F4U-4 Korean War on the deck

Dear Colleagues

Although the Korean War was famous as the first jet conflict, the reality was that most sorties were by WWII vintage piston era aircraft.  For the USN this meant a return to conflict for the Corsair.  This is the Revell F4U-4 Corsair with Eduard PE and decals from Print scale for an aircraft flown by Lt Pullman of VF-193 onboard USS Princeton in August 1952.  The decals are terrifyingly thin and fold into themselves as soon as you look at them.  The paint is from the new AK range which I found very impressive.  The engineering of the kit is a mixed bag, the cockpit isn't correct for the F4U-4 (Eduard to the rescue), the chin air intake needed to be drilled out and the wing layout is only appropriate for an early 6-gun 50 cal aircraft.  Nevertheless, the panel lines are perfect for the scale.  The deck handler admittedly belongs to a more modern era (Reedoak), but at least you get an impression of the size of the aircraft.  The deck and backdrop are from Coastal Kits

RUNqRuC.jpg

c0SEKko.jpg

ZRQzdJh.jpg

7DOoPx4.jpg

gR6zYN7.jpg

Hope you like it?

Regards

Andrew

• Like 48
  • Thanks 1

Super build and presentation Andrew - I can give no more praise than it looks more like a 1/48 scale model than 1/72 - it really is very nice!

Cheers

Malcolm

Very nice dash four! That AK sea blue looks very good for the postwar ANA 623 formula. Sure doesn't look like a 1/72 kit.

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
added text

Thank you colleagues for your kind comments.

I perhaps now ought to confess I busted off the pitot tube and still haven't found it on the floor.  I fear my wife's next vacuuming session will settle the matter!  Also Revell forgot the ventral radio altimeter aerials which I guess i ought to scratch build (did anyone notice?)

The AK paint was their dark sea blue which seems to me to be spot on!

Regards

Andrew

On 29/05/2020 at 20:46, AndrewCJ50 said:

the wing layout is only appropriate for an early 6-gun 50 cal aircraft. 

AFAIK, the 6 gun layout stayed the same on the F4U -4 from the -1,  a small number were built as F4U-4B with  4 cannon wing, but not many. (I've been thinking and reading about Corsairs, 297 -4B out of  a run of 2,357 -4 in total according to https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=AMCnCwAAQBAJ&pg=PA30&lpg=PA30&dq=f4u+corsair+production+numbers++by+variant&source=bl&ots=Zzqu-3-fm1&sig=ACfU3U3EdAL6DA66m_bcbk2vym2gD0SyKQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiHlvO57tzpAhWWaRUIHf4UCi4Q6AEwDnoECAwQAQ#v=onepage&q=f4u corsair production numbers by variant&f=false)

This armament was standard on the -5, AU-1 and -7 though

Really well built and carefully weathered model, combined with careful display and photography :goodjob:

• Like 1