1/32 Saab JA-37 Viggen, by Jetmads

Creepy Pete

Discussion on resin is useless. It is not for everyone for sure requiring deep interest in a rare subject, affordability and generally improved modeling skills over the years.People are committed and stick to what they think anyway and it is difficult to overcome a prejudice. Only thing that can help you do that is to buy a resin kit from a quality maker, like HpH or Jetmads, and build it to what these detailed kits deserve. Then you will know what you have missed so far.

Resin dust is an urban legend, though one should stay on the safe side and always apply wet sanding. I have not seen anyone swallowing resin dust down to their throats and die, which is what would also happen if you swallow too much plastic. And people who for some reason have these high objections to resin would not be here writing about their deep experiences as well, if that was the case.

Drinking from plastics, eating from plastics and breathing microplastics everyday of our life I do not think a few scrathes and rubs on a resin kit would jeopardize our lives that much. Not to mention polluted air and microwaves stuff. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, IvanVasili said:

Only thing that can help you do that is to buy a resin kit from a quality maker, like HpH or Jetmads, and build it to what these detailed kits deserve. Then you will know what you have missed so far.

Resin dust is an urban legend, though one should stay on the safe side and always apply wet sanding. 

With you on both counts! And too many folks get hung up on cost. For me, most resin kits give me wayyyyy more modelling/enjoyment per buck than anything in styrene (except maybe WNW). :)

• Like 3

I had a reservation in the primary list for one kit and bought it last week. Having seen those wonderful CAD images I asked if I could buy another one. They said they could accept orders only if there were availabilities and none was at the moment, so put me on the waiting list. Waiting, fingers crossed.

2 hours ago, RicardoD said:

As goes for anything, it depends on the quality of the material. Not all steel is the same, not any certain metal, not every plastic and so on... Same for polyurethanes and this is a common name to identify the process of chemical bonding, which into details of my profession I will not get here. You have PU paints, PU foams, PU boards etc etc and you have some types of PU resins, with different compositions of different trademarks. So, in short, not every PU resin is the same and not every PU resin behaves the same way. I would not know the quality and brand of the resin you were experiencing with your figures, but nowadays there are manufacturers of resin kits who produce aircraft kits with 50-60cm wingspan without any sagging or warping.

I used the same brand and variety as François Verlinden did for his products.
I insist in saying that PUR is not fit for manufacturing parts destined to be assembled with the kind of precision we have come to be accustomed with.

I’m not here to argue, just to share my experience.
Having said that, I would be delighted to follow the buildIng of a resin kit from start to finish. Any volunteer?

Not entirely fair perhaps, but bear in mind the associated costs: computer + monitor + mouse (+printer/scanner), broadband, mobile phone (optional), airbrush, compressor,  suitable range of paints, glues, tools, references...  The cost of the kit, to a few pounds, or even a few tens of pounds, is not that significant in comparison.  Those who buy with an emphasis on price will generally get the lower quality offerings: to a large extent they get what they pay for.  Individuals' priorities differ with their means, but (for example) a cheaper mobile phone will give a cheaper monthly rate and the combination will add up to a fairly significant upgrade in models.  If you think a model expensive, think what you could buy instead with the same amount.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Also just announced 

https://dnmodels.com/product/saab-37-viggen-splinter-camo-paint-mask-set-1-32/

$49 for the Splinter scheme  - still swithering on this , (my kit is bought and paid for , yes I'm lucky in being able to afford it, I know) ,  I think I'll wait until I have the kit in my hands and look over the marking options before deciding

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Decal options are excellent, more than I would expect...both in numbers and types. Monthly project update says the decals will come in two A4 size sheets. I also appreciate the approach; they could have just made only a few options for a kit they have already cashed in, but giving the modeler 15 options is a rare thing.  

On 3/1/2021 at 11:58 AM, colin ritchie said:

Also just announced 

https://dnmodels.com/product/saab-37-viggen-splinter-camo-paint-mask-set-1-32/

$49 for the Splinter scheme  - still swithering on this , (my kit is bought and paid for , yes I'm lucky in being able to afford it, I know) ,  I think I'll wait until I have the kit in my hands and look over the marking options before deciding

Good Lord, 49 USD....I'll pass and figure this out myself. I have bought a pair and will enjoy the construction and painting for sure.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mr.T said:

Good Lord, 49 USD....I'll pass and figure this out myself. I have bought a pair and will enjoy the construction and painting for sure.

That's what I thought when I saw the price, a quarter of the kit's price is too high for a masking set. Besides, rumour is that Jetmads will provide painting guides with the instructions so I'll happily use it if that's the case.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JohnMcDonnell said:

That's what I thought when I saw the price, a quarter of the kit's price is too high for a masking set. Besides, rumour is that Jetmads will provide painting guides with the instructions so I'll happily use it if that's the case.

and a little elbow grease work should get me where I need to be...Although I could envision 2 greys as well :)

• Like 1

If they deliver this and the praise comes, this would open up their business for sure. And it shows there are kits people really are very interested in.

Personally I am very happy to see they added the 48-lineage to their range with the Neptune, B-47 and Fiddler.

I can imagine the Saab 35 Draken in 32-scale would be a winner as well. Or another delta such as the Douglas Skyray, the Grumman Tiger, Banshee, F-5 etc.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Source: https://www.facebook.com/groups/695711033832473/permalink/5281926445210886/

JETMADS

1:32 JA37 Viggen Project - Contingency Update

Hello,

Covid has finally hit us. Some of our production crew, production manager and general manager are under medication since last week. They are all doing well now and have been prescribed full day rest for several weeks.

A decision we were very reluctantly but inevitably forced to make, please be informed that we now have to pause all production activities until the end of May, when hopefully everyone will fully have recovered and be back to their work.

We will be pleased to inform you when the production resumes… and please have no doubt that it will.

Our communication stays open, please feel free to send any queries but be noted that responses may be delayed.

Kind Regards,

JETMADS Team

V.P.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1