1/32 Saab JA-37 Viggen, by Jetmads

Creepy Pete

Number one candidate for "kit of the year 2021"

AJ and SH versions offer better assortment of weapons and pods, but hey, this is a Viggen in 1/32nd and considering their Skystreak offering, of which I have one copy, this is now on the top of my list.

4 hours ago, 71chally said:

Problem with resin isn't just learning to make the kit from this material, but also dealing with the hazards.

That's almost an urban legend. Resin material has hazard, true, but this is mostly when it is still liquid due to VOC and once it is solid it is harmless unless you eat it. You just need to avoid inhaling the dust and wear a mask when sanding etc. You would not even need that If you apply wet sanding. But no harm in taking all the precautions that would make you comfortable.

I don't think building a resin kit maybe once or twice a year poses more of a threat to our health than the waves of our cell phones or the wireless stuff we use everyday.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, IvanVasili said:

That's almost an urban legend. Resin material has hazard, true, but this is mostly when it is still liquid due to VOC and once it is solid it is harmless unless you eat it. You just need to avoid inhaling the dust and wear a mask when sanding etc. You would not even need that If you apply wet sanding. But no harm in taking all the precautions that would make you comfortable.

I don't think building a resin kit maybe once or twice a year poses more of a threat to our health than the waves of our cell phones or the wireless stuff we use everyday.

I tried to find specific data when this statement started being bandied around and couldn't find anything. Sure, lots of insoluble dust is never a good thing but that's sensible and non-specific. In fact you get similar amounts of insoluble dust when sanding plastic, so any argument against one but not the other fails right there.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sabrejet said:

In fact you get similar amounts of insoluble dust when sanding plastic, so any argument against one but not the other fails right there.

Generally speaking though there is alot less sanding with a modern injection kit*, before you even start you have to remove items from pouring blocks with resin.

But as I say I'm leaning towards trying a resin kit soon.

*Mach2 kits accepted

• Like 2

One of my dreams coming true!! I wish it could be stryene but considering it took us over 30 years to get a decent Viggen in 1/48, it may well take another hundred years for an IM 1/32 version to appear so I'm definitely excited. AJ37 would be great as well with all that RB-04 and Mjölner loading. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, RicardoD said:

Did the JA version fly in metallics?

Nope, that was only the AJ.

For JA, you can choose between light grey/,Dark Grey or splinter.

There was also 6 machines that trialed out low-viz schemes, two of them all over White and the rest all over Dark Gray.

55 minutes ago, RicardoD said:

31 minutes ago, Christer A said:

Nope, that was only the AJ.

For JA, you can choose between light grey/,Dark Grey or splinter.

There was also 6 machines that trialed out low-viz schemes, two of them all over White and the rest all over Dark Gray.

I think the prototypes and a few of the the first production machines were NMF.

0ff00bdd-1b0f-46d9-8f6b-46321f837bbf.JPG

• Like 3

On 5/31/2020 at 5:55 PM, mattcour said:

How much should this beauty unload from my dear wallet? Any bets?

I only model the aircraft I love and I absolutely love Viggen. Built a few Special Hobby in 48th but to me one in 32nd is a dream, so I'll try to afford one no matter what the price is, even if that means I will have to not buy some other kits for a while. On the other hand, there's a logical limit to the price thing and for a detailed resin kit of that size and that logic in my opinion calls for something about... just about 200 Euros or so...

Oooer! I'll be hard pushed to resist this, but having been under a real one they're HUUUUGE, so in 1:32 would make an imposing model. :tasty:

On an aside about the harmful effects of sanding resin, it's not the chemical in the resin (once cured) that are the danger, it's just the whole "small particles" issue, which if they get deep within your lungs can increase risk of permanent injury.  You could say that about any fine dust from MDF to household dust if the particles are fine enough.  Your best bet is to work on resin outdoors if you're planning on creating a lot of dust.  Wet-sand where you can, and when cutting parts, use a saw rather than a motor-tool, as the dust particles are generally larger and not so likely to be thrown so far into the air.  A simple dust mask will help, but a proper respirator will give much better protection, which is even more important if you have any pre-existing lung conditions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

The kind of dust does matter: asbestos is absolutely awful, coal and stone pretty bad.  I suspect this is normally a function of the hardness of the material.  However you are not talking about the very fine particulates that you get from diesel fumes, so modelling is probably as safe as driving long distances on the motorway.  Because you are looking at larger particles then simple facemasks are fine if it bothers you.  Should be plenty of those around at the moment, with hopefully large drops in price in a few months!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

The kind of dust does matter: asbestos is absolutely awful, coal and stone pretty bad.

