's with the levers and switches and dials  all black steel fabricated. I think the modern restoration fraternity have a lot to answer for :) Most spitfire interiors look like a fully restored Aston martins not weapons of war with a life span of just hours mostly :)

thanks Spec7

I've ordered a Yahu instrument panel and I'll do a 'side-by-side' comparison, the blue just looks wrong however I put a fair bit of work into painting the kit version, the coloured rings were tricky but at least I proved to myself that I can do it?

I "normally" build 1/48, 1/72 is far too small for my tired eyes, so the "bigger" scale allows me to try different things at a more reasonable size and this is a wonderful kit, I can see a Mk.VII in my future

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Dstream said:

Wow, first class details! It looks very realistic.

Greetings,

Daniele

many thanks Daniele

being a larger scale allows me to add bits and pieces easier than my "normal" 1/48 and I've really enjoyed researching the subject, a nice way to occupy myself during lock-down 😋

I'm really enjoying this build

best rgds

John(shortCummins)

Sorry John I might have mislead you, the Barracuda replacement starboard wall doesn’t come with decals, I bought those separately..

That control column looks splendid and I’m sure Iain won’t object.

John

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Sorry John I might have mislead you, the Barracuda replacement starboard wall doesn’t come with decals, I bought those separately..

That control column looks splendid and I’m sure Iain won’t object.

John

Hi John

You've not mislead me, although given half a chance I'll always take the wrong end of the stick 😜.

I'm guessing that you used this Barracuda side wall?

50032746831_dd5e26fffe_z.jpg

I'll use this as a "guide" for adding the plumbing.

whereas the stuff I've ordered is this...

50033006027_e767d71640.jpg

as you can see there's decals including replacement artificial horizon and direction indicator, as for the resin I'd be looking to use the oxygen hose although I've already worked out, in my head anyway, how to make one using wire wrapped around wire.

Barracuda also have this...

50032210038_fdb86c7d88.jpg

once again thanks for the advice and encouragement, it is much appreciated 👍

stay safe

rgds John(shortCummins)

Edited by shortCummins
spoiling mistook
  • Like 2

50026309251_f6a4b58575.jpg

On with the “weathering”. As dov pointed out, thanks dov it was a timely reminder, there is a potential danger of “over-weathering” the cockpit and therefor making it quite unrealistic. My aim is to make the aircraft look “lived in” not a “showroom” example nor an “after the apocalypse” version, it’s a fine line and something I try to achieve with every model, sometimes I get closer than others.

So far the “paint work” has been scuffed and dirtied with XF-24 dark grey and XF-66 light grey, now I want to add some “subtile” wear using these pencils…

50033085896_600803979f_c.jpg

The silver prismacolor is a fairly recent, last 5 or 6 years, addition while the ‘film marker’ is a relic from a former life, late 70’s to mid 80’s, when I worked with computers and microfilm, the film marker is a dark grey rather than black and gives a nice polished/worn dirty metal effect that I like.

Although using a pencil gives you (me) more control than brush and paint the main problem I have with it is that once you applied it you can’t really remove it, so you have to be sure where you want to add it or face the prospect of re-spraying the part.

Bearing this in mind here I’ve masked off the top of the slot where I don’t want to show any wear…

50032547038_987fbc7d9b_c.jpg

…and this is the result once the tape was removed.

50033085846_ec5704aa03_c.jpg

I think I’ve gone too far with the corner of this armour plate?

50033085811_620528c383_c.jpg

I’ll leave it for a day or so and see how I feel, at the moment I’m tempted to clean it off and start again, not a big deal but I’d prefer to “sleep on it” and decide later.

The fuselage walls have had some of the “edges” treated with the pencils, currently I’m thinking they needs a bit more work but I’ll probably wait until some of the other components are added and decide then.

50033343032_d5d8507880_c.jpg

50033343002_66fd8cfe14_c.jpg

50033085736_061ee6e045_c.jpg

50033085716_b853148cbd_c.jpg

50032546868_651b7e751e_c.jpg

50032546828_56b84aebfe_c.jpg

The areas where the pilots feet could have been I think there would be heavier wear and grime.

50032546808_1c56238845_c.jpg

Other components have been “dry-brushed” with the pencils to highlight the buttons and panel edges.

50033342887_0d271936aa_c.jpg

50033085566_427ef02dd0_c.jpg

50032546708_dd7c0fe274_c.jpg

This piece is currently my favourite however, this is such an excellent kit I’m sure something else will gob-smack me!

50033342827_f4959421e9_c.jpg

Next the I’ll be adding some of the plumbing.

until next time

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 5

50033085486_f289b1d28b.jpg

This is just a little indication of the well thought out engineering of this kit.

50057664426_c891aa3b8c_c.jpg

The location point is tapered ensuring that the modeller fits the part, in this case the radio selector, the correct way. If they had used a square or round location point then it would have been easy to fit the part incorrectly, this is a simple, elegant solution.

In order to fit the “plumbing” I first drilled small holes where I will super-glue (CA) the end of the wire.

50057911592_00684a9f63_c.jpg

A small pice of lead wire to represent the wire/conduit…

50057911557_2bfbb1c33e_c.jpg

…and with the fuselage side-wall and compressor tanks “dry-fitted”.

50057911547_ab66a31153_c.jpg

Additional wires added, I’ve also added some “generic” placards…

50057806316_a4880c0f9a_c.jpg

…and painted.

50058457222_1326ff7b20_c.jpg

Next I’ll be adding the plumbing to the other side of the cockpit.

until next time

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 6

Oooo missed this, this is fantastic, great paintwork and effects, I will tag along if I may, especially as you are about to add the plumbing. I am stalled on my 32nd Mk. Vb at this area do this will help give me the kick perhaps that I need.

Great work

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oooo missed this, this is fantastic, great paintwork and effects, I will tag along if I may, especially as you are about to add the plumbing. I am stalled on my 32nd Mk. Vb at this area do this will help give me the kick perhaps that I need.

Great work

All the best

Chris

thanks Chris
So far I'm really enjoying this build, I'm taking my time, probably over thinking everything but I'm really pleased with my efforts so far, still there's plenty of time to stuff it up 🤪

47 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

I see you chose to do the plumbing on the ‘ easier ‘ side first, I can’t say I blame you.  :whistle:

Looking good.

John

ha ha, you're correct, the other side has lots of dry-fitting and plumbing going around and over various bits'n'bobs that I don't want to permanently fix in place.

A good example is the oxygen tube, I can't find any photos but surely it must attach to the small oxygen tank behind the pilots seat? I'll make a tube longer than needed and perhaps just run it into the rear of the aircraft if I can't find "proof" of where it goes.

best rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shark444 said:

This is going to be a cracking Spit...

thank you Shark444, this is the most expensive kit I've bought and I've got to say that its, by some distance, the best kit I've built (so far). I 'saved up' for a couple of years to buy this kit and I'm already saving to buy either the Mk.VII or Mk.XVIe, the Mk.VII is favourite at the moment.

rgds

John(shortCummins)