"Ar-En-Zed-Eh-Eff" Corsair

I've been dreaming of building an RNZAF Corsair for a long time, and it looks like I'm in good company in this STGB.

Here's the kit:

20200530_113808

And here are the transfers:

20200530_210357

I have some Xtradecal RNZAF roundels to replace the ones included in the above set, as I don't think these match the actual roundel blue used according to @LDSModeller. I'm not dead set on this particular aircraft, but I definitely want to do an operational tri (quad) color scheme.

Primed and airbrushed some of the interior today to make the start official.

20200530_121323

Thanks @Corsairfoxfouruncle for organizing this STGB.

• Like 11

57 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

I have some Xtradecal RNZAF roundels to replace the ones included in the above set, as I don't think these match the actual roundel blue used according to @LDSModeller. I'm not dead set on this particular aircraft, but I definitely want to do an operational tri (quad) color scheme.

33 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Great choice and I hope Alan will confirm but Im not sure if the roundels are dark enough Cookie ?

Some years ago when Eagle Cal first showed these decals (on another Modelling website) I and Pete Mossong

both voiced our comments on the wrong colours for the RNZAF Roundel,

The SAGE (Self Appointed Guru Expert) who supplied Eagle Cal the information, obviously not liking being, called

out on his information made the rather stupid comment, RNZAF Roundels are very convoluted anyway. :fool:

The Xtradecals (RNZAF), we Kiwis had some input, and Xtradecals actually listened - the colours are pretty good

To top it all off, earlier this year I saw WWII RNZAF Roundels on a former RNZAF Aircraft that had been in

storage for some 50-60 years, and the colour was a Magnificent Dark Blue, even when showing

some fading, the colour was still a dark blue - nothing like Eagle Cal's Expert portrayed

Kind regards

Alan

Edit - PS Cookie, I almost forgot, great subject choice, I look forward to following your build :thumbsup:

Edited by LDSModeller
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

This will be great! I remember your other Corsair which was a treat!

I’ll be joining you at some point with some NZ corsair’s I was looking at three but might just do two as I don’t have any American corsairs built and I appear to be in an American binge, what with the B-25, B-17 and B-24!

good luck buddy!

Rob

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Great choice

Thanks Dennis, and thanks for organizing and hosting this one - looks like quite  a turn out already.

19 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

The Xtradecals (RNZAF), we Kiwis had some input, and Xtradecals actually listened - the colours are pretty good

To top it all off, earlier this year I saw WWII RNZAF Roundels on a former RNZAF Aircraft that had been in

storage for some 50-60 years, and the colour was a Magnificent Dark Blue, even when showing

some fading, the colour was still a dark blue - nothing like Eagle Cal's Expert portrayed

Edit - PS Cookie, I almost forgot, great subject choice, I look forward to following your build :thumbsup:

Xtradecals roundels it is then! I really appreciate your input Alan.

19 hours ago, Col. said:

Cool! Are you going for a worn and faded paintjob?

Yes, that's my plan Col., and here's a link I found to a pic of my chosen subject. Pretty worn out.

18 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Great to see another Kiwi Corsair being built.

We could almost do a New Zealand Corsair STGB at this rate!

17 hours ago, giemme said:

Cookie, looks like you are on a Corsair hype! Excellent! Following... :popcorn: :popcorn:

My bench is all Corsairs right now Giorgio, with this and KD431.

11 hours ago, CedB said:

I'm in Cookie! :) 

Welcome Ced!

11 hours ago, rob85 said:

This will be great! I remember your other Corsair which was a treat!

I’ll be joining you at some point with some NZ corsair’s I was looking at three but might just do two as I don’t have any American corsairs built and I appear to be in an American binge, what with the B-25, B-17 and B-24!

Oh yeah, you even named 'Tiny' the nightfighting Corsair, Rob (it was one of those ironic nicknames).

Your triple is going to be very impressive.

9 hours ago, John Laidlaw said:

Lovely choice, Cookie - I'll be following this one.

Thanks John, welcome aboard. Your Corsair thread has already become very interesting!

OK, the I've got the cockpit done.

20200531_141822

No PE or anything on this one, just used a tiny brush and hoped for the best. It should be OK inside the fuselage.

The 1/72 Tamiya kit has a few places where the fit is very un-Tamiya like. One of these is the 'turtle deck' behind the cockpit; it's too narrow. If you follow the instructions, and fit the two halves together and then attach them to the fuselage, you end up with a seam all the way around the part, and it's a real pain to deal with.

