Ambush in the afternoon

After the initial Airborne and Seaborne invasion, the Allies got bogged down fighting in the Normandy countryside. The bocarge that the Allies faced favoured the defender, the way the fields were laid out with high banks, hedges covered with trees. Enemy and Allies were operating either side of hedges some times without even knowing.

Stuff used:

Tasca: Sherman 

Treemendus: Tree kit, Senic kit

Miniart: British Tank riders

Dragon: various German figures

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 27

An excellent rendition which really captures the enclosed environment of the Bocage in which the war was being fought immediately after D Day, it creates a quite uneasy feeling where the viewer knows what's going to happen next.

3 hours ago, Clogged said:

Fantastic!  Very atmospheric. On hindsight if I was the commander I would have had foot patrols out in front!

Not second guessing @Ozzy's diorama I don't think you would necessarily target the vehicle at the head of column first in an ambush so the foot patrols may be out of sight to the left.

Edited by Richard E
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Clogged said:

Fantastic!  Very atmospheric. On hindsight if I was the commander I would have had foot patrols out in front!

Thanks Clogged,

Initially I thought about having the Tamiya British Soldiers on patrol set walking the tank through, but with all good plans I couldn't find a set. Then thought as they advance to contact the troops on the back would dismount and fight through.

1 hour ago, Richard E said:

An excellent rendition which really captures the enclosed environment of the Bocage in which the war was being fought immediately after D Day creates a quite uneasy feeling where the viewer knows what's going to happen next.

Not second guessing @Ozzy's diorama I don't think you would necessarily target the vehicle at the head of column first in an ambush so the foot patrols may be out of sight to the left.

Thanks Richard,

its quite spine tingling how the countryside favoured the defenders, as you mentioned about the first vehicle going through. Definitely as taking out the second of even third, during a well co ordinated ambush should cause maximum confusion amongst the remaining tanks. With the tightness of the tracks means the remaining tanks can't fan out to clear through, easy pickings for other anti tank teams.

• Like 1

Brilliantly done. One can almost feel the tension that must have been present on both sides in such a situation.

Gerry

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GerryW said:

Brilliantly done. One can almost feel the tension that must have been present on both sides in such a situation.

Gerry

Thanks Gerry,

Just the effect I was hoping to portray, used some different materials during the build and built my first ever trees.

1 hour ago, desert falcon said:

Outstanding work 👍

Thanks desert falcon,

im really pleased with the way it's turned out.

• Like 1

Hi Ozzy. You have captured the atmosphere superbly! Great looking scene really setting off your Firefly! Very well done. :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Ozzy. You have captured the atmosphere superbly! Great looking scene really setting off your Firefly! Very well done. :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix,

it was nice to build without a deadline, I enjoyed using new materials and learning new techniques.

7 hours ago, Red Five said:

Very nice.....where'd you get the firefly from. Desperate to get my hands on one. 

Thanks Red Five,

I had it on the shelf for a few years, I picked it up from a model show. The TASCA kits have now been re boxed by Auska, you should be able to pick them up on line. They do a very wide range of Sherman’s, there are Dragon that also do IC and VC Sherman’s and RFM have just released a Sherman VC.

• Thanks 1

Hi Clive,

It started well and just got better and better. A fantastic job.  As I said, it's a diorama that offers many atmospheric views.  Love all the vegetation. 

TC

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

On 05/06/2020 at 17:09, Badder said:

Hi Clive,

It started well and just got better and better. A fantastic job.  As I said, it's a diorama that offers many atmospheric views.  Love all the vegetation. 

TC

Rearguards,

Badder

Thanks Badder,

i really enjoyed doing the ground work, using the teddy bear fur was interesting. I think I cleared out the local shops parsley stocks.

• Haha 1

On 07/06/2020 at 03:33, Natter said:

Someone is about to have their day ruined!

Thanks Dave,

they defiantly will, not sure who will come off worse.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 30/11/2020 at 10:16, Homer said:

Excellent piece of modelling, congratulations 👏 

On 02/12/2020 at 16:14, F-32 said:

Very clever build, I really like that

Guys,

thanks for your comments, it was a joy to build not having to work to a deadline. I’m looking forward to using more teddy bear fur in the future.