ICELAND AIRWAYS Revell DC-4

I made this lovely detailed kit "out of the box" using foil for the natural metal finish and the ICELAND AIRWAYS decals supplied with the kit. 

The kit includes a finely detailed cockpit with a radio operator's station behind and a complete set of seating- most of which you can't see once the kit is assembled but it's satisfying to know it's there. I think the kit has been extensively reviewed elsewhere so won't go into more detail, suffice to say that it's a great addition to any 1/72 airliner collection.

ICELAND AIRWAYS DC-4

• Like 17

Nicely done ANDYMO1962!  This is a really difficult kit to master, and your results truly inspire me to finalize my C-54G.  Great job.  Using foil on a model of this size must've presented an enormous challenge.

Thanks! The foiling did take a long time but one benefit of lock-down is that I have plenty of that at the moment. The kit's clear panel lines allowed me to trim the foil to match the panels- and it's well worth the effort. (If you haven't got to the undercarriage on your C-54 yet be patient- it's infuriatingly fiddly but does fit together with a little care.)

Thanks! The kit's definitely worth the investment in time and effort. (I need to work out how to take better photos of models as they don't blow up very well.)

Edited by ANDYMO1962

ANDYMO1962:  I am definitely NOT looking forward to joining the undercarriage assemblies to the rest of the aircraft.  On the advice of a club member, and as an insurance policy against breakage, I purchased the Scale Aircraft Conversions metal set, airbrushed them gloss black, polished them, and then airbrushed the completed assemblies flat aluminum using Extreme Metal.  I understand that the real things were painted flat aluminum, not left in bare metal.  The hydraulic brake lines are especially easy to fracture and seem a little thick, but I made do.  

Yours looks every inch the DC-4, and I like how you left the cowl flaps open, per the engine shutdown checklist.  Normally the crew would raise the flaps after landing, but it's always interesting to see the flaps down.  Mine will be raised.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

ANDYMO1962:  I am definitely NOT looking forward to joining the undercarriage assemblies to the rest of the aircraft.  On the advice of a club member, and as an insurance policy against breakage, I purchased the Scale Aircraft Conversions metal set, airbrushed them gloss black, polished them, and then airbrushed the completed assemblies flat aluminum using Extreme Metal.  I understand that the real things were painted flat aluminum, not left in bare metal.  The hydraulic brake lines are especially easy to fracture and seem a little thick, but I made do.  

Yours looks every inch the DC-4, and I like how you left the cowl flaps open, per the engine shutdown checklist.  Normally the crew would raise the flaps after landing, but it's always interesting to see the flaps down.  Mine will be raised.

Hi there- I wondered if there was a metal u/c set available but the plastic with the kit is very detailed and does fit: I just approached it carefully as I’ve had trouble with big kits and delicate gear before: once it’s all superglued in place it’s quite tough. Regarding the Flaps yes I know it’s sloppy procedure to have them still down on the ramp but I couldn’t resist the separate flaps and Actuators, so I’m telling myself they’re down for a maintenance check 😉

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Moa said:

Beautiful model and very skillful job!

And an airliner!

A question if I may:

Why didn't you link your photos from Flickr directly, so they appear here and it's not necessary to proceed to click on and follow the link?

Like so:

49949133188_58776c71a6_k.jpg

Hi Moa- Thanks- i tried posting the individual links but the link box just goes red and doesn’t save- any idea what I’m doing wrong?

4 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Great job on the foil. Is it Bare metal foil or regular aluminum foil?

Thanks- it’s regular kitchen foil- I use the extra thick stuff as it stretches around the curves better

30 minutes ago, ANDYMO1962 said:

Hi Moa- Thanks- i tried posting the individual links but the link box just goes red and doesn’t save- any idea what I’m doing wrong?

There is a tutorial somewhere, but what i do is click on my photo in Flickr, click on the download arrow (bottom right of the screen), select "view all sizes", select the size you want to post clicking on it (not too big or it will "blink" when people go to your posts), right click on the photo and select "copy image location", then right click and past on your post: a link will be pasted, and convert itself to the image you selected. Presto.

There may be other ways.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ANDYMO1962 said:

Thanks- it’s regular kitchen foil- I use the extra thick stuff as it stretches around the curves better

BMF constantly tears. I only tinkered with foil and the foil adhesive to try it out but seemed to work good. Put the aluminum back into an airplane.

28 minutes ago, busnproplinerfan said:

BMF constantly tears. I only tinkered with foil and the foil adhesive to try it out but seemed to work good. Put the aluminum back into an airplane.

I always think that nothing looks more like polished aluminium than polished aluminium, but it does take time and I often end up with small folds & tears which can be frustrating- especially around the Engine nacelles on this kit. Thicker domestic foil does stretch a bit though to get around a  few curves and corners.

I did a B-36 in aluminum duct tape. I found that on nacelles, I started from the center working out with the top of the fingernail, slowly working it out in a kind of circular motion seemed to work fairly good. Then trimmed off the excess. I also have thin chocolate bar foil wrappers which I've yet to try. 

3 minutes ago, busnproplinerfan said:

I did a B-36 in aluminum duct tape. I found that on nacelles, I started from the center working out with the top of the fingernail, slowly working it out in a kind of circular motion seemed to work fairly good. Then trimmed off the excess. I also have thin chocolate bar foil wrappers which I've yet to try. 

Wow, a B-36- that must have used a lot of foil! And yes, starting in the middle of the panel and working outwards seems to work well

• Like 1