"Ar-En-Zed-Eh-Eff" Corsair

Thanks for the encouragement everybody!

14 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

With regards to weathering the Roundels, take a look at this Angry Duck Corsair in the

below photo link - Corsair is heavily weathered, but Roundels not so much

RNZAF Corsair NZ5255

The SU's (Servicing Units) who "Owned" the aircraft, liked to keep the Roundels,

in reasonably good nick, Pride in their work for one, Safety for Aircraft/crew the other

Excellent I'll just give them a matt coat, thanks again for providing RNZAF insights Alan, great stuff as always.

The RNZAF wing roundels are much larger than the USN/USMC ones and looking at pics, it seems the larger decals are correct, however they also cover almost all the ammo cans throwing a twist into my plan to mis-match some of them.

I did find some pics showing mismatched ammo cans under the roundels though:

This one looks like it has two 'lower right' corners so to speak.

This one looks like it has two covers that are in the regular top coat color over one of the roundels.

This one is at an angle, but it looks like some mismatches there too.

I know Fundekals does an entire sheet on mismatched USN ammo cans, so there is a precedent.

What do you think Alan? I really want a salmon ammo can.

9 hours ago, giemme said:

Alan @LDSModeller does have a good point, Cookie. I would anyway knock off the shine form those decals with a bit of desaturation. Still, impeccable decal posing :clap:

Yeah, I'll definitely put a few matt coats on them, and see how it matches the reference pic that Alan posted.

4 hours ago, modelling minion said:

The colours look much better on your decals than they do on some other sheets.

The proper RNZAF roundels come from an Xtradecals sheet - the EagleCals sheet had them too light.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

The RNZAF wing roundels are much larger than the USN/USMC ones and looking at pics, it seems the larger decals are correct, however they also cover almost all the ammo cans throwing a twist into my plan to mis-match some of them.

I did find some pics showing mismatched ammo cans under the roundels though:

This one looks like it has two 'lower right' corners so to speak.

This one looks like it has two covers that are in the regular top coat color over one of the roundels.

This one is at an angle, but it looks like some mismatches there too.

I know Fundekals does an entire sheet on mismatched USN ammo cans, so there is a precedent.

What do you think Alan? I really want a salmon ammo can.

Hi Cookie,

The RNZAF Roundel was placed over the US Star.

If you look at the photo below of New RNZAF Corsairs, note the US Star/bar on the two Corsairs wings,

they are in two different positions, which may explain why the Roundel sits over the Ammo cans in some photos

RNZAF+F4u-1+Corsairs+New+copy.jpg

RNZAF Official (used with permissions)

I read some Muppet's Build in a model magazine when the Tamiya Corsair came out who stated quite "Authoritatively"

that the RNZAF liked to place the Roundels outboard, as we say here in EnZed "Yeah Nah"

From What I have read, maximum US Roundel size was 60 Inches, so in 1/48 would be 31.75mm.

The other thing is, that according to Technical Specs, the Roundels were to cover only 80-90%

of the available wing width tangent to the ailerons which look about right for the above photo.

I don't know what the XtraDecals size is?

These are RNZAF Corsairs being serviced, note the Roundel size

RNZAF+F4U+with+flaps+up+copy.jpg

(RNZAF Official - used with Permissions)

The only thing, is that I may have confused you with the Ammo boxes. The actual tops were the wing colour

the sides/lowers area were the Salmon Red etc

Regards

Alan

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 6/12/2020 at 1:28 AM, LDSModeller said:

The RNZAF Roundel was placed over the US Star.

If you look at the photo below of New RNZAF Corsairs, note the US Star/bar on the two Corsairs wings,

they are in two different positions, which may explain why the Roundel sits over the Ammo cans in some photos

The only thing, is that I may have confused you with the Ammo boxes. The actual tops were the wing colour

the sides/lowers area were the Salmon Red etc

Thank you Alan, and thank you for your willingness to spend so much time answering my questions. I think the Xtradecal roundels may be a tad large, but seem to match the reference pics pretty well on how much space they take up between the leading edge of the ailerons an leading edge of the wing, so I can't complain. I'll go ahead and follow the reference pics and mix up a few ammo boxes under the roundels, but no salmon on the tops, got it.

On 6/12/2020 at 6:20 AM, Tempestwulf said:

As a proud kiwi who loves his WWII national insignia I must say...*whispers* do eet mate!

OK, with your permission then Tempestwulf! The absolute last thing I want to do is cause any offense.

Here's a USN Corsair I built a few years ago, showing that my obsession with mismatched ammo boxes is not limited to Corsairs from the Southern Hemisphere.

20200612_175132

23 hours ago, rob85 said:

Looks stunning with those decals on! Very nice work!

Thanks Rob!

On 6/12/2020 at 12:56 AM, modelling minion said:

I like the look of the mis-matched ammo cans, certainly makes for a different looking model.

It comes from staring at too many reference photos. Most people actually read the text in the books, I just stare at the pictures!

I cut up some the EagleCals roundels or the 'bar' portion anyway, and mismatched a few ammo boxes.

