1/32 Saab JA-37 Viggen, by Jetmads

Creepy Pete

1 hour ago, Simon Cornes said:

Well that knocks my idea about order numbering being an indication of how many have sold into a cocked hat!!  But we have something to look forward to in the New Year!!

Someone over on LSP said the current order numbers include the Learjet (I think) pre-orders - so collectively between the two they appear to have half-sold each. Either that or the Viggen is nearly sold out again but I decided not to chance it. I did secure a pre-order for the first run but had to cancel as the payment just hit at a bad time. Well, this time I've already paid so it's only a matter of time :)

Cheers,

WV908

7 minutes ago, WV908 said:

Someone over on LSP said the current order numbers include the Learjet (I think) pre-orders - so collectively between the two they appear to have half-sold each. Either that or the Viggen is nearly sold out again but I decided not to chance it. I did secure a pre-order for the first run but had to cancel as the payment just hit at a bad time. Well, this time I've already paid so it's only a matter of time :)

Cheers,

WV908

Have you seen the photos of the parts on LSP? Beautiful! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Simon Cornes said:

Have you seen the photos of the parts on LSP? Beautiful! 

Yeah the photos were the final push to make me order it. I'm always wary about 3d printed parts but the detail is so fine and the surfaces so smooth that one rubbed back coat of primer is all that will be needed. 

The extras like the towing bar and crew ladder piqued my interest and especially when you weigh up the cost vs the 1/48 Special Hobby offering it seems fairly reasonable. 

After missing out on the first run I did end up buying three of the special hobby kits second hand for about £40 each (Two AJ's and an SK) and had decided to wait for Jetmads to do the SK and planned to pick that up... But I decided when this second run of JA's was announced that I couldn't resist the proper fighter Viggen with that huge belly cannon. 

I want to do a bit of research on the kit to see what variants can be built from this, but I'd quite like to build a grey end-of life JA 

Cheers,

WV908

In my case I just fancy a 'classic' in the splinter camouflage. Talking 3D printing I have a TSR2 that looks like it was made by Junkers!! It also cost twice as much as the Viggen but heh, its modelling isn't it!!

My understanding is that there isn't much difference between single seaters. I actually have a very good reference book for the Viggen which I haven't read for years so I'll have to dig it out but I can only think that the fin tip shape is slightly different with the AJ and there's a blade aerial behind the rudder with the JA. All very minor. But having Newark's close at hand will be really useful!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Simon Cornes said:

My understanding is that there isn't much difference between single seaters. I actually have a very good reference book for the Viggen which I haven't read for years so I'll have to dig it out but I can only think that the fin tip shape is slightly different with the AJ and there's a blade aerial behind the rudder with the JA. All very minor. But having Newark's close at hand will be really useful!

The JA fuselage was slightly longer than the other versions, though in 1/32 maybe not so noticeable (I think the extra length was something like 10cm, if memory serves). In any event, when they entered service the JAs were painted in the splinter scheme, the grey came later..... 

On 9/1/2021 at 5:36 PM, Simon Cornes said:

In my case I just fancy a 'classic' in the splinter camouflage. Talking 3D printing I have a TSR2 that looks like it was made by Junkers!! It also cost twice as much as the Viggen but heh, its modelling isn't it!!

Like Christer said, a couple.. But the JA 37 was also "knicked back" slightly from the AJ´s bend in the fuselage.. Can´t really explain in English - but kinda where the insert for the longer engine (10 cm, and 13cm for the fuselage iirc) the fuselage is bent back up again for airflow.. There is also another two actuators for the flaperons and the flaperons are fused together on the JA.

On 9/1/2021 at 6:59 PM, hopkp said:

The JA fuselage was slightly longer than the other versions, though in 1/32 maybe not so noticeable (I think the extra length was something like 10cm, if memory serves). In any event, when they entered service the JAs were painted in the splinter scheme, the grey came later..... 

In 1732 it actually should. You getht eextension for the 1/48 kit from Tarangus - sure, just a couple of millimetres but.. I see people put way more effort into even smaller "details". The most important thing is - the JA is almost a generation younger. Avionics wise, they are far apart. The JA being the first, real digital aircraft..

1 hour ago, Paramedic said:

Like Christer said, a couple.. But the JA 37 was also "knicked back" slightly from the AJ´s bend in the fuselage.. Can´t really explain in English - but kinda where the insert for the longer engine (10 cm, and 13cm for the fuselage iirc) the fuselage is bent back up again for airflow.. There is also another two actuators for the flaperons and the flaperons are fused together on the JA.