Sorry, yes I should have mentioned that.  I was kind of focusing on the hobby though.  We're rapidly derailing the thread here, so we'd better shup up on the subject :offtopic: Back to BIG Viggens :)

• Like 1

Well, this is very welcome news, one of my favourite aircraft, in my favourite modelling medium and in 1/32nd, a definite purchase here. Good for Jetmads.

As for resin modelling, I agree with Ivan,

You just need to avoid inhaling the dust and wear a mask when sanding etc. You would not even need that If you apply wet sanding. But no harm in taking all the precautions that would make you comfortable.

Personally, I take all necessary precautions, including wearing a mask when wet sanding, (preferably outside, when practical) and wear nitrile gloves when handling the sanded parts. I've built dozens of them from 1/144th to 1/24th and it hasn't affected me yet :hypnotised: :wacko::frantic: 

• Like 3

On 6/2/2020 at 6:19 PM, RicardoD said:

There was actually JA's that flew in NMF.
There are a couple of pictures of that in the wonderful nordic airpower book #5 about the Viggen.

The airframes pictured are 37325 / 17-25, 37333 / 17-33 and 37351 / 17-39.

Can't seem to find any of those pictures online though.

Moose republic decals have 37325 as one of the options on his 1/48 scale decal sheet for the JA 37
http://www.mooserepublic.se/product/ja-37-viggen-148/

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Mike said:

Oooer! I'll be hard pushed to resist this, but having been under a real one they're HUUUUGE, so in 1:32 would make an imposing model. :tasty:

On an aside about the harmful effects of sanding resin, it's not the chemical in the resin (once cured) that are the danger, it's just the whole "small particles" issue, which if they get deep within your lungs can increase risk of permanent injury.  You could say that about any fine dust from MDF to household dust if the particles are fine enough.  Your best bet is to work on resin outdoors if you're planning on creating a lot of dust.  Wet-sand where you can, and when cutting parts, use a saw rather than a motor-tool, as the dust particles are generally larger and not so likely to be thrown so far into the air.  A simple dust mask will help, but a proper respirator will give much better protection, which is even more important if you have any pre-existing lung conditions.

I hold a vacuum cleaner nozzle between my knees and work over it sucks all the dust as you go. Of course I keep the vaccuum cleaner on a low setting as not lose the part I'm working on.

And a property of resin is that it is brittle, so making "fail points" with an exacto knife makes them very easy to break off cleanly from casting blocks.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, flarpen said:

There was actually JA's that flew in NMF.
There are a couple of pictures of that in the wonderful nordic airpower book #5 about the Viggen.

The airframes pictured are 37325 / 17-25, 37333 / 17-33 and 37351 / 17-39.

Can't seem to find any of those pictures online though.

Moose republic decals have 37325 as one of the options on his 1/48 scale decal sheet for the JA 37
http://www.mooserepublic.se/product/ja-37-viggen-148/

This one, 17-33?

resized_6d181eec-4ba1-4a8a-ae09-1784b642

• Like 5

4 hours ago, SpeedyGonzales said:

This one, 17-33?

resized_6d181eec-4ba1-4a8a-ae09-1784b642

That's cool, I could do that one! Already great in NMF and a little touch of the splinter camo, great altogether... 

• Like 1

300 out of the 500 run already gone within six hours. I'm glad I saw @SpeedyGonzales post and have fired off my email, but I'm still waiting for a response. I'd suggest if anyone really wants one of these Viggens to email ASAP. It is suggested that payment will be taken sometime in August, so still time to save up yet.

Cheers,

WV908

Edited by WV908