Help! Really Confused about Varnishes!

Orin

Hello All! 

I am posting as I could really do with some advice from the experts!

Essentially I am currently trying to improve my modelling, and have decided to try and use a pin wash to highlight the panel lines in the aircraft I am currently making. Before this is done I have read that you should coat the model with a gloss varnish in order to allow the wash to flow better over the model’s surface.

I have therefore been looking into buying a gloss varnish, but have been stunned by the variety on offer and am really confused as to the difference between them all. I really don't want to end up using a varnish which will melt away either my paint work or the decals.

My model is painted predominantly with Humbrol enamel paints, with some acrylic paint used on the landing gear. I was hoping to use an oil based wash to highlight the panel lines, which I would neaten up with a cotton bud dipped in white spirit (although I am open to advice on this front if you think a water based wash would be better?).

Therefore what gloss varnish would you recommend? Should I look to get Enamel or Acrylic Varnish? Also which brands are best, as I have heard that some varnishes tend to go cloudy or yellow over time?

Finally, although I need the gloss coat for applying washes I would like to have a matt finish to the aircraft. Therefore, which matt varnishes would you recommend for sealing the wash and decals and finishing off the aircraft?

Thank you in advance!

Edited by Orin

Brush or airbrush? Do you have problems with smells?

If you want to use a water-based wash, your clear coat should be enamel or lacquer. If you want to use oil, then go with water based or lacquer clear.

If you brush paint, then some sort of self-levelling clear (or Klear) is a better option, followed by an oil wash. Then seal it with a water base matt clear of choice.

There are multiple choices, depending where you live, regarding the current mail order situation.

Hi Dragon Lance, Thank you for your reply!

I am brush painting. I have no problem with smells.

So as I have painted mainly with enamels and plan to do an oil based wash, should I use an acrylic gloss varnish? Do you have any recommendations as to the type or brand?

Also, is it safe to use the acrylic varnish over areas of the model which I have painted with acrylic paint such as the landing gear? 

11 minutes ago, Orin said:

So as I have painted mainly with enamels and plan to do an oil based wash, should I use an acrylic gloss varnish? Do you have any recommendations as to the type or brand?

Depends what is available to you. Yes, use a gloss acrylic, if you use an enamel the solvents will can attack the oil based varnish.

For an oil wash,  white spirit is oily gunk, for a really thin wash, try zippo type lighter fuel.  Sounds like you are trying a new technique, so experiment on something first.

I use artists oils, black is too dark,  a mix of burnt umber and black works well,  though you can make a wash out of enamels, and you can thin those with lighter fuel as well. It also makes it dry really fast.

On 31/05/2020 at 12:23, Orin said:

Therefore, which matt varnishes would you recommend for sealing the wash and decals and finishing off the aircraft?

Winsor and Newton Galeria has worked well, its acrylic.  A flat brush helps, as can a little water if a bit thick.

11 minutes ago, Orin said:

Also, is it safe to use the acrylic varnish over areas of the model which I have painted with acrylic paint such as the landing

Yes

Have a look at these, acrylic gloss, oil wash with lighter fuel, W&N Galeria, final weathering on matt coat

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235052380-hurricane-airfix-72nd-fabric-wing-mki-oob/

With washes and weathering, go easy, and refer to photos of the real thing, NOT other models! 

HTH

Thank you Troy, this is really helpful!

2 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Yes, use a gloss acrylic, if you use an enamel the solvents will can attack the oil based varnish.

I've done some googling and found this Winsor and Newton Galeria gloss varnish - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Winsor-Newton-Galeria-Acrylic-Varnish/dp/B001HJN0GY. Do you think this would work as a base coat before applying oil based washes?

Also Winsor and Newton Galeria make this Matt varnish - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Winsor-Newton-Galeria-Acrylic-Varnish/dp/B001HJLB1AWould this work to finish the model and seal in the wash?

Thank you for your help! As a noobie it is much appreciated :)

29 minutes ago, Orin said:

Thank you Troy, this is really helpful!

I've done some googling and found this Winsor and Newton Galeria gloss varnish - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Winsor-Newton-Galeria-Acrylic-Varnish/dp/B001HJN0GY. Do you think this would work as a base coat before applying oil based washes?

Also Winsor and Newton Galeria make this Matt varnish - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Winsor-Newton-Galeria-Acrylic-Varnish/dp/B001HJLB1AWould this work to finish the model and seal in the wash?

Thank you for your help! As a noobie it is much appreciated :)

I can't see why the W&N Gloss would not work, in the build link  I applied neat oils over the W&N matt Galeria, and then streaked it with lighter fuel, with no problem.  

I have not tried the gloss, so cannot guarantee this. 

Always worth trying out on scrap first.

My gloss coat was Klear, no longer available, but it was sold as a floor finish, but is basically a self levelling acrylic varnish, that is really tough, being meant for floors.

the nearest  it seems is Lakeland Quick Shine,  which is a big bottle, 800 ml

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/20286/Quick-Shine-Floor-Finish

see 

Note, If you have both the W&N gloss and matt, you can intermix to make satin or semi gloss as well.   

the Galeria I found was not dead flat though, fine for most planes though, as they are not dead flat matt unless really weathered. 

W&N and Klear are probably intermixable but not tried so cannot guarantee, though the W&N went over Klear with no issues.

As with anything new, test on scrap first. 

cheers

T

• Thanks 1

Thanks Troy, you've been really helpful!

I'll have a go with the W&N matt and gloss varnishes and post the results! Will try on a scrap kit first and then apply it to my current model.