Terrible Heller 1/72 Bloch 174 moulding

Sounds like some of us have a case of lockdownitis ;)

Calm down, people. It's just plastic, not the end of the world.

Don't make me send you a MisterCraft kit.

• Haha 6

6 hours ago, Julien said:

I have moved this to WIP as thats what it is.

Some people also need to step back from their key boards.

Thanks but I didnt intend it to be a WIP I only took the one photo just to show the warranty replacement kit I got from Dave Coleys was buildable. I wont be posting any more photos.

My apologies to the mods and the forum for getting a bit stroppy it wont happen again.

• Like 1

Heller became notorious for poor shot control when they moulded Airfix kits with the machine 'bottoming out' before the full plastic flow was packed into the mould. This will induce sinks and short shots especially in parts with a changing thickness. I won't name my source but he would know.

John

• Like 3

1 hour ago, John Aero said:

Heller became notorious for poor shot control when they moulded Airfix kits with the machine 'bottoming out' before the full plastic flow was packed into the mould. This will induce sinks and short shots especially in parts with a changing thickness. I won't name my source but he would know.

John

This sounds exactly like the problem with both kits. Luckily the replacement was just difficult to build rather than might as well scratch build.

There was 2 short shots in the 2nd kit luckily one was easy to hide with filler and the other just needed some plasticard bodged into place.

On 03/06/2020 at 11:17, Clifton said:

This is why Heller has such a bad reputation here in the States.  I’ve never built one of their kits, and I never will.

Heller has a very good reputation back here in Europe. I've built many Heller kits, and I know what I am writing about. Many of them were, and are - unique. Buy Bloch 174 elsewhere! The kit under pressure is sure to be sent back, that's obvious. But Bloch 174 is one of the most beautiful designs, and if You want one, get one (I am not a Heller dealer, I am nobody's dealer!)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MacW said:

Heller has a very good reputation back here in Europe. I've built many Heller kits, and I know what I am writing about. Many of them were, and are - unique. Buy Bloch 174 elsewhere! The kit under pressure is sure to be sent back, that's obvious. But Bloch 174 is one of the most beautiful designs, and if You want one, get one (I am not a Heller dealer, I am nobody's dealer!)

I honestly think they ship substandard kits to the States, and nicer kits to the EU.  This happens in other industries too, where different countries get products of different quality levels.  The automobile industry would be a good example of this.

And you’re right, Heller makes some kits of uniquely French subjects that no one else makes, the same as Airfix with English subjects and Tamiya with Japanese subjects.

I love Heller kit and never had a bad one! Always superb plastic.  Could it be they kept the best molding for the French market?

Last year I started a 1/72 Airfix Seahawk, the very old kit in a plastic bag. The molding was on a par, and arguably worse than your Bloch. Could it be that Airfix sent the rubbish to France? Tit for tat?

Anyway enjoy, as the Block 174 is one of the best looking aircraft France had in 1940.

Have fun!

JR

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2020 at 3:37 PM, jean said:

I love Heller kit and never had a bad one! Always superb plastic.  Could it be they kept the best molding for the French market?

Last year I started a 1/72 Airfix Seahawk, the very old kit in a plastic bag. The molding was on a par, and arguably worse than your Bloch. Could it be that Airfix sent the rubbish to France? Tit for tat?

Anyway enjoy, as the Block 174 is one of the best looking aircraft France had in 1940.

Have fun!

JR

Ah, the ins and outs of international business!  Well, I wish to apologize for coming on too strong about Heller kits.  So as penance, I should look for one the next time I go to my local model shop.  Who knows, maybe I’ll find a Bloch 174?

• Haha 1

On 6/14/2020 at 9:37 PM, jean said:

Have fun!

JR

No, the ancient Airfix Seahawk was a pretty poor moulding in the 80's in terms of sink marks etc. Strange how some moulds hold up better than others. Most manufacturers seem to produce a poor quality kit occasionally. The Airfix Yak9 was another kit which seemed not to be well moulded. I remember building one in 1979 and expending a lot of effort to remedy moulding defects. 

• Like 1

At the time I mentioned, Heller were also moulding Airfix kits. because they were under the same umbrella company. My comments were nothing to do with Heller designs, choice of subject, marketing or nationalism, but a period of time when their production standards were poor hence the Aifix Concorde where I was told parts of the fuselage were made in different factories and it's subsequent poor fit..

Post 56, Read the thread title, the complainant had cause to complain. I gave a valid reason.

I too have some perfect older Heller kits and I built a Bloch 174 as a later Aeronavale aircraft many years ago.

John