20200612_175039

'48' basking in the sun after receiving a few coats of matt varnish.

20200613_101939

Yellow tips applied to the prop, and I painted the white on the undersides of the elevators, because I forgot to earlier.

20200613_105921

Props painted black and you can see I'm using the 'tiny brush and toothpick cleanup' technique on the canopy.

20200613_121706

And a bonus two-tone inner cowl for another Corsair project.

Masking off an ammo can for the regular surface colour.

20200613_124016

20200613_124657

• Like 14

Hi Cookie, your model is looking good, I like the mix and match

style of the ammo boxes.

knowing how some Service Personnel think, they probably did that to

mess with the pilot (in a good way) :thumbsup:

Found these on a Kiwi Forum I belong to, might be of interest to you

(Ex RNZAF)

RNZAF Corsair Ammmo boxes

This photo, does show mix and match, but also has some letters

on the ammo box tops that might also interest you?

RNZAF F4U Corsair Ammo boxes

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Cookie. Hope you are keeping well and WOW!! Now that is some really impressive modelling in 1/72!! Awesome all round!! :worthy:

Take care and stay well.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/13/2020 at 1:42 PM, giemme said:

This is looking soooo good, Cookie! :worthy: :clap: I have to say the dull coat on the roundels worked just perfect!

Thanks Giorgio!

23 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

Hi Cookie, your model is looking good, I like the mix and match

style of the ammo boxes.

knowing how some Service Personnel think, they probably did that to

mess with the pilot (in a good way) :thumbsup:

Found these on a Kiwi Forum I belong to, might be of interest to you

(Ex RNZAF)

RNZAF Corsair Ammmo boxes

This photo, does show mix and match, but also has some letters

on the ammo box tops that might also interest you?

RNZAF F4U Corsair Ammo boxes

I'm so glad you approve Alan!

Thanks for the reference pics of the ammo boxes. I've seen some with numbers, but not letters. Apparently there were four types on each aircraft:

1. Outer rear left x 1

2. Rest of the Left x 5

3. Outer rear right x 1

4. Rest of the Right x 5

The 'mismatches' could only occur among the five right, or the five left. I think I got that right, but, as always, am quite willing to be corrected.

That's probably the clearest picture I've ever seen of what salmon primer looks like - filing that away, thanks Alan.

19 hours ago, CedB said:

Superb Cookie, just superb :) 

Thank you Ced!

19 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Looks fantastic Cookie, the mismatching really does add extra interest to what is already a great looking model.

Thanks for the encouragement throughout Craig.

10 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Cookie. Hope you are keeping well and WOW!! Now that is some really impressive modelling in 1/72!! Awesome all round!! :worthy:

Take care and stay well.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix, I really enjoyed your return to Spitfires. You and yours stay well too.

I did a little weathering with poster paints today.

20200614_174300

20200614_174340

Almost time for the landing gear.

• Like 12

On 6/14/2020 at 11:57 PM, modelling minion said:

I like the weathering Cookie, particularly the undersides.

On 6/15/2020 at 2:01 AM, rob85 said:

She’s looking beautiful, really love the weathering.

On 6/15/2020 at 2:16 AM, CedB said:

Adding my praise for the weathering Cookie - great job :) 

On 6/15/2020 at 5:46 AM, giemme said:

Poster paints? What are those please, Cookie?

Lovely weathering, BTW :clap:

Thanks everybody, the weathering is just water based craft paint - dang I forgot to take a pic of the pots - but they're just the cheap ones we used as school kids. You can thin them with water and mix them to any colour you want. And if it all goes wrong, just wipe them off and start again. Of course this also means that they will always be susceptible to water. I've never tried to varnish over them, but I'm pretty sure you'd just end up with a mess.

On 6/15/2020 at 12:39 AM, Tempestwulf said:

Love the mismatched ammo box covers. You need something to stand out in an otherwise balanced scheme. Almost gives it that digital camo feel.

I never thought of that, but it is kinda digital looking! Thanks Tempestwulf.

On 6/15/2020 at 2:20 AM, Graeme H said:

This is coming along so well, it's awe inspiring.

On 6/15/2020 at 5:49 AM, John Laidlaw said:

It's getting more superber* every time!

* Yeah, I've run out of real superlatives.

1 hour ago, John Masters said:

Really superb.  The weathering is excellent and the attention to detail regarding the markings is outstanding.

Thanks Graeme, John and John, much too kind.

Time for all the little tasks at the end of a build that always take way more time than you expect.

From the looks of the reference pic, it seems like '48' had the 'half' tail wheel gear doors, with the aft section permanently closed and tailhook removed. I cut the doors in half and glued the aft halves in place. Easier said than done, clean up required.

20200616_193835

Gears attached.

20200616_203113

Rest of the doors attached and weathered.

20200616_211301

20200616_212602

• Like 12

18 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

I don't know Cookie they look like standard doors and the hook has been removed a common mod in the Solomon Island and Marine operations. Then again I'm not the Kiwi corsair expert, I guess its possible they did these mods  but Alan @LDSModeller might be able to confirm. 

• Like 1