B-29 Top of the Mark

Mike N

I want to model Top of the Mark as she was when painted black on the undersides. Unfortunately I can't find any photos showing this aircraft other than close-ups of the nose art. Can anyone help with this?

If not a photo of this particular aircraft, any photos of other 19BG, 28BS B-29s in the black scheme showing the tail? If I can't get the specific aircraft I could at least base the scheme on other planes in the squadron... The biggest thing at this point would be whether the tail fin is also in black or not.

Any help much appreciated!

Mike

Nice one Andy. I had seen that site but not fully explored it, as in the links section I found this:

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/b29td_1.htm

This has some photos of 19BG, 28BS aircraft and they all have black tails. So while it's by no means certain Top of the Mark did, this is at least indicative. Plus, it's what I'd hoped would be the case :)  What I hadn't considered was that the top surfaces of the tailplanes also look to be black.

Mike 

On 5/30/2020 at 5:03 PM, 72modeler said:

Hi Mike,

I'm actually going with the old Aeromaster sheet 72-129 sheet which I've been meaning to use for years.

I am also a little sceptical about the Kits World artwork. I've not seen the tail without the green tip or the black stripe across (not saying it didn't exist, but...), and the underside black paint pattern around the artwork doesn't match the photos; a small detail but it suggests they haven't taken care with it and so I can't trust the rest of it. Plus, I always prefer to see photographic evidence of a scheme wherever possible!

Cheers,

Mike