This time, I thought I'd try a different approach by attaching each half to its corresponding fuselage half first, which will leave a gap down the middle - pick your poison.

20200531_143334

Shims glued to the other half in anticipation of the new gap in down the center.

20200531_143954

Both sides attached. It does match up very nicely with the fuselage sides now, but the gap down the middle is a pain, mainly where the headrest is.

20200531_145029

I filled the gap, but there is still a line where the headrest is, and I think I have to live with it - maybe one more fill and paint pass. The top seam is fine (I hope), it's been filled and sanded with the superglue method. Oh, and the wings are on.

20200531_180237

Ha, you can see the pile of wings for KD431 in the back.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

We could almost do a New Zealand Corsair STGB at this rate!

Great looking cockpit Cookie.

Can I steal that one Craig, an ANZAC type build sounds great. Along the same lines of the Nordic group build we've just finished. Theres a proud history and rightfully so of the Kiwi’s and Aussies. 

Dennis

• Like 3

Very nice work Cookie, the cockpit looks really good and your idea for the turtle deck looks like its worked a treat, you have motored along with the build too as she is almost complete.

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Can I steal that one Craig

Feel free Dennis, I'll be along in a minute! :) 

• Like 2

Wow, fast going here, Cookie! :clap:

The cockpit is impressive, hard to believe it's in 1/72! :worthy:

Nice save with the turtle deck too - for the remaining seam, you might try brushing in some slightly thinned PPP with a very fine pointed brush. Then smooth it over and paint; that's my go-to technique when I have to deal with that kind of small, non easily accessible seams. HTH

Ciao

• Thanks 1

That must have been a very small brush you used, that cockpit looks fantastic!

good shout on the turtle deck, I can’t remember if the tamiya has a single clear part for the canopy or weather it’s separate, is the deck possibly narrower to accommodate the hood back? I’ll have to check my kit.

Rob

• Like 2

You've made a tidy job of highlighting the cockpit detail and fast work getting the airframe together :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

Thanks for looking in everybody, just a little update today.

On 6/1/2020 at 2:40 AM, giemme said:

Nice save with the turtle deck too - for the remaining seam, you might try brushing in some slightly thinned PPP with a very fine pointed brush. Then smooth it over and paint; that's my go-to technique when I have to deal with that kind of small, non easily accessible seams. HTH

Ah thanks Giorgio, it worked - see below.

On 6/1/2020 at 3:12 AM, rob85 said:

I can’t remember if the tamiya has a single clear part for the canopy or weather it’s separate, is the deck possibly narrower to accommodate the hood back? I’ll have to check my kit.

That's an insightful idea Rob, maybe Tamiya did it on purpose to fit an open canopy. I checked the kit canopy and it seems to fit OK in both the open and closed position with the new wider turtle deck, but I'll check more carefully when it's ready to attach for priming/painting.

The seam by the headrest is pretty much gone (or better disguised anyway!). The gun sight is attached and the coaming painted. Oh, and I need to paint the headrest black, not brown.

20200602_185036

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Tidied up very nicely Cookie, well done.

Agreed, no signs of seams at all - excellent! :clap: 

Ciao

• Thanks 1

Engine painted up:

20200605_103526

Engine assembled, and I painted the leading edge of the fuselage light blue with some light grey drybrushed on top as it will be difficult to reach this area with the cowling attached.

20200605_110934

The rear of the cowling, where it will meet the fuselage. I'm showing this pic because it's the last of this detail we'll ever see as soon as it's attached.

20200605_112600

OK, ready for primer.

20200605_124024

Speaking of primer, I just got a hold of some Mission Models clear primer - you can 'tint' it with whatever Mission Models paint you like, and I'm giving it a try.

Clear primer with light grey paint for the fabric portions.

20200605_135054

And then clear primer with aluminum paint.

20200605_143155

It works pretty well, but since the primer itself is clear, it's not a very opaque coat which is to be expected I suppose. So, I added a coat of aluminum paint on top.

20200605_150221

Tomorrow, a coat of Yellow Zinc Chromate and some chipping.

• Like 13

It's looking very nice so far Cookie.

May I ask though, what's supposed to be the benefit of having a clear, tintable primer?

Cheers

• Like 1