F4U-1A VMF-214

I just received this yesterday and already have some cockpit detail painting done. I am

going to do it as Gregg Boyington's 1A either side number 883 or the last plane he flew

915. I am hoping to get Fundekals but if not 915 will be easy as all I really need is some

white numbers of the correct size and font. Easy to find and those planes did not have a

lot of anything but the basic stars and bars and a few numbers. I don't think 915 had nose art

or kill markings as the planes were usually shared by multiple pilots and squadrons.---John

SkUWOmF.jpg

vUDPCyt.jpg

wAfMO3d.jpg

• Like 6

I just noticed the kit has 2 sprues for the cockpit, one for the 1A and one for the -1 or -2 birdcage and it also

has the radome for the wing tip for the -2. Got me interested in doing a birdcage, last one I did was Tamiyas'

1/72 as Boyington's F4U-1 side number 83. Was that a beautiful kit like it's big brother!---John

MKps9lU.jpg

• Like 2

I have the wing "stubs or roots" assembled and installed on the fuselage. I got them

to fit snugly with Tamiya thin cement and a little "holding pressure" from my fingers.---John

HnOH7wm.jpg

• Like 1

The wings and flaps are on in the down position. I had to do some puttying as the fit was

less than stellar. This is the only complaint I have about this kit, I wished they would have 2

boxings, one for wings folded and one wings down.---John

fD7Gt0k.jpg

• Like 2

It is all ready for masking and painting. I have the white and Navy blue, waiting on the

intermediate blue, that should be here this week.---John

XuRbXuW.jpg

WG26S9P.jpg

• Like 2