Temporary Closure

Hi Alan,

I've only just noticed this thread and it sounds as if you you are on a huge rollercoaster of life. I hope you get some more good news in due course. Your enthusiasm is matched by the quality of your work and the modelling world would be much duller without your presence. What ever you do, I hope it becomes a profitable venture as we can't expect you to do this at the expense of earning a living from your skills.

Take care

Neil

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/08/2020 at 12:31, Icelandic Fine Art said:

Anyone has any information with regard to another manufacturer's progress on a 1/32 Supermarine Spitfire MK.22/24/FR.47? For example, release dates?

Alan

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/iconicair-spitfire-mk22-24-cowling--957300

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/freightdog-models-fsd32002-supermarine-seafire-fr47-conversion--1013191

V.P.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Alan

I got an email from you this morning asking me to send an Amazon voucher for £150 to an email address. Fortunately/Unfortunately I don’t have £150 right now so I was unable to help.

Later I emailed ‘You’ and asked if it was really you who had emailed me and ‘You’ said that that yes it was!! Unbelievable cheek!!

Simon

21 hours ago, Simon Cornes said:

Later I emailed ‘You’ and asked if it was really you who had emailed me and ‘You’ said that that yes it was!! Unbelievable cheek!!

Not to make fun of you, but ALWAYS check via alternate means if you can.

Same goes for those WhatsApp scams asking for money. 
Of course, someone scamming using a hacked mailbox/account will reply as done here. That's kind of the point of the scam.

If it sounds/reads off, it probably is.

They tried me again this afternoon, despite me tripping them up yesterday. Either nerve or stupidity.

Simon, that's why I PM'd Alan to let him know.

I was able to put a trick question to the scammer that he could never answer..

17 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

They tried me again this afternoon, despite me tripping them up yesterday. Either nerve or stupidity.

Simon, that's why I PM'd Alan to let him know.

I was able to put a trick question to the scammer that he could never answer..

Well done - you’re obviously more experienced at anti-scamming/hacking than I am. !!

24 minutes ago, Simon Cornes said:

Well done - you’re obviously more experienced at anti-scamming/hacking than I am. !!

Simon

can you lend me a few bob as I have an elderly mother who suffers from arthritis and needs a 1/32 Wingnut Wings kit to help her dexterity?

:D

John

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Simon Cornes said:

Good advice. I’m afraid that I’m rather naive about these things but we live and learn. I don’t know why people waste their lives with such pointless games!

They do it because they can make money ftom it. They contact tens of thousands and only need a few to fall for it to make it worthwhile. For them it isn't a pointless game at all.

It's the first time I have been hacked but it only takes that one occasion to cause mayhem and that's exactly what it has done. This racket has completely knocked out my Comms and has temporarily isolated me from all around. The service providers are not that helpful as everything is automated, so you end up going around in circles trying to resolve these problems. My entire computer system has failed for other reasons, even my back up computer failed at the same time, so I was unable to retrieve my lost files and information has been lost; I never figured on both computer systems failing at the same time. I soldier on knowing that I am 'doomed'.

Alan

2 hours ago, Icelandic Fine Art said:

Should have asked how many aircraft models, John T has in his collection, I don't think even John T knows the answer himself?

Alan

:D  don’t know about that Alan but I am 100% sure Mrs T doesn't’:wicked:

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Icelandic Fine Art said:

It's the first time I have been hacked but it only takes that one occasion to cause mayhem and that's exactly what it has done. This racket has completely knocked out my Comms and has temporarily isolated me from all around. The service providers are not that helpful as everything is automated, so you end up going around in circles trying to resolve these problems. My entire computer system has failed for other reasons, even my back up computer failed at the same time, so I was unable to retrieve my lost files and information has been lost; I never figured on both computer systems failing at the same time. I soldier on knowing that I am 'doomed'.

Alan

HIs Alan - good to read the 'Real' Alan!! I got your e-mail this morning but I think that I'll reply by PM to your IFA address on BM rather than to your e-mail address as I might be talking to the hacker as well - and I don't want to do that! 

Simon

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

Hello BM,

I have re-opened and deleted a significant amount of projects, in order to keep going. Rising costs of materials and a shortage means there will be delays, all round. I will be focussing mainly on 1/72 and some 1/48 projects. I have abandoned most of my 1/32 projects, as there are new firms turning out all sorts of new aircraft, far better than I can ever make, a lot has happened in the last 18 months, I guess I am looking increasingly outdated in a modern modelling world, such is life.

Alan

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Icelandic Fine Art said:

Hello BM,

I have re-opened and deleted a significant amount of projects, in order to keep going. Rising costs of materials and a shortage means there will be delays, all round. I will be focussing mainly on 1/72 and some 1/48 projects. I have abandoned most of my 1/32 projects, as there are new firms turning out all sorts of new aircraft, far better than I can ever make, a lot has happened in the last 18 months, I guess I am looking increasingly outdated in a modern modelling world, such is life.

Alan

That makes sense Alan - you are not a charity! Make some good products and maybe make a bit of money to!

Simon

• Thanks 1

Hello Joop,

Likewise it's good to be back and yes, the A330 is making slow progress, the fuselage and wings are taking shape but it's so huge, I have to use a lot of materials and things are still in short supply. My computer systems failed, so I lost all my data, I can still work without them, things will just take a bit longer.

Alan

Welcome back to the fold, Alan. 

It's great to see you back on Britmodeller. I hope you have a much better time of it than in the last year or so. 

Just to let you know, the Elstree show is now happening on Sunday 10th October (Covid willing!). 

Talk to you later, Sah...

Chris. 

• Thanks 1