Azur 1/72nd Koolhoven FK-58 C.1

Koolhoven FK-58 C.1 No.1, 3e Escadrille GR II/38 (SPA 54), Armée de l'Air, France, May 1940

49955007928_a31bc77c69_b.jpg

49955007823_e148e32280_b.jpg

49955794732_23550199bf_b.jpg

49955509996_d6c2c8146a_b.jpg

49955007273_8a006dbdfc_b.jpg

49955007108_8e6da94d60_b.jpg

49955007073_cc9a089ff0_b.jpg

49955794087_a2be4aa0b7_b.jpg

49955793957_4999682c6a_b.jpg

49955006733_839a8f1790_b.jpg

Frederik Koolhoven had worked as a designer with Britain's Armstrong-Whitworth during the Great War. In 1919, on returning to his native Holland, he set up an aircraft production company. Stiff competition from Fokker made Koolhoven concentrate on commercial airliners and sports trainer aircraft. In the mid-1930s, a concept for a low-wing interceptor was worked on. The design featured retractable undercarriage, and wooden fuselage structure and wings, with fabric covering the tubular steel framework at the rear. Armament of four FN 7.6mm machine guns was proposed to be carried in aerodynamic pods below the wings, outside the arc of the propeller. The prototype first flew, powered by a Hispano-Suiza 14a radial engine, in July 1938. Even though the FK-58 had a better performance than the contemporary Fokker DXXI, the Dutch air force declined the Koolhoven product.

France, with war looming, was in need of fighter aircraft. Although it had a thriving aircraft industry, political issues had meant production of homegrown types was often late and over budget. Orders had been made with Curtiss and Grumman in the USA, and the FK-58 was also an ideal candidate. Orders were placed for 50 aircraft, with the idea of using them for air defence in France's overseas colonial interests. A shortage of engines meant the order was split into two versions: one would be powered by a Gnome-Rhône 14N/39 radial, and the other continuing to use the Hispano-Suiza. In the end, probably only 17 aircraft were delivered to French service, all flown by Polish personnel in what was termed Patroulle de Protection, behind the front lines in mainland France.

Belatedly, just as war broke out, the Dutch air force decided to order the FK-58 to be powered by Bristol Mercury and Taurus engines. Holland was occupied by German forces before the order could be fulfilled. The Koolhoven factory was destroyed, along with all the planes then under construction and all the drawings. No FK-58s survived the war.

In my quest to build at least one example of each operational military aircraft in service with all powers engaged in the Western European theatre in 1940, I hadn't come across the FK-58 at all, especially not in relation to France. It was only while researching for adding to my collection of Dutch aircraft that the type cropped up. Imagine my surprise at discovering there was a kit! Azur has to be congratulated on producing a kit for a relatively obscure aircraft - and even producing two variants for the two engine types. This build is the Hispano-Suiza engined version. I don't think I will bother to add the Gnome-Rhône version, as they are visually almost identical. 

The kit is typical of Azur, moulded in mid-grey plastic, with fine engraved details. Photo etch and resin add details - the very fine undercarriage wheels with tread and embossed "DUNLOP" are a particular standout. The kit was rather let down by vague instructions, and the fit of some components was questionable, particularly around the undercarriage. However, considering the history of the type, lack of available research material and no extant airframes, the model turns out well enough. I'd like to claim this addition to my French air force collection completes the single-seater types, but I've been caught out like that before!

The model was completed by brush-painting ColourCoats enamels, airbrushed matt enamel varnish, and various weathering powders to add a little life. The kit transfers, by Aviprint, were excellent. 

Here's a link to the Wikipedia entry on the FK-58. You'll find links to other Koolhoven aircraft there, too. 

My ever-growing French WIP thread is here: the link takes you to the start of the FK-58 build.

• Like 35

3 minutes ago, CedB said:

Another beautiful build Heather, good job :) 

Cheers m'dear!

Just now, John Masters said:

Great build Heather.  I have always wanted to build a Koolhoven aircraft.  Yours is excellent.

Thanks John. Now you know there's a kit, what's stopping you? Special Hobby made an FK-51 trainer, too.

5 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

PS - any chance of a group shot of your French single seaters?

I stuck one in the WIP thread, but here it is again because why not. :)

49955229183_e346125d84_b.jpg

Let’s see if I can get them right (top left clockwise): Koolhoven FK-58, Dewoitine D.520, Curtiss Hawk H-75, Morane-Saulnier MS.420, Bloch MB.152, Caudron CR.714.

• Like 11

Hi Heather,

great build of a plane most French citizens don't even know ever existed... 

Well done for reminding us what the French air force had to make do with.

Congratulations! I love your model.

JR

47 minutes ago, jean said:

Well done for reminding us what the French air force had to make do with.

Well, they did try palming them off on the Poles and then onto the Finns.  I think that by the time they arrived, the French had a pretty good idea what use they would be.

Now for the Arsenal VG33 and the Bloch 155?

6 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Now for the Arsenal VG33 and the Bloch 155?

Mmm. The latter is really an also-ran. Is it different enough to the MB.152 I already have to warrant a model? I’ve ignored the 151 for similar reasons, though it was at least in service during the Battle of France. Perhaps, when my attention finally moves to the Mediterranean and North Africa, I can consider a 155 under Vichy colours.

The former, again, didn’t really see any operational use at all, prior to armistice - but then neither did the Koolhoven. I’ll have to read up some more and decide whether to add to my stash.

• Like 1

very tide and clean build, nice detailsm gun sight especialy. The FK 58 were I think rather new, so they should have such brand new, factory look.

