Hi All and thanks for the Add

2996 Victor

Hi All,

I'm Mark, I've been lifelong model-maker since my first Matchbox Westland Lysander at age 7 or 8 (what a mess that was!), although there have been some fairly long hiatuses (hiatii?). The majority of my modelling for a long time has been 4mm/1ft scale (1/76) railways, set around 1900-1905, and of quite unusual subjects.

Recently, I thought it would be fun to do a group build with my two sons (aged 13 and 12) to help bring us together even though their home is 300 miles away, the kit I chose being the Airfix 1/72 Tomahawk IIb. I've yet to start mine, but plan to do so soon. I'm hoping that when we've all finished and normality returns post-Covid 19 we'll be able to get together and compare our results.

Although I'll still be concentrating on the rail side of the hobby, I've decided that a few aeroplanes would be good for variety and the pleasure of seeing something completed. They'll be 1/72 scale Second World War subjects, and my intention is to concentrate on slightly more esoteric subjects. To that end, I've got the Airfix Spitfire Mk.Ia kit plus sets to convert to a Mk.II Long Range on their way, plus the Airfix Hurricane Mk.IIc which may well become a Mk.IId. But the Tomahawk must come first!

I'm sure that even as a returning aviation modeller I'll have a lot of newbie questions - for one thing I don't know what's available these days! - so I hope you'll all forgive me for asking what's been asked before.

Kind regards,

Mark

• Like 1

Welcome Mark. If there is any place that you can ask questions and expect a sensible answer, this is it. Build what you enjoy, the way that gives you pleasure. I look forward to your posts.

• Like 1

Hi @Natter and @Corsairfoxfouruncle and thank you both for your kind words of welcome!

From what I've seen so far of the forum, superb modelling projects abound and there are a lot of very knowledgeable folk about who are happy to help answer any questions. Standards are high, so I hope I'll be able to live up to them!

I'm looking forward to posting on here, and as soon as I make a start on that Tomahawk I'll put up some pics.

Thanks again and kind regards,

Mark

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Standards are high, so I hope I'll be able to live up to them!

Dont try to is the best advice I can give you. Build only to make yourself happy, not what you expect or think the Forum wants or requires. That way only leads to sadness and frustration. I always ask myself this question. “Will I be happy with that tomorrow, next week, or next year ?” If so then you are good, as Ive seen all levels of model building here. I applaud them all as It takes a lot to share ones work and I will not disparage anyone one for doing so. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Dont try to is the best advice I can give you. Build only to make yourself happy, not what you expect or think the Forum wants or requires. That way only leads to sadness and frustration. I always ask myself this question. “Will I be happy with that tomorrow, next week, or next year ?” If so then you are good, as Ive seen all levels of model building here. I applaud them all as It takes a lot to share ones work and I will not disparage anyone one for doing so. 

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

Thanks again for your sage advice - "build to make yourself happy" is absolutely right! Years ago, I became disillusioned with my efforts because of trying to hard to achieve perfection when that's really not possible, and I think that's one of the main reasons why I stopped modelling for so long. I remember someone somewhere saying in the last few years "strive for excellence, not perfection", and I've tried to adhere to that mantra since.

With kind regards,

Mark

• Like 1