von Richthofen's OTHER Triplane (Roden 1/32)

(Of course, he actually had a few at one time or another....)

Sorting through some old files, not a new build but one I don't believe I ever posted here. Roden's good-but-basic 1/32 Dreidecker release, built essentially to confirm that my long-stored Gunsight Graphics Fokker 'streak' decals were still viable. (They were, with bells on!) This particular scheme was always my favorite among those the Baron flew...and the one which, if memory serves, actually survived the war to be displayed in one of the Berlin museums...only to be destroyed by Allied bombing during WW2.

Only real 'fix' to the kit was learned about from online reviews...clipping the gear struts slightly so it didn't sit quite so nose-high. Added cockpit detail was part-scratchbuilt, part various etch bits and pieces from Eduard and Part from Poland. Paints were Tamiya acrylics, rigging from EZ-Line. Decals other than the streaking were mostly the kit's, plus a few spares to change a/c number and such. Upper wing crosses had the whites overpainted in a thin glaze to simulate the same, painted-out and weathered, on the real a/c.

Since it was the Rittmeister's mount, I presumed weathering would have been minimal...though I should probably have added a few streaks around the engine and muddied up the tires a bit. Oh well....

Hope you enjoy!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

My favourite of MvR's Dr.1 aircraft--and a very clean build.  I would add some dirt and dust on the wheels and those rotary engines leak castor oil and smoke like no one's business.  No way to keep that clean.  Still, a lovely build all around.

• Thanks 1

Such a lovely Dr.I! The appearance is just perfect - I would also assume that the Baron's ship was wiped clean between missions. The colourful liveries of WWI and their owners demanded this effort.

• Thanks 1

Great looking Fokker. Not the easiest kit to build since we've been spoiled with Wingnuts but you've done a great job.

Thanks for sharing,

Mark

• Thanks 1

A very fine build. As is typical for me, I focused on the cockpit once I saw the photos and it's exquisitely done. My compliments on very fine work!

• Thanks 1