Regards

W.

Edited by JWM

1 hour ago, Heather Kay said:

Is it different enough to the MB.152

The canopy is moved back and different cowling was installed, so the look is different maybe more that between Spit Mk I and Mk XiV... :) Few MB 155 were in use during 1940 campign AFAIR. I think have one profile in a book

Regards

J-W

Hello

I like your FK58 which was one very shy fighter of this period.

As Jerzy said you can add one of the very few MB 155 in your fantastic group and why not the Arsenal VG 33, which is also an Azur kit?

In Northern Africa some Dewoitine 510 remained in 1940.

Patrick

9 hours ago, JWM said:

very tide and clean build, nice detailsm gun sight especialy. The FK 58 were I think rather new, so they should have such brand new, factory look.

9 hours ago, JWM said:

The canopy is moved back and different cowling was installed, so the look is different maybe more that between Spit Mk I and Mk XiV... :) Few MB 155 were in use during 1940 campign AFAIR. I think have one profile in a book

Thanks JW. I shall add the 155 to my wish list I think. :like:

9 hours ago, Wulfman said:

Great build and presentation, a worthy addition to your lovely collection !

:) 

3 hours ago, VG 33 said:

As Jerzy said you can add one of the very few MB 155 in your fantastic group and why not the Arsenal VG 33, which is also an Azur kit?

In Northern Africa some Dewoitine 510 remained in 1940.

Patrick, you are kind and correct. Until now, I’ve concentrated my French efforts on the Battle of France. Claiming to want model "all of 1940", that means I’ve been ignoring the post armistice period, and that’s on purpose. I have a large stash of kits yet to build, and I’ve promised myself only two more new kits for 2020. I am, though, beginning to think about adding the Med and North Africa in time, which will let me build more interesting types. That would include Vichy France, Italy and some waifs and strays from the RAF, like Vildebeests and Wellesley! 

So, it might be a while, but I’m sure I’ll get around to MB155s, VG33s and D510s in time. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

Patrick, you are kind and correct. Until now, I’ve concentrated my French efforts on the Battle of France. Claiming to want model "all of 1940", that means I’ve been ignoring the post armistice period, and that’s on purpose. I have a large stash of kits yet to build, and I’ve promised myself only two more new kits for 2020. I am, though, beginning to think about adding the Med and North Africa in time, which will let me build more interesting types. That would include Vichy France, Italy and some waifs and strays from the RAF, like Vildebeests and Wellesley! 

So, it might be a while, but I’m sure I’ll get around to MB155s, VG33s and D510s in time. 

Heather

Actually at least one VG33 fought when defending South Western air bases and a couple of MB 155 fought in June 1940 before the armistice. Obviously the Dewoitine 510 were on strength in Morocco so far from the front line. 

Patrick

If you want combat types, then the CAO 200 fighter should be mentioned.  One made, one kill, by a pilot on a test flight.

No Vildebeests in the ME, and Wellesleys fought over East Africa until later on anti-sub patrols.  But East Africa gives you  wide range of rarer types.

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

If you want combat types, then the CAO 200 fighter should be mentioned.  One made, one kill, by a pilot on a test flight.

No Vildebeests in the ME, and Wellesleys fought over East Africa until later on anti-sub patrols.  But East Africa gives you  wide range of rarer types.

Where does one stop‽ :D My intention is only to model operational types, not prototypes even if they did accidentally score a kill!

Vildebeests and Wellesleys - well, that just shows I haven’t done any research into any other theatres yet. Give me time: I’m still trying to work out Norway, and wondering if I need to get Finland and Russia involved anywhere in my obsession!

There is no stopping. 

I can recommend Red Wings n the Winter War as a guide to the operations of every Soviet unit, with lots of photos and s fair few colour profiles.  Probably not for you, though, as there probably are cheaper guides, though it does include Finnish stuff.

Actually, if it's not too late, I can thoroughly recommend C J Ehrengardt's Camouflages et Marques de L'Aviation Francaise 1939-45, which is just what id says on the cover.  Photos, profiles, tables, and even a bit of text covering pretty well every aspect.  Wonderful book.  Obviously a fair bit of Vichy stuff, which was surprisingly varied.  In French, so full of difficult words such as fuselage, nacelle, couleur, etc.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

In French, so full of difficult words such as fuselage, nacelle, couleur, etc.

Remember that there are 3000 common words with the same meaning and spelling in French and English. 😇

Patrick

I have these two soft-covered books. There is history and some photos and profiles. Not a bad selection for my collection.

49961857466_01405e51fb_b.jpg

49961857491_44d0c6313d_b.jpg

49962140602_4c72cf05de_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's a lovely build heather and love the photo of the collection of French fighters. I think you're going to inspire a lot more French liveried aircraft to be built. Like the idea of doing all aircraft from 1940 too, keep up the great work :)

11 hours ago, VG 33 said:

Remember that there are 3000 common words with the same meaning and spelling in French and English. 😇

Patrick

ah, but it is the "faux amis"/false friends that look the same but have different meanings that spoil things.  However not many crop up in aviation texts.  

Story time.  After the invasion of Southern France, RAF and French B-26 units were sharing an airfield.  The French unit was posted home, to their great joy and a scrambling to get as many aircraft as possible serviceable.  The British senior NCO reported indignantly to his officer: "these French are demanding spare parts, they can't do that can they!"  Demander = to ask.  They got their parts.  Someone else will have to tell me what the French is for "to demand".