Converting a UH-1N to a UH-1J

Blimpyboy

Hiya all,

Does anybody out there have any ideas/experience on turning the Cyber Hobby UH-1N (https://www.cyber-hobby.com/products/1-35-uh-1n-gun-ship) into a UH-1J?

I've gone through the kit trees and I'm reasonably sure that there are enough bits and bobs to make a UH-1J. To my eye, from an external point of view, it looks like the UH-1J has a UH-1H main body and (slightly modified) upper-works, and a UH-1N-type nose.

JGSDF_UH-1J_camp-fukuoka_20090524_135756

uh-1j_01m.jpg

Does anybody have any ideas or thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any advice

• Blimpyboy changed the title to Converting a UH-1N to a UH-1J
14 minutes ago, Blimpyboy said:

Does anybody have any ideas or thoughts?

If I recall accurately the UH-1J was based on the single-engine -H. Since the -N was a twin-engine variant, I'm supposing the upper works might require more than just "slight modification," for one.

Agreed that the nose looks right, but I'm not enough of an authority to advise on cabin dimensions and so forth.

Cheers

11 minutes ago, thorfinn said:

Since the -N was a twin-engine variant

Yeah, I did think that was going to be a problem. However the kit has both sets of upper works, so I think there's a get out of jail card there (maybe)...

Do you know of any other J-specific mods that would need to be added (apart from the air filter cover and IR countermeasures box on the upper works)?

Edited by Blimpyboy

2 hours ago, Blimpyboy said:

However the kit has both sets of upper works, so I think there's a get out of jail card there (maybe)...

I am embarassed to admit that I did the Panda version of that same UH-1N kit less than a year ago...even posted it here...and completely forgot that it had the alternate engine/cowling configuration. :whistle: That should, indeed, make the job easier.

2 hours ago, Blimpyboy said:

Do you know of any other J-specific mods that would need to be added (apart from the air filter cover and IR countermeasures box on the upper works)?

Seems to me the -J originally had the same tail rotor as the AH-1S -- slightly larger in diameter than the -N's production rotor. Over the next day or so I'll take a quick toddle through my files, and let you know if I come up with anything else that might serve.

Since you've fixed on a particular model, do you have a particular a/c or scheme in mind?

• Haha 1

UH-1J is the upgraded version of the UH-1H , with nose, tail boom , tail rotor and main rotor blades from the 212 (UH-1N).

Graft the nose from a UH-1N onto a UH-1H fuselage , and fit MR Blades from the UH-1N , and whole tail boom and T/R from the UH-1N and you will have a UH-1J , also called the Huey II or Huey +

under skin differences are the T-53-17 (From AH-1S)replacing the -13 engine , Glass cockpit and other small things. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2