Which is the best Hawker Hunter?

On the A17 in Lincolnshire sits the Anglia Motel, and in the car park there is a Hawker Hunter.

If I was to model this, which kit would be the best to go for?

Any scale will do, unless you say 1/12scale or something equally huge.

Perhaps the mods could move your topic to the Cold War section? Chances are you'll get more replies there than in the WW2 one.

In 1/72nd and 1/32nd the best mainstream Hunter kits are the Revell F.6 and FGA.9/58, in 1/48th the new tool Airfix look like a great kit. All need modificationd to represent an F.1.

HTH,

Andre

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Hook said:

In 1/72nd and 1/32nd the best mainstream Hunter kits are the Revell F.6 and FGA.9/58, in 1/48th the new tool Airfix look like a great kit. All need modificationd to represent an F.1

Indeed it helps

• Thanks 1

How close do you want to get?

Paint scheme?

Markings?

Mark details?

All above mentioned represent very well unmistakenly a Hawker Hunter!

There is also a Academy / Italeri one in 48th.  Depends on your resources, experience and mojo!

Edited by exdraken

To make the F.1 the Airfix 1:48 Hunter F.4 kit is by far the best option. You can build it straight from the box as it has the small tail pipe, short airbrake, and just follow the instructions to remove the outer wing leading edge extensions.

There are very minor engine vent differences in the upper fuselage (due to Airfix using the F.6 upper wings/fuselage), but there is an aftermarket detail set to correct those.

It all comes down to how fussy you want to be.

Edit, in early (maybe all?) service F.1s weren't fitted with the under fuselage bulges below the cockpit.  So check references for what you want to build.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Edit, in early (maybe all?) service F.1s weren't fitted with the under fuselage bulges below the cockpit.  So check references for what you want to build.

It does have the Sabrinas

https://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/hunter/survivor.php?id=22

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

It does have the Sabrinas

I know WT680 does now, as do some of the other preserved F.1s, but if you wanted to model it in service I would carefully check references.

Many F.1s seemed to have gained the link collector bulges when they were ground maintenance airframes.

Edited by 71chally
  • Thanks 1

...well it wasn't clear to me, also other people read these threads for information, both on and off the forum, and personally I would find it useful to know that how this Hunter is displayed now is not necessarily how it looked while in service. 

more information the better, up to the individual how they use it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

It seemed clear from the original post that he wanted to model the aircraft as he's seen it outside the hotel. 

19 hours ago, 71chally said:

...well it wasn't clear to me, also other people read these threads for information, both on and off the forum, and personally I would find it useful to know that how this Hunter is displayed now is not necessarily how it looked while in service. 

more information the better, up to the individual how they use it.

Guys, chill. If truth be told I was vague in my initial post but it can be easily read as that is how I want to model it, as it is now, which is probably how I would as I can go look at it anytime as it is just around the corner from me.

The information about in service condition is very helpful as I would say that it's probably not wearing an in service paint scheme but I am not sure of that, being a civvie and a casual observer.

• Like 2

Just in case you go the in service route, I've never seen a service shot of WT680, but it served with the West Raynham Station Flight and then the Day Fighter Leaders' School of the Central Fighter Establishment from the same base.

This was the same unit that lost six Hunter F.1s in one sortie when the weather suddenly deteriorated and they ran out of fuel in Feb 1956. Two other Hunters were on the same sortie, it would be interesting to know if this was one of those.

This is a pure guess from me, but I think unit markings were minimal, a single letter code, the overall finish being the gloss dark sea grey and dark green camo top with dull silver undersides.

@StephenMG Might be able to help more.

Another reason that I have mentioned about the service condition of F.1s and WT680 is that it does present the modeller with the fairly unusual opportunity to make the kit without the link collector bulges, and in many cases without any underwing pylons etc.  A good way of making the glorious Hunter in its pure form!

hawker

BTW the corrected small engine (F.1 & 4) vents for the Airfix kit is here, https://aerocraftmodels.bigcartel.com/product/hawker-hunter-f-4-corrected-spine-for-airfix-kit

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/30/2020 at 8:24 AM, 71chally said:

I know WT680 does now, as do some of the other preserved F.1s, but if you wanted to model it in service I would carefully check references.

