1/32 Saab JA-37 Viggen, by Jetmads

Creepy Pete

This will of course be the precursor to an announcement that one of the major mainstream manufacturers will announce a 1/32 Viggen in IM styrene at about 1/2 to 1/3 of the price.......! T'was ever thus! 😉😅

Allan

• Haha 1

Over on LSP there's an indication more Viggen variants and other Swedish jets will follow.

Well, that's two JetMADS Drakens to save up for, possibly three. That's me sorted out. 

I just wished that the Su-15 Flagon was as popular, but you can't have everything.

Tony 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, tony.t said:

Over on LSP there's an indication more Viggen variants and other Swedish jets will follow.

Well, that's two JetMADS Drakens to save up for, possibly three. That's me sorted out. 

I just wished that the Su-15 Flagon was as popular, but you can't have everything.

Tony 

Jetmads confirmed to me that more Viggen variants are planned, but there is no timescale on them with more unannounced projects due before them - we could be looking at two to three years minimum before they appear.

I personally want to build an AJS, but you never know what's going to happen in this world, especially with the current economic climate and this one is here now, so I've ordered a JA-37 to hopefully convert or more likely just build as is.

Cheers,

WV908 

Edited by WV908
  • Like 1

Glad to see someone FINALLY has made a 1/32 Viggen.  Happy for all of you that can finally get one.

To the managers who had the chance to bring us an injection plastic kit years ago, well, you missed the boat didnt you?

Walks away from keyboard grumbling about some peoples children.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

This will of course be the precursor to an announcement that one of the major mainstream manufacturers will announce a 1/32 Viggen in IM styrene at about 1/2 to 1/3 of the price.......! T'was ever thus! 😉😅

Allan

1/3 of the price?? Hardly so, I think. First, I do not think mainstreamers will ever get into that, as US is a very important market for kit manufacturers and I do not think US modelers are very much into European aircraft. Second, the Viggen flies for almost 50 years and it is only with the efforts of Tarangus (who is also Swedish) we had a Viggen kit in 1/48 after decades. So one in 1/32 would be a dead investment for the big fish, who would not bother to put in all the work and money for a few thousand kits, maybe. And even if by miracle they did, I wonder what the price would be, but I hardly think it would be a penny less than 150 Euros, given the distributors' profit and customs and all other cost stuff. Remember, there was an announcement by Fly of a 1/32 Tunnan a few years back, which never occured? Selling a few hundred kits is a good number for a resin manufacturer, but that is far from raising the interest of the steel cutters, whose antennae are sharpest in detecting profitable subjects.

Last but not least, if any big manufacturer has plans to produce something big, I hope they go with F-102, F-106, F-101, F-111, Mirage F1, Buccaneer and many other popular ones first, which have been around at least 60 years or more.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, tony.t said:

Tony 

Blimey, can you image the Dragon and the Lance alongside the Thunderbolt in 32nd!

16 hours ago, RicardoD said:

1/3 of the price?? Hardly so, I think. First, I do not think mainstreamers will ever get into that, as US is a very important market for kit manufacturers and I do not think US modelers are very much into European aircraft. Second, the Viggen flies for almost 50 years and it is only with the efforts of Tarangus (who is also Swedish) we had a Viggen kit in 1/48 after decades. So one in 1/32 would be a dead investment for the big fish, who would not bother to put in all the work and money for a few thousand kits, maybe. And even if by miracle they did, I wonder what the price would be, but I hardly think it would be a penny less than 150 Euros, given the distributors' profit and customs and all other cost stuff. Remember, there was an announcement by Fly of a 1/32 Tunnan a few years back, which never occured? Selling a few hundred kits is a good number for a resin manufacturer, but that is far from raising the interest of the steel cutters, whose antennae are sharpest in detecting profitable subjects.

You do realise the comment was made very much in jest and, with tongue very much in cheek?.

Ah well.....! At least someone else managed to get that.

Guess I need to try harder in future.

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

6 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

You do realise the comment was made very much in jest and, with tongue very much in cheek?.

Ah well.....! At least someone else managed to get that.

Guess I need to try harder in future.

