Airfix Dornier 17.

Morning folks at the risk of re-visiting every kit I built as a kid I had to do one more which I remember not for any other reason that I built all the German bomber's

during those year's,Since I started the GB I've kept an eye out for one in good condition with usable decals at a decent price and the Do17 ticked all the boxes at

a reasonable £12.So this one joins the cue for later if all works to plan.This is the very boxing AND it's in blue plastic!

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/airfix-a04014-dornier-do17-e-f--109379

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 2

A word of warning, having discovered this on a Humbrol period boxing I bashed into a 17P - watch the transparencies. The nose dome part can sometimes be short shot and missing a chunk. I ended up forking out for a Falcon vac-form set to sort it out.

Otherwise, looking forward to seeing what you do with the kit. :thumbsup:

5 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

A word of warning, having discovered this on a Humbrol period boxing I bashed into a 17P - watch the transparencies. The nose dome part can sometimes be short shot and missing a chunk. I ended up forking out for a Falcon vac-form set to sort it out.

Otherwise, looking forward to seeing what you do with the kit. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the heads up Heather I'll check when it arrives.

Damn it Steve you've done it again!  I don't actually remember building this one as a kid but would be very surprised if I didn't as I really like the old "flying pencil". I have been watching a few on a certain internet auction site and was going to bid but then got distracted and bid on something else, a not uncommon occurrence, but if that bid falls through I'll be after a Do-17, so I will have to follow yours very closely to see what possible issues my lie ahead other than the nose glazing which Heather has kindly pointed out.

• Like 1

Hi Steve,

I still have mine though it is due for a refurbishment - I built it during the "anti sniffing glue" days, and it never really held the kit together, but I believe I have all the bits. I will probably have to make my own undercarriage though! Early 4 colour camo again like the Hs123? Perhaps a pity Airfix did not mould it as one of the slightly later versions so it could be a photo recce job at the start of WWII, but this one with the inline engines is I guess the true "Flying Pencil". No wonder Lufthansa turned it down as a fast mailplane - seems you had to be a gymnast/contortionist to get into the few passenger seats it had!

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PeterB said:

4 colour camo again like the Hs123?

Hi Pete,yes both schemes are for pre-Battle of France aircraft.

• Like 1

Hi folk's,kit arrived in lovely blue plastic all well including the glazing,there's a broken prop which the seller pointed out and is an easy fix.Decal's as 

can be expected a bit poor but I'll let the sun get at them it'll be a while before I get a start.

20200608_192702

• Like 12

Hi Steve,

I have one of these in bits waiting to be refurbished so I will watch with interest to see where all the bits should go. Must try and find a copy of the instructions!

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Hi Steve,

I have one of these in bits waiting to be refurbished so I will watch with interest to see where all the bits should go. Must try and find a copy of the instructions!

Cheers

Pete

I'll send these to you Pete if you can hang on till completion or I can copy them.

1 hour ago, PeterB said:

Thanks Steve,

I have noticed Scalemates have one so I will download it. 

Cheers

Pete

I just saw that feature last night while trying to get a bit more info on a set of F-104G/S decals.  So handy.

• Like 1

I've built this beauty a few times over the years, most recently for Humbrol when they were planning to release it again and wanted to check the mould was still OK, which it was. 

I remember being very impressed by the tyres when I was young, they had tread 😀

This kit came out either the same year or very close to the Marauder and they show a completely different philosophy of kit design. This one is fairly simple with basic detail and no moving parts whereas the Marauder has a reasonably detailed interior with a full bomb load and moving control surfaces. 

Both were in Series 4, so were the same price. 

John 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, John said:

completely different philosophy of kit design

True, but each one is a lovely kit in its own contrasting way and shows a Airfix at the top of its game.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 4

Afternoon folk's,started the Dornier and hit trouble with the engine assembly,the upper/lower wings fitted a treat and once the seams were smoothed

off the engine halves were joined sanded and fitted,well one did perfectly the other a nightmare,persevered and now sorted just leaving to dry now then

it'll need filler.As you can see the nearest engine was the troubled one.

20200614_170614

• Like 5

Hi Steve,

I too seem to rember problems with the engines, but that was the first time I had used the new "anti sniffing" plastic cement. Smelled nice but would not stick the parts together!

Pete

32 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Hi Steve,

I too seem to rember problems with the engines, but that was the first time I had used the new "anti sniffing" plastic cement. Smelled nice but would not stick the parts together!

Pete

Hi Pete,all sorted now more down to the shape of the engines on this variant,the fuselage is joined now and drying.The tail unit fitted a treat but the

main wing looks like a bit of trimming etc.

• Like 3

Morning folk's after a day to dry, out with the wet'n dry and once the seams were cleaned up the wing and tail assemblies added.

20200617_103719

• Like 4

Evening folk's,three coats of gray for the upper finish applied might need one more tomorrow,as you may guess this one is in the gray/green/brown

early splinter scheme with the red band and white circled swastika,as I have a Monogram and Frog later versions  for the BoB  GB which will be in the

green scheme.

20200618_204722 (1)

• Like 7