Many F.1s seemed to have gained the link collector bulges when they were ground maintenance airframes.

Many of the OCU F.1s were retrofitted and flown with them too.

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, 71chally said:

Just in case you go the in service route, I've never seen a service shot of WT680, but it served with the West Raynham Station Flight and then the Day Fighter Leaders' School of the Central Fighter Establishment from the same base.

This was the same unit that lost six Hunter F.1s in one sortie when the weather suddenly deteriorated and they ran out of fuel in Feb 1956. Two other Hunters were on the same sortie, it would be interesting to know if this was one of those.

This is a pure guess from me, but I think unit markings were minimal, a single letter code, the overall finish being the gloss dark sea grey and dark green camo top with dull silver undersides.

@StephenMG Might be able to help more.

Another reason that I have mentioned about the service condition of F.1s and WT680 is that it does present the modeller with the fairly unusual opportunity to make the kit without the link collector bulges, and in many cases without any underwing pylons etc.  A good way of making the glorious Hunter in its pure form!

BTW the corrected small engine (F.1 & 4) vents for the Airfix kit is here, https://aerocraftmodels.bigcartel.com/product/hawker-hunter-f-4-corrected-spine-for-airfix-kit

DFLS aircraft are interesting as they offer a fairly rare chance for an F.1 with a smidge of colour. The DFLS comprised two Flights, ‘A’ (coloured red) and ‘B’ (coloured yellow), the spine and fin leading edge being colour-coded accordingly. This a profile of WT648 I crayoned for the recent(ish) Pen & Sword Flightcraft Hunter book (which I thoroughly recommend - shameless plug!). Heaven knows which flight WT680 was in, but you've got a 50% chance of guessing correctly! :)

spacer.png

As @71chally says, colour scheme is gloss Dark Green/Dark Sea Grey/High Speed Silver with a hard edge to the camo pattern. Also of interest is the early practice of painting the individual identity code on the tailcone. This didn't last long as it was a pain in the ar*e when servicing as the (interchangeable) tailcone had to be kept with the correct aircraft or repainted if moved.

Note, if modelling an aircraft without link collectors, the cartridge chutes need to be repositioned to their original, one above the other, position in the radio bay doors. I can also thoroughly recommend the Aerocraft spine correction.

Mark

Edited by StephenMG
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, StephenMG said:

DFLS aircraft are interesting as they offer a fairly rare chance for an F.1 with a smidge of colour.

While on the subject, RoG's 1/72nd F.6 has even more colorful CFE markings with the entire fin in yellow in addition to the wing bands and spine.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-04350-hawker-hunter-fmk6--103670

Nice kit if you can get it.

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

On 5/29/2020 at 9:43 PM, Abandoned Project said:

Anglia Motel

WOW, firstly I think - Anglia - Англия - 

"Russian here!" 😁 but

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglia

"Anglia may refer to:

Places

• The medieval Latin name for England, similarly found in several other languages"

It turns out in Russian, the medieval Latin name of England is still used!

😲

On the A17 in Lincolnshire sits the Anglia Motel, and in the car park there is a Hawker Hunter.

Any scale will do, unless you say 1/12scale or something equally huge.

I do not quite understand if the "Hunter’s diorama is supposed to be parked at the motel with the motel" or just Hunters without the motel?

About Hunter in 72nd scale.

Only one Hunter F.Mk.1 maked in 72nd scale it's FROG/NOVO/E.t.c., but this best model for 60-years because contain only 17 pieces!

Ofcource to bring this Hunter to modern standards of modeling You will need a lot of time, effort and skill ...at least You should be able to rescribe the panels line.

Therefore, if You want to get an acceptable Hunter at 72nd scale without spending time, You need conversion Revell from Hunter F.Mk.6 to Hunter F.Mk.1.