Allan

Yes I did realize that, it wasn't that complicated to understand. What I tried to mean was not anything against you in particular, just a complaint about the manufacturers that we as modelers should already have gotten all these models way long before. I'd be personally very much pleased as any other modeler to get a Viggen or other neglected and newly tooled IM kit about the 1/3 price of a resin kit. But these companies are into too many Spitfires, Bf 109s, Mig-21s and F-16s that they do not give a damn to what modelers want. And when they release something new (considering the latest 1/32 releases of Tamiya and even Trumpeter like the A-6 Intruder selling at about 180 Euros in Europe), your price wish probably will not come true, that's what I was trying to say.  

I guess I need to make it simpler and clearer in future. Maybe was not able to express myself correctly, as this is a second language.

Ricardo

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, RicardoD said:

Yes I did realize that, it wasn't that complicated to understand. What I tried to mean was not anything against you in particular, just a complaint about the manufacturers that we as modelers should already have gotten all these models way long before. I'd be personally very much pleased as any other modeler to get a Viggen or other neglected and newly tooled IM kit about the 1/3 price of a resin kit. But these companies are into too many Spitfires, Bf 109s, Mig-21s and F-16s that they do not give a damn to what modelers want. And when they release something new (considering the latest 1/32 releases of Tamiya and even Trumpeter like the A-6 Intruder selling at about 180 Euros in Europe), your price wish probably will not come true, that's what I was trying to say.  

I guess I need to make it simpler and clearer in future. Maybe was not able to express myself correctly, as this is a second language.

Ricardo

No problem Ricardo. If I misinterpreted your original comment, I apologise.

I agree with what you say about "too many Spitfires" etc. The problem is, manufacturers are not so much in the business of making what modellers like you and I necessarily want.

They are in the business of making a profit and, this tends towards subjects like those you mention.

I won't pay Tamiya or, Trumpeter prices especially here in the UK. Revell (Germany) and, Italeri in Europe have shown they are capable of producing 1/32 kits at much more sensible prices👍😊

Allan

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

No problem Ricardo. If I misinterpreted your original comment, I apologise.

I agree with what you say about "too many Spitfires" etc. The problem is, manufacturers are not so much in the business of making what modellers like you and I necessarily want.

They are in the business of making a profit and, this tends towards subjects like those you mention.

I won't pay Tamiya or, Trumpeter prices especially here in the UK. Revell (Germany) and, Italeri in Europe have shown they are capable of producing 1/32 kits at much more sensible prices👍😊

Allan

No offense given nor taken Allan. I see your point and fully agree. True, Revell and Italeri are more modeler-friendly in that sense, though Revell seems to be at a slower pace nowadays. Looking forward to Italeri's new Tornado and I hope it will not disappoint us both detail and price-wise.

Anyway, I digress. Too much off the thread now :)

Cheers,

Ricardo 

4 minutes ago, RicardoD said:

No offense given nor taken Allan. I see your point and fully agree. True, Revell and Italeri are more modeler-friendly in that sense, though Revell seems to be at a slower pace nowadays. Looking forward to Italeri's new Tornado and I hope it will not disappoint us both detail and price-wise.

Anyway, I digress. Too much off the thread now :)

Cheers,

Ricardo 

You're right. I think we have actually both digressed somewhat! 😅. Maybe either of them might be up to the challenge of a Viggen? 😉.

Regards

Allan 👍

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 1

I believe it.  I don't pop into this part of the forum too often, so I missed the warning calls on Friday.

It's probably for the best.....I still have 3 1/48th AJ/AJS sitting on the shelf awaiting construction.  :whistle:

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm so glad I placed a timely reservation. The seat looks great and as a happy owner of their Skystreak I can tell what is seen on the CAD renderings is what is to be found in the box. I hope they come up with other versions of the Viggen as well. A double seater SK37 would look very attractive with those seats. Not to mention the AJ37 attack version, with all that Rb04 and other stuff. 

• Like 4

On 7/7/2020 at 12:52 PM, F-4Guy said:

Viggen is one of my all time favorites but I heard about this a bit late. I'm now on the waiting list and just hope to be able to get one. 

So am I. I was on a business trip when they announced this and wanted to get one or two, but found out all were gone until I was back and had the time to . The seat is promising like their other work, just hoping some space during pre-orders or maybe a new release not so far away.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/6/2020 at 8:32 AM, RicardoD said:

Last but not least, if any big manufacturer has plans to produce something big, I hope they go with F-102, F-106, F-101, F-111, Mirage F1, Buccaneer and many other popular ones first, which have been around at least 60 years or more.

Call me crazy but can I add B-58 and RA-5C to your list?

• Like 7