1/32 Saab JA-37 Viggen, by Jetmads

Creepy Pete

9 minutes ago, richie894 said:

How did you guys complete your preorder? Did they send an email with instructions today? I am on the list but didn't get anything in my inbox today.

I received it on Wednesday too and there was no other email until today, which came after I placed the preorder confirming my purchase.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, mattcour said:

I received the email on Wednesday and just placed the preorder on their website, the Viggen page under 1:32 products.

Perfect, thanks. I just placed my pre-order. Not sure what the need to be the first 500 to register my email and get on a "list" was about. It seems like anyone could just go to the website and place an order.

3 minutes ago, richie894 said:

Perfect, thanks. I just placed my pre-order. Not sure what the need to be the first 500 to register my email and get on a "list" was about. It seems like anyone could just go to the website and place an order.

No, not exactly so. One of my friends an hour ago tried this. He placed a preorder without a reservation and he received an email from them saying that he is not on their reservation list so his preorder will be cancelled during the preorder period and his money will be reimbursed if someone does not cancel his reservation and make a kit available. So it appears the reservations had a real purpose and really being closely monitored.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, colin ritchie said:

Me too , now will someone do a set of stencils for the splinter scheme !

Looking at the level of details on those images I would expect a satisfactory decal sheet should come, including the stencils. What would be great is if someone would do a masking for that scheme :)

I missed out on the original pre-ordering bit and thought I'd missed the boat with this.

But saw on the 1/32nd scale Modeller FB page that orders opened up on the 31st.

Raced off to the site and low and behold they took my order!!!!! :yahoo: Have the receipt and told will be advised when its shipped!!!  I really hope they haven't over sold and cancel the order.......missing out twice would be too much!

I'll definitely be doing the Splinter scheme, will make up my own masks on a Silhouette Curio cutting machine. She should look great with her little brother.......1/48th SH-37, this one is all masks too.

IMG_2948-L.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Beermonster1958 said:

Or, why not forget the tedious job of masking and simply print the colour segments as decals. its a pity this is a resin kit. certauny looks amazing.

john

Don't you mean, "...it's great as a subject and the fact that it's resin is the cherry on top"?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

I don't particularly go for the subject but the fact it's resin would make me buy it! What's not to love about resin?

If the resin they’re using is polyurethane, it will warp over time under its own weight. Not only the thin, delicate parts like undercarriage but also the solid, thin parts like wings.

9 hours ago, Beermonster1958 said:

Or, why not forget the tedious job of masking and simply print the colour segments as decals. its a pity this is a resin kit. certainly looks amazing.

john

.... so, to "decal up" the entire aircraft, you mean? In 1/32 scale? That decal sheet would probably cost as much as the kit itself.

13 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I missed out on the original pre-ordering bit and thought I'd missed the boat with this.

But saw on the 1/32nd scale Modeller FB page that orders opened up on the 31st.

Raced off to the site and low and behold they took my order!!!!! :yahoo: Have the receipt and told will be advised when its shipped!!!  I really hope they haven't over sold and cancel the order.......missing out twice would be too much!

I'll definitely be doing the Splinter scheme, will make up my own masks on a Silhouette Curio cutting machine. She should look great with her little brother.......1/48th SH-37, this one is all masks too.

IMG_2948-L.jpg

One of my friends was on the waiting list and he placed his order yesterday. Another friend without a reservation asked them if he could place an order for two copies, they replied no because they had no kits available at the time and they are keeping the store open for some people who had not made their payments yet. Lucky that you bagged one, it must have been a cancelled one or something like that, I think they would have told you already if it wasn't available.

Great Viggen, by the way :) This will be even greater in 1/32 :penguin::penguin:

2 hours ago, quangster said:

If the resin they’re using is polyurethane, it will warp over time under its own weight. Not only the thin, delicate parts like undercarriage but also the solid, thin parts like wings.

Resin discussion is everlasting, and in vain imho, but I have no such experience as a warped wing over time. If a part is not already warped when you open the kit box, then it won't. Deformed undercarriage is common to plastic kits too, hence the metal ones, so not a dealbreaker for me.

It must have been my lucky day, got a 2nd confirmation e-mail from them plus a copy of the e-mail they sent out to the earlier people that had pre-ordered.

I friend still managed to get his order confirmed 6 hours ago.

Now just have to wait until March next year!

Just seeing the resin talk....I've been build resin models for over 20 years now, from just about every manufacturer there is. Other than the sagging U/c, which only seems to happen with the heavier models general warping has never been an issue with built models. For me resin is may favourite material to work with.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, RicardoD said:

Resin discussion is everlasting, and in vain imho, but I have no such experience as a warped wing over time. If a part is not already warped when you open the kit box, then it won't. Deformed undercarriage is common to plastic kits too, hence the metal ones, so not a dealbreaker for me.

I used to work daily with polyurethane resin for some years, moulding and casting figures. I suppose to know how the material behaves. I just wanted to share my experience. Yours may be different, so be it. 🙂

I can only assume that the resin used in kits is different. In fact I have noticed over the years that it does in any case differ from manufacturer to manufacturer; Karaya, CMK etc resin is quite hard and more buff-coloured while the resin used by Small Stuff, SBS etc is grey and quite soft. Neither seems to suffer from long-term warpage. And if you've built any BBS race car models you will know that their resin is more like porcelain and quite difficult to work with, but massively strong!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Beermonster1958 said:

Plenty,quite apart from the cost and,usually very limited availability. the issues with resin aas a material are already well covered so,I will not reiterate here. I do go for the subject but,the fact it's resin means I wont go for the kit.

john

Again, no issues in 30+ years with, "...issues with resin as a material". There is a lot of erroneous information posted about resin by folks who don't work with it!

3 hours ago, quangster said:

I used to work daily with polyurethane resin for some years, moulding and casting figures. I suppose to know how the material behaves. I just wanted to share my experience. Yours may be different, so be it. 🙂

As goes for anything, it depends on the quality of the material. Not all steel is the same, not any certain metal, not every plastic and so on... Same for polyurethanes and this is a common name to identify the process of chemical bonding, which into details of my profession I will not get here. You have PU paints, PU foams, PU boards etc etc and you have some types of PU resins, with different compositions of different trademarks. So, in short, not every PU resin is the same and not every PU resin behaves the same way. I would not know the quality and brand of the resin you were experiencing with your figures, but nowadays there are manufacturers of resin kits who produce aircraft kits with 50-60cm wingspan without any sagging or warping.

1 hour ago, Beermonster1958 said:

No, I dont mean that. By all means paint the lightest (base) colour and then  apply the coloured segments. Your comment about the hypothetical cost of such a sheet is obviously done with tongue in cheek though, I get that!  

One could of course use solid colour decal sheet I guess! However, its irrelevant anyway as I wont be geting the kit.

No, the cost of such a decal sheet is not hypotethical. And I am not saying it tongue-in-nowhere, I'm quite serious. Special scheme decals, especially in limited numbers, cost really that much.

Different people, different experiences, different tastes, different finances... Not has to be the same anyway and not any particular one is totally superior to the other, just a matter of choice. To me, resin is quite a workable material. I had some experiences with poor applications and materials, but that is how you learn to choose the manufacturer, which also applies to plastic kits.

A 1/32 Viggen in IM plastic would be great really, but considering this is the only option and one actually many modelers would not dream of until announced, I would say it is a bargain. I had purchased two Skystreak kits from Jetmads, their first kit. I know what it looks like, you only have to see it alive to be able to properly appreciate the work done so I have reason to believe this is going to be great kit, doubling the bargain for me.

Edited by SpeedyGonzales
  • Like 1