For basic conversion You  may use:

Blackbird Models | No. BMA72020 | 1:72 conversion set Hawker Hunter F.1/2/4/5

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/blackbird-models-bma72020-hawker-hunter-f1-2-4-5--1024507

or

Wolfpack design 

No. WP72031 | 1:72 conversion set Hawker Hunter F.1/2/4/5

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/wolfpack-design-wp72031-hawker-hunter-f1-2-4-5-conversion-set--208208

or also probably You may use 

Upgrade for the first prototype of HAWKER HUNTER + vacu canopy + decal sheet kit

Pavla Models | No. U72-68 | 1:72

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/pavla-models-u72-68-upgrade-first-prototype-hawker-hunter-vacu-canopy-decal-sheet-kit--153123

You also may use other detal set - photoetched, resin set ( wheel, wheel bay, cockpit, ejection seat, e.t.c),  vacuum canopy.

B.R.

Serge

Edited by Aardvark
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi, Serge, 

Just to give you a little more information about where the Hunter is. The A17 is a road that runs through the south of Lincolnshire, which is very flat land and towards a town called King's Lynn. In summer it is very busy with holiday traffic going to the coast in Norfolk. Norfolk is one of the counties in the bit that sticks out of Britain on the Eastern side of the country and that bit of the country is known as East Anglia and was one of the parts of Britain controlled by the Angles and the Saxons, a group of tribes from northern Germany and Holland, who came to Britain towards the end of the Roman occupation of Britain (as mercenaries in the Roman Army) and stayed and then more arrived  after the the collapse of Roman rule in the early fifth century CE. I have roots in the area as my mother's family lived near there. I have seen the Hunter several times when we have travelled down there and here is the co-ordinates to put into Google 

Earth - 52°48'24"N 0°03'35"E. It is an area full of aviation links as before and during World War Two a lot of airfields were built and a few survive. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Mr T said:

In summer it is very busy with holiday traffic going to the coast in Norfolk. Norfolk is one of the counties in the bit that sticks out of Britain on the Eastern side of the country

Hi, Mr.T, 

one could not write about Norfolk, because anyone here who is somehow interested in military matters knows that Norfolk is the largest base of the Royal Navy.

In fact, my surprise was that in our school and university programs, English is always talked about England,

Britain, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, United Kingdom of great Britain and Northern Ireland....Albion(!)...Misty Albion, but never talked about Anglia.

And of course, they pay more attention to the difference between British English and American English, but they don’t practically talk about Old English, but I suspect you didn’t hear about Old Russian.

In addition to what I wrote earlier.  

Despite the fact that Revell at 72th is a pretty good model, he has a mistake with the dimensions of the main wheels as minimum ( as maximum no intake, questions to canopy, e.t.c), so an aftermarket is desirable.  But if You are not

binding to 

72 scale, I would recommend Airfix the Hunter in 1/48.  In general, I think many fans of 72 scale would throw their Revell Hunter if Airfix reduces its Hunter from 48th to 72nd.

B.R.

Serge

Getting a bit off topic, but it does surprise me (and irritates as well) the way that British and English are used to mean the same thing. I live in England, which is part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Island and I am a British citizen. 

• Sad 1

54 minutes ago, Mr T said:

Getting a bit off topic, but it does surprise me (and irritates as well) the way that British and English are used to mean the same thing. I live in England, which is part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Island and I am a British citizen. 

It's the same with the Netherlands, - "Holland" consists of just two of our twelve provinces. 

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 2

/more offtopic
Leave it to the French to really mess things up as they call it Pays-Bas or Low Countries - historically including Flanders which is a federal state of Belgium.

Gentlemen, I did not set myself the goal of annoying anyone, I was just surprised at an unfamiliar word and explained the reasons why I had such a surprise, that's all.  

If someone thinks I shouldn’t do this, I apologize!

B.R.

Serge

• Like 2

Don't worry, annoying people is just a side-benefit of discussion forums!  [That is, causing annoyance TO people.  "Annoying PEOPLE" (present company excluded, naturally) is another matter.]  OK, I'll shut up now, before I annoy somebody.

Edited by gingerbob
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/3/2020 at 8:34 AM, Hook said:

It's the same with the Netherlands, - "Holland" consists of just two of our twelve provinces. 

Cheers,

Andre

Why does the dutch football team get called Holland in that case ? As I've even seem the football term referred to as Holland whilst i was in the Netherlands.

Edited by gareth