In 1732 it actually should. You getht eextension for the 1/48 kit from Tarangus - sure, just a couple of millimetres but.. I see people put way more effort into even smaller "details". The most important thing is - the JA is almost a generation younger. Avionics wise, they are far apart. The JA being the first, real digital aircraft..

I wonder if the kit fuselage is stretched then?

1 hour ago, Paramedic said:

It should be, surely? Tarangus/Special Hobby has that insertion in their 1/48th.. Anything else would be sloppy (sorry!).. :)

It´s quite visible too, just in front of the main wing.

You would think so but I’ve not seen the two fuselage halves next to each other. I wonder if the Jetmads imagery makes it any clearer?

It seems to have the extension.

There is a panel line that runs around the fuselage, between the aft end of the canards and the front tip of the wings.  On the AJ, both surfaces 'touch' this panel line - the canards stop at the line, and the wing root starts at it.

https://plasticfantastique.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Saab-AJS-37-Viggen-header-001-768x402.jpg

On the JA, the extension was added directly aft of this line, so the canards stop at the panel line, but the wings start (slightly) aft of it:  https://www.armedconflicts.com/attachments/4461/IMG_20190405_140344.jpg

Or another way to think of it: in plan view, on the AJ, the wings and canards look like they *just* touch; on the JA, there's a gap between them.

This gap is particularly noticeable by the APU door, which also abuts the fuselage break line.  On the AJ, the wing starts immediately aft of the panel line: https://plasticfantastique.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/SAAB-JA37-Viggen-Fuselage-007.jpg  whereas on the JA, there's a space: https://www.armedconflicts.com/attachments/4461/IMG_7982.JPG  

Which shows us what to look for.

The instructions seem to indicate there's a gap between the wing root and the fuselage break: https://scontent.fyyc2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/236183119_877916949797258_4378205192386689638_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=klam4FikwBQAX_1RuEc&_nc_ht=scontent.fyyc2-1.fna&oh=fa762ebb955b4c2d2f6af1fa259c9500&oe=615EDFBE (FB link, so, ugh...)

Similarly, the gap seems to be present on the resin aft fuselage: https://i.ibb.co/5vqKcCr/23.jpg 

So... probably.  Though without a test fit and measuring the actual parts, it's impossible to say for sure.

Also worth noting, this picture https://i.ibb.co/hYzrZf5/Viggen-Large-Parts-Production-Status.png shows a couple of pieces that fit between the fore and aft fuselage halves, which some people have assumed was an insert for the fuselage stretch.  I'm pretty sure they're not - they look to me like a couple of parts to help join the fuselage halves more securely - since they're too long, and don't actually form a complete circle (there's a cutout for the APU).

That said, it's 'supposed' to be a normal Jaktviggen, but has the D cockpit; the decal options are a mix of original and upgraded airframes, so it's not 100%.

...and a couple of good walkaround pages here: https://plasticfantastique.com/walk_arounds/walkaround-the-saab-37-viggen/ and here: https://www.armedconflicts.com/SAAB-JA-37-Viggen-t3752

• Thanks 1

Well that is a very thorough critique and I’m pleased that you have clarified that JM have not just used everything again but with a different weapons fit and markings. Some manufacturers- no names, no pack drill- may not have bothered! 
I fancy a JA in full splinter camouflage so a long as the supplied markings are correct for that then I’m happy! I really must dig out my Viggen reference book! 

Ah - ha, now I remember, I have two books - the very good Air-Doc publication, trouble is I can't lay may hands on it but but I suspect its in the stash with the Heller 1/72 Viggens! And the other is the Modern Combat Aircraft volume and I know where that is. Probably not as good from a modelling point of view but hopefully useful. Next job is to excavate the stash to see if I'm right about that Air-Doc book!!

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have received my first copy last week, absolutely gorgeous kit, two more to come. Definitely worth all the wait and I simply do not care about any delays as long as they continue to bring such wonderfully designed and produced kits.

Speaking of dimensions, panels, shape... all look ok. And excellent details...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 12/9/2022 at 4:02 AM, WV908 said:

I ordered from batch two and jumped in at around the last 100-ish orders. 

Mine has just arrived so most should in theory have their kits now.

Cheers,

WV908

My order from Batch 2 shipped about 7 days ago. 

• Like 1

On 12/11/2022 at 6:06 PM, AnthonyWan said:

My order from Batch 2 shipped about 7 days ago. 

16th November mine shipped I think. No breakages like what was reported from the first boxing as the packing method is slightly different.

Cheers,

WV908

• 3 months later...