RNZAF F4U-1, Gaudalcanal, 1944, old Heller kit

I tell you, these GeeBees just keep on coming and I keep on jumping in.  Here we go again...I am almost finished with a Spitfire over in one GB (and may begin another soon enough!) so why not start a Corsair over here?  I am waiting to build a French/Suez bird, and while I wait, I'll take care of this very shark-like looking F4U-1...

Here's some pictures...

49954275898_5ae216aa5e_h_d.jpg

Decals look alright.  Even some stencils in there...

49955060922_95f6d983fc_c_d.jpg

Sprue is acceptable and very much Heller/SMER...

49954777251_f40e599f67_c_d.jpg

Even the canopy pieces look good.  

49954275813_9b55692e01_c_d.jpg

This will be completely OOB, with no messing about with a cockpit innards, etc...ok, maybe some harness bits from tape but I have draw the line there! 

--John

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, Silver Fox said:

way off in colour.

Yes, thanks Mr. Fox...I took one look and came to the same conclusion. Still, OOB means OOB to me! 😉

I will not lose any sleep over this.  😁

Hi John, re the decals, as you may know, Smer use Propagteam decals which are generally beautifully printed but as thin as a thin thing & can roll into a ball with acrobatic ease, I definitely recommend liquid decal film or similar to give them some more guts. Be especially wary of the fuel tank tapes decal, there is a reason my Smer Corsair doesn't have one. :D I ended up using some old Frog, RNZAF decals & using that scheme in the end. The colour of the Frog decals is pretty much spot on. Not trying to put pressure on, but if you had some lying around........

Steve.

OK...some parts assembled.  I guess OOB is Out of the Question on this one.  The Twin-Wasp, for example, is barely recognizable.  And there is little cockpit interior personality either.  

Here are some progress pics...

49960272148_1dd5911e12_c_d.jpg

Something had to be done.  So I did all of this, but just on the front Wasp.  It will be the only visible part.

49960768866_87e98accaf_c_d.jpg

49961052152_7933857af0_c_d.jpg

49960271763_cf8bb2a9ce_c_d.jpg

The 'cockpit'.  This will get a makeover too.  More research needed.

49960272213_6b02fe00f4_c_d.jpg

49960768896_7016951cbd_c_d.jpg

I started the wings.  the cooling vents needed a bit of thinning to fit into their slots.

49960768751_a9ac85bc9d_c_d.jpg

The outer wing halves were not a problem.

49960768686_05c0d88363_c_d.jpg

And I leave it there for the night.

--John

• Like 11

I couldn't leave well enough alone...

Updated cockpit.  It'll look better once it is all painted up.  From what I have seen and read, the late war interiors was Zinc Chromate Green and the consoles/instrument panel was anti-reflective black.  The PE harness is leftover from the Eduard Spitfire.  I drilled the lightening holes in the bulkhead too.  New stick, pedals...Hmmm...

49960700538_247910b4a0_c_d.jpg

Now...how about these?  What can I do to fix this?  What are the three round things?  Are they lights?

49961485062_aa7f73582c_c_d.jpg

I guess I should look at the wheels wells too and see what can be done about them...😁

--John

• Like 5

On 5/31/2020 at 1:07 PM, stevehnz said:

Not trying to put pressure on, but if you had some lying around........

I think what I might try to do is tone down the brightness of the blue with some kind of wash.  It'll have to go on after the decal is in place, etc...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John Masters said:

What are the three round things?  Are they lights?

49961485062_aa7f73582c_c_d.jpg

I guess I should look at the wheels wells too and see what can be done about them...😁

Backfire collectors for the R-2800. The IFF lights are out on the wing.

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Backfire collectors for the R-2800.

That is a term that paints all sort of bizarre mental pictures for me, like, did they collect them & store them to be released over the enemy as an extra sound effect? ;) :D Yeah nah. :( Do you know how these worked Dennis?

Steve.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

That is a term that paints all sort of bizarre mental pictures for me, like, did they collect them & store them to be released over the enemy as an extra sound effect? ;) :D Yeah nah. :( Do you know how these worked Dennis?

Steve.

Going back into the very Dark recesses of my brain to my A&P training. I think it has to do when the engine is being run too Rich and there  is unburnt fuel vapor in the exhaust. I think its collected in these and it would therefore ignite down and away from the plane rather than start a fire in the exhaust pipes. 

https://youtu.be/jAp5vYLdWZU

There is a Backfire just at the end of start-up in the video. You can see the flame shoot straight down. Could be the exhaust pipes but looks line its dead center. 

This is a great link explaining startup in Radial engines. 

https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=765193

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, John Masters said:

OK...some parts assembled.  I guess OOB is Out of the Question on this one.  The Twin-Wasp, for example, is barely recognizable.  And there is little cockpit interior personality either.  

49960271763_cf8bb2a9ce_c_d.jpg

And I leave it there for the night.

--John

Nicely done on the engine John, I did something similar to that when I built my one of these for a GB on ARCAir some 6 years ago now, you're going further than I did then so I'm keen to see how this comes up, as a kit I was not that impressed, poor detail, the engine & poor location on many parts, the wings to centre section being one of the worst from memory. I think I was lured by the art work on the front of the Smer box, like the Mustang I've just done. It was a stinker too. :(

Steve.

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

start-up in the video

That's very helpful--thank you Dennis.  So these are open holes or exhaust pipes of some kind?  I'll be sure to add some smoke weathering there...

2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

the wings to centre section being one of the worst from memory

Thank you Steve.  I have read about this with this kit.  I think the design is there to "facilitate" folding them up.  I won't be doing that on this aircraft.  

10 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Cockpit looks much improved

Yes...I agree.  I might be able to leave it open if it looks alright.  

• Like 2

This morning before I went to work I did this...

49962925346_bb54980de8_c_d.jpg

And this...

49962422758_13bffb072d_c_d.jpg

And primed all of these...

49962422698_22169de226_c_d.jpg

So that when I came back from work an hour ago, I was able to do this...

49963208047_195e125b1e_c_d.jpg

And I started in on the wheel wells too...just copying stuff I have seen others do!

49963207857_22e5c1afe9_c_d.jpg

I'll get out the airbrush later and do the zinc chromate for the interior/cockpit, etc...The wheel wells will be the same colour as the underside so that is later.

--John

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Col. said:

Tidy start in there John :) 

Thanks Col!

8 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Very nice work it is too.

Thanks MM.  This is a good fundamental kit and begs for some additional parts.

This is what i did last night...

49966168147_e53cb4f9ed_c_d.jpg

Then into the fuselage half it went...

49965386183_1e12a14713_c_d.jpg

And a very easy job closing it up!  No problems there.

49965890116_d99a137681_c_d.jpg

Next up...the wings!

-John

• Like 6